automatic transmission sluggish to engage in cold weather - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
automatic transmission sluggish to engage in cold weather

I have an 84 6.9 f250 4wd with automatic transmission. It gives no problems in warm weather or when truck is warmed up well after a drive. On cold mornings however it takes anywhere from 20 seconds to 1 minute for the transmission to engage in drive after I shift it from reverse(reverse works fine even in cold). Transmission fluid shows no more than 1/2 a quart low. I have to give it some not insignificant pedal beyond idle to make it engage in drive on these cold mornings. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: automatic transmission sluggish to engage in cold weather

Have you ever had any band, shift cable, PNP or VRV adjustments carried out......1/2 qt low won't help either.

PNP...park nuetral position switch,
VRV..Vacuum regulating valve

How about a trans filter service.......

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

It's the seals. Either rebuild it, or let it warm up a little before driving.

Check fluid when up to operating temp. Add fluid only if nessesary

Some pix/ The fleet
Zrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had a similar problem in my 90 150. Same as you described but mine also had problems downshifting when it came into highway grades...i usually just hit the OD off button. Anyway...i serviced it and it helped. But i sold it soon after so no long term results to report. Hope that helps...at least servicing is a cheap place to start...

97 Reg Cab Long Bed 5 spd, testing out some diy injectors, tymar, 3-4 DP, Cobalt Gauges, South Bend clutch, my own custom electric fuel system (pics soon), 305/70 ProComp A/T's on 16" MT Classics with Air Lift Bags and B+W Turnover out back...driven daily about to click over 200k...working at international gives me access to some fun goodies

05 Arctic Cat 400
95 Honda 750 Magna
97 Toyota 4runner
04 Kubota BX22 with a front loader, backhoe and mower deck - looks mean cutting grass with all the attachments!

"I'm not driving fast...I'm flying low!"
Wreckingball_psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

as zrob said--go get some trans-x from a auto supply place--put in amount per instructions--its works--but i dont know for how long--its been in mine three years--- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.