'85 F250 6.9 electric fuel pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'85 F250 6.9 electric fuel pump

I'm making my first venture into the world of Ford/IHC Diesels with a purchase of a non-running '85/6.9. The previous owner stated that the truck was running, but acted like it wasn't getting fuel. Finally it died and wouldn't restart. This was approx 1 year ago. I'd like to get it started at his place so I don't have to trailer it home (if the brakes are good). Here are my thougths...
Purchase fuel/water separator, fuel filters, and spare fuel line. Start by changing the filters and trying to start it. If it still doesn't start, remove the shrader valve and check for fuel flow, if there is none, make sure there isn't restriction before the lift pump.
Now, (here's my main question..) if the lift pump is bad, where is the normal place to install the electric fuel pump? What brand/model number pump is used? What about a relay or power source?

Thanks all.
Luther
'85 Ford F250 IHC 6.9 4-speed
'82 300D (74 kmi) getting '85 donor engine
'85 300D (280,176) parts car-sans engine
biofuel_luther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: '85 F250 6.9 electric fuel pump

This is the pump I've been using for the past year & a 1/2--both wvo and diesel.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...94&FROM=MG
I mounted mine by the tank--most elec. pumps push better than they pull.

Make sure you check the pickup in the tank and if you go with the elec. pump don't leave the mech. pump in line with it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)

I would by-pass the water separator just to get it home, the stock unit is a well known trouble spot for air leaking in to the fuel system.

I used a relay activated by the FSS (fuel shut-off solenoid) on the injection pump. I mounted a Holley Red Pump on the frame rail just in front of the fuel select valve. The red pump doesn't need a regulator, Summit Racing had the best price when I bought mine years ago.

Welcome to the site, I am currently looking at buying an 82 300D.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I second the Holley Red. Mine's been working on both diesel and WVO for over a year now.
1985 Ford F-250 Lariat extended cab, 4wd auto with Some kind of gears... 3.7whatever I guess, a manual glowplug system, screwed up bed, barely functional wiring, those stupid hubcaps with the seven fake lugs, and lots of rust. Now with an elaborate WVO setup!
Atmus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

I have a Carter as well. Half the cost of the Holley Red and works fine. I have the PermaCool water separator and filter between the fuel tank and electric pump, then up and through a 7.3 filter head with a 33617 filter on it. Been working great for over a year now!
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, so tonight I went to attempt to start the truck. I took a full set of tools, stopped by Advance Auto, and purchased a fuel filter and valve core tool. I tried to purchase some fuel line to bypass the fuel separator, but they didn't know the correct size.
So, I arrived at the truck, checked the fuel separator that was already bypassed (Alleluia!) hooked up the batteries, (praying that they had enough charge to start the truck) and turned the key once. Sure enough, there was enough charge.
So, at this point, I removed the fuel shrader valve core, and attached a length of clear hose into a gallon jug to check fuel flow. It took about 20-25 seconds of cranking to see several squirts of fuel into the hose.
Seeing that, I re-installed the valve core and made an attempt to start the truck. After about 25-30 seconds of cranking, it fired up and idled fine. I reved it up a little to check fuel flow, and it ran like I would expect. I didn't run it long, because the coolant system is currently empty.
Now, I noticed that several of the injectors are moist and several return lines are also moist. Since I make my own biodiesel, I will need to purchase viton fuel line, injector return line, and possibly viton injector o-rings. What size fuel lines does this engine use? Any sources for viton fuel lines and o-rings?
Next, maintenance items (other than fluid/filter changes) should I do that are specefic to this engine? Thanks all for the help so far.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

The return lines on the 6.9 are 3/16 ID.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

What about the lines from the tank?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm running 5/16" return lines and 3/8" from the tanks. Not sure if it's stock or not, but it works well. See below for fuel lines, and if you find viton o-rings that fit the 6.9 please PM me. I haven't looked yet, but will likely need them soon running bio.

