1985 6.9 glow plugs won't heat up - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1985 6.9 glow plugs won't heat up

I have a 1985 F-250 when I turn the key
the wait to start lamp flickers on and off about every 1/2 second
and the glow plug relay clicks on and off rapidly as well, I cranked the motor
and it could not start. Im a new diesel owner and need help

thank you for any info
miketheband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

also no power driving in the mountains Im like one of those semi's chuging up hill at 40 mph
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I just read a thread that is similar in description of your problem. It is under 6.9 Forum as 1987-6-9-glow-plug-problem-290399/. I am not sure how to link you to thread. A newbie as well.
1987 F250 2WD 6.9_C6_4:10_AT
165,000 and counting
HilhavenFarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to NH2112 Send a message via Yahoo to NH2112
It sounds like you have 2 or more burned out glow plugs. Replacing them with a new set of plugs from the Ford or Navistar dealership should fix things.

As far as the lack of power in the mountains, that's typical for a naturally-aspirated diesel. If the engine starts lugging drop down a gear and get the RPMs up to keep from melting a piston.

Check my lists of common part numbers in my photos! Updated often!

1991 F350 Lariat XLT, 7.3l, 5-speed, crew cab, SRW, 3.55, 2WD.

1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, in the process of a major overhaul/upgrade. OM617 on the horizon! Front & rear Dana 44s from a Wagoneer till I get some 1-ton axles built & narrowed, and eventually a front shackle reversal. Diesel YJ, bay-BEE, and not a cookie-cutter 4BT conversion!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Second the glow plug issue, and the mountain issue. I took my '86 6.9l crew through the Appalachian mountains and did alot of down shifting. Do you have any smoke out the tail pipe and what color. In the freak chance your lack of power is a mechanical issue it could be a bad IP, happened to me in Virginia.
carboy400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Update I swapped out all 8 glow plugs had in motorcraft and replaced with the same 7 out of 8 were definately bad holes in them or fell apart while taking them out but it wasn't to bad and I bought a new glow plug relay and installed it...

after I was done went to turn the key and no wait to start light came on and no clicking from the relay.... dang. upon inspection i realized the chinese one from o'rilleys auto
was backwards from the original usa one so i flipped it around and still nothing. crap
so I put the original one back in and nothing. did I blow a fuse or fry something???
if so is there a 60 amp fuse hiding somewhere If anyone want my cell is 708-663-5551
or i check this 4 times a day thank you with the quick responces and all your help
Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
IIRC you may have white and yellow wires going to the controller..... which have grey connectors check the connectors and wires for burn marks. Or you may have black connectors with orange and black wires.....

I don't think you have fusible links but check for them too.

Heres what happens:
http://static.flickr.com/34/68580047_f4ed3d46bf_b.jpg

heres a bigger view:
http://static.flickr.com/35/68580063_2b83ee30ff_b.jpg

heres what you do for the fix:
http://static.flickr.com/34/68580052_948f297467_b.jpg

Hope they work....

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

my wires look good im going to get another new relay and see if thats the issue my bypass doesn't work so not sure whats up
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Not sure wether you just changed the relay or the whole glow plug controller, but here is the connection's.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 08-12-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

mine looks just like that. ... its under the relay right? i cant find that part anywhere
at the auto parts shop the keep pulling out the bolt in one but my truck doesnt have it
also was driving and turned off the truck at the store and now no power anywhere and i cant get it started I jumped the starter and turnes over but no start
Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

I replaced the positive battery cables $110 and it started up with a little starting fluid
and yes glow plugs aren't working so I need to order the glow plug controller mines located under the relay on the back middle top of the motor

what injectors are good and where to get a IP I want to tune it up and get it running right... real bogged down but I did haul 3k of 2in stone to day 15 miles
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
do you have any heavy truck guys near you? if so, ask them where they get IPs rebuilt. otherwise check out site sponsors.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
ZOP

Send a message via ICQ to ZOP Send a message via AIM to ZOP Send a message via Yahoo to ZOP
Gotta remember these trucks aren't super power houses. And without a turbo if you're up in elevation they lose quite a lot of power. Dunno how steep of a hill you mean by "mountains" nor what gear you're in but you're not likely to be able to pull up a lot of hills in overdrive if you've an OD trans. Most of the time I do "OK" in 4th gear with mine, as long as I'm unloaded (no camper topper on mine either).

Clinton, MT
Lunatic In Charge(tm) of The Diesel Files
ZOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

update I got a new glow plug controller and relay installed them and still no glow plugs
When turning the key the relay clicks on and off rapidly every 1/2 second and no wait to start light. what else could it be.

Also bought new injectors and fuel return line kit and replaced the injectors and they leaked when I started the truck then I marked the timing and took off the Ip and lines together and really torqued the injectors down on the copper washers and hooked everything back up and it wont start even with either and the block heater doesn't work
any help figuring this out is greatly appreciated any ideas on parts and tools I may need
to get it up and running again ? thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
ZOP

Send a message via ICQ to ZOP Send a message via AIM to ZOP Send a message via Yahoo to ZOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketheband View Post
update I got a new glow plug controller and relay installed them and still no glow plugs
When turning the key the relay clicks on and off rapidly every 1/2 second and no wait to start light. what else could it be.

Also bought new injectors and fuel return line kit and replaced the injectors and they leaked when I started the truck then I marked the timing and took off the Ip and lines together and really torqued the injectors down on the copper washers and hooked everything back up and it wont start even with either and the block heater doesn't work
any help figuring this out is greatly appreciated any ideas on parts and tools I may need
to get it up and running again ? thanks
RE GPs:
Your wiring harness could be bad, grounding to that controller or the block or both could be bad.

RE Injectors:

Make sure to bleed the air out of the high pressure side or it'll take ages and ages of cranking to get the thing to try to fire. Do this by just loosening up one of the injector fuel hard lines at the injector, and crank (being mindful of not cooking your starter motor, 10-15 seconds, wait 30-60, repeat) until fuel comes out. DO NOT PUT YOUR HAND AROUND/OVER THE LOOSENED INJECTOR YOU WILL DAMAGE YOURSELF -- the fuel sprays out with more than enough pressure to cut you, and to inject itself into your blood stream.

Once you start seeing fuel dribbling from the injector you've loosened, tighten it back up. Your explanation of, and order of events makes almost no sense so I'm sort of guessing at what you did.

If you've got no WTS in the cab then light the bulb could be out, or the ground for the bulb (or chassis ground too) could be bad. Any time the relay is closed it should be getting power to that bulb. Could also be wiring issues too.

On the 1985 I've never had "fast cycling" problems, just stuck on, and nada. I actually thought only the later bullet style connectors with the different (Positive Thermal Coefficient/PTC) controller would fast cycle, but I could be totally wrong there.

Clinton, MT
Lunatic In Charge(tm) of The Diesel Files
ZOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.