The Diesel Stop banner

1984 6.9l diesel fuel selector valve

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pgmcguinness 
#1 ·
To the diesel gods:
I own a 1984 F-250 6.9 liter diesel with two fuel tanks. It has an inline fuel tank electric valve/switch mounted on the frame forward of both fuel tanks. The switch sticks! The other day I switched flipped the switch on the dash to switch tanks and it stuck. The truck ran out of fuel, so I switched it back and tried to re-start the truck. No cigar. There is a schrader valve mounted to the top housing of the engine fuel filter, I tried to vent the fuel system by cranking the engine while depressing the schrader valve, and I have not fuel coming up from the fuel pump. I checked the fuel filter and it is virtually full. I am thinking the valve is stuck and it will not let any fuel to the fuel pump. I am certain there is fuel in both tanks.
The truck ran fine up until I tried to switch tanks so I am thinking it is not the fuel pump (diaphram type).
I have a Chilton manual but it is light on data on this topic, I have always gotten great help on the forum, need some expert help.
My next step is to try and run the rear tank direct to the engine fuel line, but this truck has a return line system and I would need to figure out which lines are the supply versus the return. If you know about how Ford set this up on the selector valve, you are my hero.
Thanks for any help.
Pete

See less See more
#2 ·
You will need to find a Pollack brand replacement......it should come with all you need to convert it.

Here is an old post .........
FYI, I did find a similar FSV at a local parts store for $85 canadian. It's made by the same company (Pollack) that made the original, and even the electrical pin-out is the same. Up here, it is boxed and sold under the Echlin name part #UN-52. A pigtail is sold separately and must be used as the plug is a slightly different style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.