7.3 Injection Pump In 6.9 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Injection Pump In 6.9

I Guess The Guy I Bought This Truck From Changed Out The 6.9 Injection Pump For A 7.3 And Turned It Up For More Fuel. I Tried Taking It Trough Emissions And Failed 40% Over. What Can I Do To Pass Emission? Or Should I Just Spend The $150 And Get The Waiver. Also How Do I Turn The Pump Down And How Far Should I Turn It Down If I Do So. It Is A 86 F250. Thanks For Any Info.
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

As long as you use 7.3 injectors as well as the pump on a 6.9 it will work out and some power gain can be noticed, but just the pump will over fuel it. As far as making adjustments on the pump itself to turn it up that makes it even worse.

I have not tryed this myself but I know people who have. I thought about it when I had to buy a new IP. However, I didnt want to have to buy injectors too.

If i was you I would invest in 7.3 injectors.

As far as turning IP down, pumps pretty easy to adjust. There is a triangular cover on the side of it that you take off by removing the two 1/4" screws and you will see the hole in the cam ring near the point of the triangular opening. Take a miror and look straight in and rotate the engine until you see a black allen screw in the hole. Turn it out(counterclockwise) one flat of the allen wrench at a time and put it back together. Whenever the black smoke goes away ya got her.

Last edited by trose; 02-19-2008 at 12:05 AM.
trose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trose View Post
As long as you use 7.3 injectors as well as the pump on a 6.9 it will work out and some power gain can be noticed, but just the pump will over fuel it. As far as making adjustments on the pump itself to turn it up that makes it even worse.

I have not tryed this myself but I know people who have. I thought about it when I had to buy a new IP. However, I didnt want to have to buy injectors too.

If i was you I would invest in 7.3 injectors.

As far as turning IP down, pumps pretty easy to adjust. There is a triangular cover on the side of it that you take off by removing the two 1/4" screws and you will see the hole in the cam ring near the point of the triangular opening. Take a miror and look straight in and rotate the engine until you see a black allen screw in the hole. Turn it out(counterclockwise) one flat of the allen wrench at a time and put it back together. Whenever the black smoke goes away ya got her.
7.3L/6.9L injectors are the same basic thing except for the turbo version for the 7.3. To pass emissions, just open the cover, turn it down far so you don;t have to do it 3-5 times. Then just remember how much you did it and turn it back when you get home. One flat at a time takes too long.

Remeber, opposite of a carburetor. Clockwise gives more fuel, counterclockwise decreases fuel. Easy to remember.

99' Crown Vic Police Interceptor (P71) w/Steet apperance package, 4.6L, 4R70W, 3.55 Trac-Loc Differential (DK), Total Cloth Interior, New Honeycomb Grill, Black PI Trunk Bezel, Silverstars, 110K,My 99' CVPI Photos

04' F-150 XL Heritage, 4.6L V8, 4x4, Ext Cab.
Fordiesel69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Another thing to consider is the timing. With our emissions testing I have often found that timing the pump is the difference between failing or passing.

1988 F350 CC 4x4 SRW, 7.3 Banks non-wastegated turbo, C6 w/ HD torque converter, Tru-Cool 4590 trans cooler, Highjacker 'softride' 4" lift, pre/post luber, coolant filter, Racor fuel filter/separator, pyro and boost gauges, Progressive 16x8 wheels, 285-75x16 rubber, 3" downpipe into 4" straight pipe over the rear axle and into 5" SS tip. 1994 Alpenlite 33' 5th wheel trailer
suv7734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Right On Guys, That Helps Me Out So Much. I Really Appreciate All The Help The Members And This Site Brings To The Table.

1 Other Quick Question Is I Want To Run Wvo In My Truck. Is It Possible That I Could Just Run Wvo In The Front Tank As Long As I Heat The Tank Up And Just Switch Back In Forth When Needed?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to VD350
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed1963vw View Post
Right On Guys, That Helps Me Out So Much. I Really Appreciate All The Help The Members And This Site Brings To The Table.

1 Other Quick Question Is I Want To Run Wvo In My Truck. Is It Possible That I Could Just Run Wvo In The Front Tank As Long As I Heat The Tank Up And Just Switch Back In Forth When Needed?

Yes, one problem is though when you switch back to diesel you'll get wvo in the diesel tank. I did it without any issues but some advice would be insulating any exposed fuel lines and to look at how the expensive systems purge themselves

www.Fordemblem.com
My Truck and My Yamaha Tri-Z
VD350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

6.9 injector pump out of time

Ok I am learning though have had some issues in the meanwhile.... getting to the point.
engine starts though it is really tough to get started. my injector pump was loosened and was not marked properly. some say time it with motor running others say not!
I have moved it advanced and retarded and when advance it more it seems tougher to start am afraid to drive it too far as it emits quite a bit of blue smoke as I believe that indicates it is running lean. Dealer is 20 miles away otherwize I would just take it there though I am worried about it scoring a cylinder oh yes it is a 1986 f250 xlt lariat with a raywell intake setup.
logsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

slammed 63--its hard to read the way you are typing the words with capital letters---
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Changing the fuel flow screw will also change the timing. Turn it down 1 flat or so (1/6 turn) then set the timing with a proper timing meter.

There is 0 difference between 6.9 & 7.3 injectors in reality. There are different codes, but the differences are very slight (so I've been told) and any of them will work. You'll get no befit chaging injectors, except that which you'd get from new injectors anyway.

IMHO, turning the fuel up on these without a turbo or so way of increasing the air flow is a waste, since you're just wasting fuel, and have a very real chance of blowing the motor up. These NA motor run high EGT's anyway, and more fuel just makes it worse, and if everything is in good shape, the stock setup will give you enough fuel you can burn. More fuel just goes into smoke and raises the EGT's.

Now, you would get extra power from advanced timing, and IMHO, this is the only reason turning up the fuel feel like more power. (that, and you make more smoke so everyone thinks you look cool. ) But, increasing the timing in not good for the motor either. Turn the fuel back down, get the timing set right, then try again.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.