85 dually brake drum removal help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
85 dually brake drum removal help

Got a 85 f350 dump 2WD. I wanted to check the rear brake system, but I cant get the drums off. PB blased em and beat on them for a while before i looked into my haynes manual. They made it sound like i needed to remove the axle shaft and hub assy first. Drums look to me like they should come off like a typical SRW drum, maybe i just need to beat on them some more? I believe the axle is a DRW Sterling 10.25. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Jgravel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Most likely the drum is mounted behind the hub, with the wheel studs running through both. I believe there are exceptions to this but not sure which cases.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am sure you have to pull the axles. Also back the brake shoes off with a brake spoon. I cannot count how many times that I have had customers bring a rig in that they couldn't remove the drums and it was because the shoes were hung in the groove in the drums and with a simple few turns of the adjusting wheel the drums came right off.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wicked_rain

Where It Ends Just Depends On Where You Start
Wicked_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
cra

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure you have removed the keepers off the studs. There are usually two and the drum should then slide off. There is no need to remove axle shafts if it it the full floating axle.

09 Chevy 2500 LTZ Duramax
cra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

When you say "keepers" on the studs, do you mean like a thin push nut type deal? I dont recall seeing anything but i will check before i remove shafts. I have never removed full float shafts. Do I just need to remove the 8 or so bolts on the hub then slide it out? Then brake drum would be bolted on the inside to hub assy.? Speacial tools? Thanks for the help
Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any chance you can take some pics of what you have? Pics of the brake drum area and the pumpkin section will help us identify the axle and make it easier to help. You may have a one piece drum/hub assembly. In that case you need to remove the axle shafts and then the wheel bearings to be able to slide the hub and drum off. Also, in this case you'll need the proper socket to remove the wheel bearing nuts. Some of the older units use a 2 9/16" socket while others use a 4 or 6 prong socket. This is where pics help! Any reputable auto-parts store should have these sockets and help with which one you need.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ill get some pics on here tomarrow afternoon,thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

here are those pics. sorry there not the best. it has 12 bolt cover with two on the driver side being studs. no 60,70,80 in the web casting like a Dana ID#. There is another plate/hub derectly behind the drum where the wheel studs go through. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
85 dually brake drum removal help-dsc01799.jpg   85 dually brake drum removal help-dsc01798.jpg   85 dually brake drum removal help-dsc01797.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Did you try backing off the shoes?

http://community.webshots.com/user/wicked_rain

Where It Ends Just Depends On Where You Start
Wicked_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

yes, shoes are backed off. I will soak in oil and beat on them some more, but I would like to make sure there not bolted to the hub. we'll see.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
from your photos, it looks like mine does. The drum will slide off.
Problem is most likely they are "glued" to the hub.

Use a propane torch to heat the drum where the lug studs are. then spray a good amount of penetrating oil (Pb Blaster or Kroil) into the space where the lug studs come through the drum. then with a large flathead screwdriver, pry gently at the back of the drum against the backing plate. at the same time use a good hammer and hit the drum between the lug studs.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

sounds like a plan. Ill pull wheels off tomarrow and heavily soak it in PB overnite. then ill heat and beat. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yup, definitely a Sterling rearend and the drums should slide off the hubs. Like it was said before, back the shoes off and lots of penetrating oil...and a big brass hammer!
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.