86 F250, broken ignition switch, rod pulls, wont turn over - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
86 F250, broken ignition switch, rod pulls, wont turn over

86 F250, chrome bezel broke off ignition switch, truck has not started since. Rod does pull upward when the key is turned. Starter does not turn over.

Do i need to focus on the switch/column, or the starter solnoid?

ABW
abwdvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 86 F250, broken ignition switch, rod pulls, wont turn over

I just did one of these on a truck. I don't know exactly what it is called but inside the column under the turn signal switch is a piece off pot metal that actuates the rod when the key is turned. On the one I fixed the pot metal broke. Check and see if you can jump the starter solenoid under the hood. If so, it is likely the piece in the column. One other thing, The rod should push away from the driver to start/run.
71swinger400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: 86 F250, broken ignition switch, rod pulls, wont turn over

You can replace the key assy....

To remove key cylinder

1 Disconnect battery grounds x2....
2 Turn lock cylinder key to run position......
3 Place a 1/8 diameter pin (drill bit) in the shroud under lock cylinder.
Depress retaining pin while pulling out on lock cylinder to remove it from the column housing.

To install key cylinder

1 Instal lock cylinder by turning it to run position and depressing the retaining pin. Insert lock cylinder into lock cylinder housing. Make sure cylinder is fully seated and aligned in interlocking washer before turning key to off position. This will permit cylinder retianing pin to extend into cylinder housing hole.
2 Rotate lock cylinder, using lock cylinder key, to make sure of correct mechanical operation in all position.
3 Connect battery ground cables

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

update

checked the switch under the dash on the top of the column, there is power there. No power to the 2 wires on the right side of the Injection Pump.

Under the chrome bezel there are 2 spring loaded pins on either side of the key, and what looks like an electrical switch at the top, could this be what is broken and not allowing power to go to the pump?

I think I will try to replace the key and tumbler and see if that works. Looks like a new one is under 10 bucks. Better than trying to hot wire the IP, and putting a screw driver across the terminals.

Any suggestions?
abwdvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
The wires on the right side........ you must mean facing from the front.... right.

Check the main wiring harness on the pax fender...... there have been problems with large connectors burning up. Look for melted connectors (black) also grey connectors had bad wiring. Members just removed the connectors and soldered the wires together.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hope you did like "cdnsarguy" said, and just replaced the ignition switch, it's easy it's fun and should have solved your problem. Unless you made it worse by messin' with all that other stuff. My switch was getting where it would not hit the starter switch too, all it took was a five minute job and i'm off and running again. I wish all the work I've done on the ol'truck was this easy.

Last edited by hawgman; 11-02-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling
hawgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.