york compressor install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
york compressor install

There was some talk a while back about on board air.How fast will a York fill up say a 30 gallon tank?Also,how much trouble would it be to install one where the AC compressor once sat?Think I am gonna omit the AC on the Enterprise when it hits the road again......I can live with 4-70 AC.Did it for 5 years with White Lightning.....except it was 1 1/2-70 since the drivers side window died and only had the vent on that side.

1994 F350 Crew Cab Dually,7.3 IDI turbo-Blowed up. White Lightning

1971 M35A2 deuce and a half. Martyr Machine

1971 M35A2 deuce and a half.Messiah

1957 M52 gasser 5 ton tractor

Cousteau 2006 Ranger STX-3.0 V6,5spd handshaker,standard cab

2004 F550 6.0L 6spd 4x4
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: york compressor install

I contacted them about 3 weeks ago and they said they don't make a system for our engines. I told the guy that I still have the A/C compressor brackets on the truck, but I don't think I got thru his THICK HEAD. If you can 'GET THRU' let me know. Baja
Click HERE
<font color="red">1987 F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, DRW, w/'91 7.3 TURBO-CHARGED BY ATS, no-Wastegate(Turbo rebuilt by me 7/2005)</font>, <font color="blue">E4OD Auto, Aux Trans Cooler w/12" fan, w/Baumann Programable Trans Computer-12/05</font>, Rebuilt Injection Pump-2/03, Electric Fuel Pump, Coolant Filter, "BajaGringo Block Drains, 5-Row Radiator Core-9/04, 2 New Plastic Fuel Tanks w/new Sending Units/Pickups, Fuel Filler Neck Mods, Air Ram Intake, Air-Lift SuperDuty AirBags with Smart Lift Auto Leveling-7/2005 <font color="blue">Link to Photo of "OkieGringo Idler Pulley"</font>
<font color="red">Link to GP Controller Diagram</font> <font color="blue">Link to "Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram"</font>
OkieGringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I contacted them about 3 weeks ago and they said they don't make a system for our engines. I told the guy that I still have the A/C compressor brackets on the truck, but I don't think I got thru his THICK HEAD. If you can 'GET THRU' let me know. Baja
Click HERE

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad Kilby at Onboardair.com does know something about York installations for our trucks, so you must not have talked to him. He doesn't sell a kit though.

Therrold Engineering in El Centro CA did market a kit for 1980's Ford diesels that used a York for an air compressor while keeping the stock A/C. Brad bought all of the tooling and jigs from Therrold when the owner retired. Problem was that none of the jigs or brackets were labeled, and most have long since been scrapped. I spent an afternoon a few years ago in Brad's warehouse searching the old Therrold stuff for anything that might work, with no luck.

However, if you are going to scrap the stock A/C compressor and use a York for air, you can probably make the stock A/C mounts work. Use a York as a template for modifying the brackets if necessary. You may need to change pulleys to fit your belt set-up. Brad can help you with pulleys as he has a very good machine shop that makes them for him. He can also sell you a new compressor if you can't find a suitable one at your local junkyard.
1987 F-250 XLT Lariat, 4x4, Reg. Cab, Longbed,with Callen camper, 137,000 miles. Normally aspirated 6.9 with Hypermax cowl induction, Racor fuel filter. C-6/1356 tc/GearVendor/4.10 posi/33 BFGs. Stanadyne in tanks and Jeep in tow.

http://outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/home/jeep-l/billsr.htm
RDBillsJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I almost forgot - there is an alternative to an engine-driven compressor.

If all you are doing is running an air horn and need air for tires, etc., and don't plan to run air tools on a regular basis, you can do what I am doing:

I have a Thomas 1/3 HP 12v compressor (no puny Quik-Air or Vi-Air for me)that I pulled from my jeep when I converted the jeep's stock Sanden A/C compressor to use for air. I recently ordered a dual battery tray from Wrangler NW Power Products that replaces the passenger side battery tray for 1980's F-series gasser trucks. (The same tray is available from Mechman.com.) The batterys stay in their original positions and use the stock battery cables, and the Thomas compressor mounts on the extra space on the new dual battery tray. The compressor is powered through a constant duty solenoid with a pressure switch that turns it on when pressure drops below 70 psi and off at 105, with a master switch under the dash. I have a 2 1/2 gal. tank that I got from Onboardair.com that I will mount on the passenger frame rail under the cab.

This system has served me well in the jeep, so I have every expectation that it will work just as well in the truck.
1987 F-250 XLT Lariat, 4x4, Reg. Cab, Longbed,with Callen camper, 137,000 miles. Normally aspirated 6.9 with Hypermax cowl induction, Racor fuel filter. C-6/1356 tc/GearVendor/4.10 posi/33 BFGs. Stanadyne in tanks and Jeep in tow.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

Bob, where can I pick up a Thomas 1/3 HP 12v compressor, and about how much do they cost. I already ordered a AirLift SmartAir automatic leveling system for the AirLift Air Bags, but I'd still be interested in something with a little more power. Living down here in Mexico and the severe hassle to cross the border after a 2 hour drive, makes it real friggin hard to deal with someone like the on-board air guy. My Broadband phone only works when the DSL works and that isn't real regular. We are beyond the limits of reliable service, but it's still better than dial-up. And calling the US on the Mexican phone system costs almost $1.00/minute [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]. Towcat is sending me a electric vacuum pump along with another drivers side exhaust manifold, so I'm going to be running out of room under the hood real soon. I've been thinking of making some kind of storage compartment in the dually wells. Lots of wasted space there. Could use at least 6" of the top area and stainless piano hinge? Baja
<font color="red">1987 F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, DRW, w/'91 7.3 TURBO-CHARGED BY ATS, no-Wastegate(Turbo rebuilt by me 7/2005)</font>, <font color="blue">E4OD Auto, Aux Trans Cooler w/12" fan, w/Baumann Programable Trans Computer-12/05</font>, Rebuilt Injection Pump-2/03, Electric Fuel Pump, Coolant Filter, "BajaGringo Block Drains, 5-Row Radiator Core-9/04, 2 New Plastic Fuel Tanks w/new Sending Units/Pickups, Fuel Filler Neck Mods, Air Ram Intake, Air-Lift SuperDuty AirBags with Smart Lift Auto Leveling-7/2005 <font color="blue">Link to Photo of "OkieGringo Idler Pulley"</font>
<font color="red">Link to GP Controller Diagram</font> <font color="blue">Link to "Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram"</font>
OkieGringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Bob, where can I pick up a Thomas 1/3 HP 12v compressor, and about how much do they cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currie uses the Thomas compressor for their onboard air system. I think they are also available from Graingers and McMaster Carr. List price isn't cheap though.

I was lucky. I bought mine from Brad Kilby at onboardair.com when he was first getting into the business. His primary business is surplus aircraft parts and he had happened upon an entire pallet of Thomas compressors which he sold at very good prices.

Thomas also manufactures a 1/4 HP , 100% duty cycle compressor which is the same size as the 1/3 HP version and works just as well for on board air.

I would think the best price would be somewhere on the Internet, or used. You might try the message boards for Jeepaholics Anonymous to see if anyone there has one they would part with. A lot of posters there are from San Diego and I know Brad sold quite a few of the Thomas compressors to jeepers in that area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.