Yet more Glow Plug Troubleshooting - 1992 F250 IDI - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet more Glow Plug Troubleshooting - 1992 F250 IDI

OK, I have been limping along with no functional GP system for a couple of years and have finally decided to fix this if it kills me.

Today I have just replaced the GP controller and solenoid with a brand new unit from NAPA. I know this is good. The harness from the controller to each GP was replaced as well. I ohmed each GP, and each of them reads between 0.6 and 1.0 ohms. COntroller is grounded all the way back to the battery.

I ran a jumper from the battery to the small terminal that energizes the solenoid, and the the solenoid cycles about once/second. Glow plugs are not getting hot.

Any idea what could be causing this? Batteries are a little weak, but they still crank the engine. I don't think it is the batteries.

I read somewhere else that the plugs should ohm at 0.6 to 2.0 ohms. Is the fact that all of them are down around 0.6 enough resistance to make the controller cycle like this? Glow plugs are the only thing left to replace, but I wanted a second opinion before I spend another $100 on a set when they appear to be OK.
321,000 miles
Bought it brand new in 1992. Fisher-Vincent Ford in Belton, TX

Last edited by Burdizzo; 02-27-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Burdizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

you need to replace those plugs. You want btwn .5 and 1 ohms.

I'm gonna sign my name in that diesel smoke and let the ones that come along behind me choke!
johnboggs21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Replaced the plugs. No dice.
321,000 miles
Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can take each plug out and use some jumper cables. Put the ground of the jumper cable to the bolt part of the plug, where you would put the wrench, and then touch the positive of the jumper cable to the connector of the plug for only a second. It should get real hot real quick. Set it down gently and go onto the next. This is what I've done in the past. If you have a good relay and box, it should click when you turn the key on to heat up the plugs. I had a bad mount where the relay sits. (it's the box that mounts to the head) I replaced the relay, still didn't fire up, replaced the box and cranked right up after replacing a few plugs. Hopes this helps a bit.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

All the plugs are good.

I think I have it licked. I replaced the two yellow 10 gauge wires coming from the terminal on the left fender. The fusible link had burned out some time back, and I had made several attempts to replace it with limited success. However, there was still power on the hot side of the GPR. I assumed the circuit coming from the yellow wires was still good, but then I read somewhere else that these wires can build up resistance over time and cause weird things to happen (and the fusible link to blow continuously).

I replaced the entire length of wire with new fusible links from the fender to the GPR, and it seems to have solved the problem.
321,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.