Buying A 1986 F-250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying A 1986 F-250

i'm buying a 1986 tomarrow with the 6.9 diesel that doesnt run, he said that it wouldn't start unless he poured some diesel fuel in the intake then it would start and stay running and that worked for him for a while now it wont start at all what do you guys think? im going to test the gps tommarow and check fuel pressure from the mechanical pump what else should i try he said it ran perfect when running.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
I think I'd steer clear of that one. My Crap Detector is going off. Diesel engines fire off when fuel is sprayed (HIGH pressure) into the cylinder during the compression stroke. Liquid diesel poured into the intake would be about as effective as lemonade.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Depends on the pricing and condition. You can put quite a bit into a $500 truck with four wheel drive and a decent body and be in good shape. You can't do well with a $2500 rust bucket that needs tires and brakes with two wheel drive and a bad transmission that you cannot diagnose because it does not run.

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
Pouring Diesel or any liquid in the intake is a great way to hydro-lock the engine and bend a rod.

The guy with the truck is a BS artist.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i thought diesel in the intake wouldnt do anything so i asked him when i was there if he was using starting fluid he said he was didnt really bother me too bad because i knew that if he had to use that the glowplugs were probley burnt, so i brought a battery to try to turn the engine over and the sender by the thermostat housing started to smoke so i unplugged it, then turned it over it barely wanted to move it had been sitting for a year, so he was asking 900 i paid 600 its a 1986 f-250 2 wheel drive in great shape for the year and only 157,000 on it and 5000 miles on new trans and good tires, so when i got it home i put a couple used batteries in it and hooked it up to the charger still not turning fast enough so i went and bought 2 850ca and 1000cca batteries and installed them still slow and no firing, next day i went and bought a injection pump from a junkyard installed it still nothing, so i remembered on my 6.9 when it turned slow the starter was cooked so i took the new one off my other 6.9 and put it on my new one sprayed a tiny bit off either and she fired right up runs very smooth and quiet and more get up and go than i expected, so i bought new gps which the old ones were all burnt 2 were stuck but i got them out without breaking tips but what else to expect when there champions, bought a couple new parts to get it on the road, now i go outside wait for the gps and it fires right up, the only thing is the high idle isnt getting power and that sender by the thermostat housing was smoking i forgot what that was. but other wise a real good truck that i could easily triple my money on but i love the old 6.9s and its staying with me, i'll get some pics up soon. Now i think it was the gps and starter all along my other injection pumps still good, its nice to have a extra one and i only paid 79.00 for the one thats on it and a air cleaner assembly.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I think u did alright and got a good deal on it all these other guys where doubting it saying it was all bs but hell I dont know the guy that sold it to u but maybe he dont know jack about diesels. But u took it upon yourself to check it out and got the old girl runnin. Sometimes its good to just tackle an old project like that cause they can come out smelling like a rose. I would of done the same thing u did, even if it wouldn't of worked out for 600 bucks u could of got ur money back it parts, I say u made the right move.

87 F250 XLT LARIAT/EXTENDED CAB/LONG BED/6.9/ C6 TRANNY/WITH 4 WHEEL DRIVE/ATS TURBO SYSTEM/K&N IN THE BOX/4 INCH STRAIT PIPE/EAGLE ALLOYS ON 35 BFG ALL TERRIANS/US GEAR EXHAUST BRAKE/HEAVY DUTY REPLACEMENT FRONT LEAF SPRINGS/FIRESTONE AIRBAGS IN THE REAR.

88 jeep Cherokee limited/4 door/4.0/4 speed auto/4 wheel drive/UNDER CONSTRUCTION/
sanmanf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks sanmanf250, thats about right he didnt know anything about diesels, but you can usally read people when you go to buy something from them. So he seemed honest and i took his word for it that it ran great before it wouldn't start and he was right it runs great!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Send a message via AIM to CDX825 Send a message via Yahoo to CDX825
I think you did pretty good! I would also like to see some pics!

1984 F250 6.9 C6 2WD Push Button Glow plugs, No Soup bowl. Wix 33439 Water Separator, Carter P4594 fuel pump, Custom 3" Exhaust, NTZ Oil Bypass Filter, VDO Vision water temp gauge, ISSPRO EV Pyro

http://photobucket.com/CDX825
CDX825 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks I'll Take Some Tomarrow
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.