2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion

SOMEWHERE on here I recall having seen where some one did a changeover from the I-Beam type four wheel drive front axle to a straight axle Dana four wheel drive. Any body know how to find that post? Is it a PIA to convert a 2 wheel drive (twin I-Beam suspension) to a 4 wheel drive using the dana front axlwe which has leaf springs rather than coil springs? If it isnt a pretty straight forward swap I dont want to have to do a lot of cutting and fabbing. Just thinking as I had a friend offer me a donor F-250 with the 4 wheel drive components intact. My truck is an automatic (which I dont want to get away from) and the donor truck has a T-19 with a transfer case that bolts onto the rear of it. Will this transfer case bolt to the C6 with a different tailshaft housing?

Thanks
Leo

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye.. TOTALLY restored to stock configuration and NEW condition My baby
60bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion

You'll have to remove the shackles from the donor and put them on your rig, but the holes should already be there. You may have to drill a few holes in the front crossmember to mount the center supports, but if you have the donor to look at it'll be pretty cut and dry. If I remember correctly those center supports mount through holes on top of the crossmember. You may have to raise the engine to get the bolts in there. I don't know about the steering linkage between the 2wd and independent 4. I'd just park your rig next to the donor and verify all bolt holes and steering. This is all if you want to go with the leaf springs. For the most part everything is pretty cookie cutter when it comes to the chassis holes.

As far as the transfer case...I'll let someone else answer that. I'd think you could work out a swap with someone in the classified section.

Good luck, sounds like a rewarding project.

Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
You may have to raise the engine to get the bolts in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just changed my IFS front to a solid front, and the bolts for the IFS pivots can be reached and removed/installed on the crossmember without lifting the engine.

Zigg [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
ziggster40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may have to raise the engine to get the bolts in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just changed my IFS front to a solid front, and the bolts for the IFS pivots can be reached and removed/installed on the crossmember without lifting the engine.

Zigg [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! NO engine lifting required. As far as my conversion, all holes were already drilled as well, but I was doing a D44 to D60 swap, not 2WD to 4WD, so there may be a difference. Leaf spring brackets will definetely be needed, the D60 also has a track bar that bolts to a bracket that bolts to the back of the crossmember (is this a connect the dots drawing or what!). There are three bolts holding this bracket on, and they run front to rear. The D44 uses holes that run up through the crossmember, as well as one bolt running front to rear IIRC.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the catch fellas.

Mine was all apart when I did my 60, so I wasn't sure on the engine. I remember reading a write up on a 44/60 conversion where the guy just cut off the center supports. That's why I figured you may have to lift the engine. I did have to drill some holes for the 60 sway bar though. Both in the crossmember and the chassis rails. My chassis is an '84. Maybe the later models had the holes already there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

My F350 was an 85, after the production break in Feb. I believe, I no longer have the cab to check, it was falling off the frame and is no being recycled, probably into a ________ (insert favorite brand here, my fire extinguisher is empty)!
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Will this transfer case bolt to the C6 with a different tailshaft housing?

Thanks
Leo

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. It can be bolted to the c-6, but you will also need the output shaft for the 4x4. While the tailhousing is a simple bolt-on, the tailshaft requires complete disassembly of the trans. This is not something I would recommend, unless you are a skilled tranny man, otherwise you might want to have that done...
2005 F-350 CC 4x4 6.0L, Lariat bolt-action. 2.5" Leveling kit, 35*12.50*18 Toyo M/T's, Reflex spray in bedliner. Dieselsite Coolant filter. B&W turnover ball, B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch. MBRP 409 Duals.

Towed vehicle: 2006 Raptor 3712TS toyhauler fiver.(Holy Cow this thing is heavy!)
BigGreenDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.