The only place I've found that has viton hose for 6.9s is greaseworks.org. Personally I think they are really overpriced. You might want to consider purchasing some of the new viton-lined fuel injection hose. It has the durability of regular hose and the viton lining keeps the alcohol from degrading the hose prematurely. (it's actually designated as having a "fluoro-elastomer" lining but I think the only one in use right now is viton)

Look for hose labeled "SAE 30r9" It is usually printed on the hose itself. Here are a few of the brands I've found at local retailers:

Pep Boys: Dayco Gen II - they stock 5/16"ID and 3/8"ID. They will special order 1/4"ID for Suburban owners ($4.89/ft)

Autozone: Goodyear - no special label other than the SAE 30r9 designation and the telltale blue lining visible at the end of the hose. They stock 5/16"ID and 3/8"ID and say they can special order the 1/4"ID. ($4/ft). This is what I'm using now and so far so good.

Gates also makes a "GatesXL" fuel injection hose that's SAE 30r9

Hope this helps
cself002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

The return line hose size is going to depend on what return T's the previous owner used. 6.9 and 7.3 T's are compatable, and interchangeable, but the 6.9 T's use smaller hose and the barbs are centered, where as the 7.3 T's use a larger hose and have offset barbs.

1983 F-250HD 4X4 The Moose Truck - Moose Pump, Moose Mister Injectors, Hypermax Turbo, Intercooler, GV 7spd., 3.54 Gears, Moose Air, RDT, Dual Stacks, 35"tires. My Album 55MPH at 1400 RPM. 19MPG Avg.

1993 F-350 CC DRW The Lady Moose - Hypermax Turbo, GV 9spd w/Double OD. 4.10's. Dual Exhaust, custom trim, turned up 6.9 fuel system, Lucky Flywheel.

1987 Bronco The Moosestang 1987 Bronco Diesel 6.9L C6 4X4 with 3.54 gears, 2" body lift.

HeadGasket/Turbo Article
A BOOB man! Visit EZBoard.com and search for IDI.
agnem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I second the Holley Red. Mine's been working on both diesel and WVO for over a year now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, and no water separator [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Nate
NatesDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

AAAAHHHH, the system is sucking air from somewhere and I can't keep the truck running. The lift pump pulled 22"Hg vacuum in around 5-7 seconds of cranking, so I believe it is good.
I can pull fuel directly from the fuel tank and through the tank selector solenoid using my Mityvac. At the bypassed connection to the water separator, I could not pull fuel, so I think my problem might be in that run of fuel line.
I ran out of daylight at this point, so tomorrow I'm going to buy a 10' length of 3/8" fuel hose and bypass the tank selector and that longer length of hard fuel line. I will run fuel hose directly from the tank to the metal fuel line that runs under the engine. I hope that this solves the sucking air problem, and allows the truck to run like it should. More tomorrow after this.

Luther
Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

I made it home with the truck. Installed a new fuel line from the tank to the metal line that runs under the engine. Then I checked with the Mityvac at the shrader valve, and was still pulling bubbles in the fuel. So, I removed the return line and capped it with my thumb and that stopped the bubbles. Then I replaced that return line, and started the truck. Left it idle for about 10 minutes, then drove it around the block. It didn't die, so I drove it home with no issues.
All 4 injector o-rings on the right are leaking and it needs new return lines all the way around.
Thanks all for the help getting the "Bio-beast"home. I'm sure I'll have plenty of new questions in the next few weeks.

Luther
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
ney

You may want to drop you fuel tank(s) and make sure the pick up tubes are still in tact. Diesel suck off the bottom of the tank. If the strainer is gone...(found out the hard way.plus had alge and all sorts of crap in the tank) you will suck air even with a half tank of fuel..
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Carter as well. Half the cost of the Holley Red and works fine. I have the PermaCool water separator and filter between the fuel tank and electric pump, then up and through a 7.3 filter head with a 33617 filter on it. Been working great for over a year now!

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be eating those words, my truck just stopped running for no apparent reason, won't run off either tank, both of which are new. Rear tank has a new pickup (less than a year old) from Ford, front tank has a used one in good shape when I put it in this spring! Fuel pump runs, but engine no make smoke!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Will report back what was the culprit!
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.