aftermarket overdrives - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
aftermarket overdrives

Does anybody know about an aftermarket overdrive unit. How much are they? Do they work well? Where can I get one?

Thanks

Mark
Herriman, UT
erasurefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: aftermarket overdrives

Gear Vendors, I mounts after your trans, so the driveshaft must be shortened. Look up gear vendors on ebay and their web site for prices.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)

US Gear is another type, www.usgear.com
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

greetings
i have a gearvendors in my 88 and all i can say is it is much better than an e40d no problems at all
HERS 95,f350,cc,4x4,7.3 psd,e40d,3" dp,4" exhaust with donaldson muffler,k&n in factory cleaner,tymar hpx,fpr shimmed,fuel heater removed,flapper removed from turbo and modified pedesta, tony wildman 4 pos chip,175,000
glassbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got a "Ranger" overdrive in my unit. Made by "advance adapters" and works much like a us gear unit. It's a manual shift though(2 sticks) I really like it...their website here...

It's not about the money you save in fuel, it's about the driveability of the truck...makes a huge difference, and worth every penny.

Zigg [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Wife's car: '86 mercedes 300 T.D.
ziggster40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't get too wound up, until you check your bank book, they vary in price when found used, but from my point of view, new is exceedingly expensive.
You would drive many miles before payback is achieved.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

It depends on your purpose. I have 2 trucks, one with a Gear Vendors and one with a US Gear overdrive. I like the GV for its smooth, automatic shifting with my C6 tranny. I like the US Gear for its heavy duty 30,000 lb towing capacity. The US Gear is definately a more robust unit.

Truck 1: 1985 F350 dually 4WD 6.9 diesel crew cab auto with 83k original miles. C6 trans, 4.10 rear end. Mods are Banks Turbo, US Gear overdrive, 45gal rear tank, hydroboost brakes, additional leaf springs all around, Hellwig airbags, rear sway bar, GM glowplug controller, fuel Koalescer. 235/85 R16 Michelin XB Rib radials. 11ft.6in Vacationeer cabover camper, TorkLift tiedowns.
Truck 2: 1988 F250 7.3, C6 auto, 2WD w/3.55 limited slip rear axle, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Gear Vendors overdrive, Utility box, hydraulic lift gate, lumber rack.
Auto: 1987 MBZ 300D Turbo 3.0 Liter 6 cylinder engine. 205K miles. Working on all the "little things" that previous owner neglected. Putting in wvo tank.
Monte1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you break the US Gear it will stop you right there in your tracks. If you break the Gearvenders you loose the over or underdrive and still have your oem trans to get you home. Gearvenders are about $2700.00 new but well worth it on driveability.
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
ldw

I bought a new GV unit 52,000 miles ago. I figure at current fuel prices and the mileage boost I get, I need to drive it about 80,000 miles to pay for it.

I bought new because I plan on keeping it for the next truck I buy. If this truck dies, whatever I get it will go on so I planned on having it for a long time.

When I was debating buying one I talked to a guy who had 300,000 on his and it had been on 3 different trucks. He told me it cost about $500 to get the new computer, adapters and move it over to the new truck each time.

If I can keep mine the same amount of miles it will be well worth the original cost. I also count in the fact that by running at lower RPM's I am saving other costs. My truck has the 4 Speed and runs at high RPM's. By running lower I am saving water pump, fuel pump, and engine parts from running so hard.
86. F-250, 4x4, Extended Cab, T-19 Trans, 4:10 rears, K&N Air Filter, Flowmaster 2 1/2 single in double out, Ziggster Type Ram Air, Gear Vendor.

2006 GMC Duramax/Alison CrewCab No Mods
ldw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

[ QUOTE ]
If you break the US Gear it will stop you right there in your tracks. If you break the Gearvenders you loose the over or underdrive and still have your oem trans to get you home. Gearvenders are about $2700.00 new but well worth it on driveability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I typed up a big long examination of failure modes the other night, then the &*%^*% computer erased it when I tried to post. Oops. Point is, the GV unit is much more complicated and more likly to fail castrophically. US gear unit is proven hevvy duty technology (basically a small 2 speed version of the roadranger trannies in semis) whereas the GV is a beefed up version of the norman deville (unuser on spelling) overdrive box used in many 60's european cars. Fundemental design differnce. The GV is simpler to use, but not as heavy duty. I'd say both are equally likely to strand you, and the liklyhood of it actually happening is very small for both, assuming they are correctly used.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a US Gear on a 2wd C6 and love it.

I'm not sure if your truck is 2wd or 4wd but here's one point of interest:
The GV OD installs behind the front wheel gear box so OD can only be used when the truck is in 2wd mode. The good news is that on 4wd trucks, only the rear driveshaft length needs to be modified.

The US Gear OD installs in front of the front wheel gear box so both front and rear driveshaft lengths have to be modified on 4wd trucks. I found mine on eBay and installed it myself. Now to get my 4.10 gears down to 3.56's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.