The Diesel Stop banner

cam questions

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  milner351 
#1 ·
Hello folks
I've spent much time on the idi and powerstroke boards but none here.
Howdy.

I've got a friend with a really clean 86 dually regular cab 2wd c6/6.9 truck that has a flat cam lobe or two.

I'm wondering if you may have some advice on how to go about this repair, where to get parts, and what all should be replaced "while we're in there".

I know we're looking at cam/lifters, perhaps a timing gear/chain set, water pump, gaskets for intake, valve covers, water pump, timing cover.

Where is the best place to get parts for these engines?
Are they roller cam engines (lifters are not replaced with cam swap?)
Are the cams gear or chain drive?

Thanks guys, I've got a lot to learn here obviously.

The next step will most likely be to sell the truck, as it's been sitting 2 years, he's not going to use it enough to make it worth the plates and insurance.

whats the truck worth as is, needing repair, compared to after it's running? I think it's worth fixing as the body is very clean, absolutly no rust at all, just faded paint, especially on the dually fenders.

Thanks in advance folks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Make it a running truck. That way you will get closer to what its worth. The cam is gear driven and usually the gears are not bad so that will save some money. Lifters are about $300.00 a set and can go higher. There is only one cam available for the 6.9 and 7.3 motors. One fits both motors, same profile too. Total cost will be around $800.00 to $1000.00 for gaskets and parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

#3 ·
I figured it would be expensive!
He's offered to sell me the truck so I can fix, sell, and try to make a few bucks, but geeze, at $2500 to buy it and another $1000 in parts... doesn't sound like theres much left to pay for my time...
especially since it's a regular cab.... that's got to hurt resale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

#4 ·
Milner, the good thing with these roller lifters is that they dont wear in to the cam like flat lifters so you can use a used cam without worry of it failing. Most of the time a roller failure is what causes a cam problem. I'll be someone on here can sell you a used cam. I do't usually advocate patch repairs, but if it's the junkyard or a used cam you might think about it.

#6 ·
How about a reground cam? IE, fix teh current one if it's not too beat up? I'm no expert and I'm not sure if it can be done, but maybe...hopefully?

#7 ·
sorry guys, was off for a week with no internet access.

Sounds like maybe trying to find a good used engine, or used cam if someone is parting out an engine, would be the best way to go.

I suppose I won't really know until I have the engine apart....

#9 ·
I have not heard the engine run myself, but, according to my friend, it misses on one cylinder, they pulled the valve cover and found one rocker not moving as it should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.