CDR Valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CDR Valve

My engine is using quite a lot of oil(completely empty in four weeks). Surfing the net I came across mention of a CDR valve, similar to a pcv valve used in cars. Apparently if the valve is bad it can leak oil into the intake of the engine. Has anyone else heard of this. I have a 86 f250 6.9L. Thanks
ladnerranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Oh ya, a bad CDR will allow too much oil to go back into the intake.

If it's bad, potentially you can over-heat the cylinders and or blow a head from the higher BTU's of the oil burning.

Take the air cleaner assembly apart. If the wing-bolt holding the hat on has excessive oil on the threads then you CDR could be bad. Also, check for small particles under the intake screen. This might be the rubber from a bad CDR.

87 ford f-350 cab-chassis dually. 2wd, 6.9, 3 speed C-6. 3 leaf helper springs, 11,000 gvwr, pintle/ball hitch, 6 pin round trailer connector (unhooked currently). Rear generic truck stop lights. Twin I beam front end with coil springs. Plow lights and switch to go from headlights to plow lights. 8.5 foot meyer diamond plow with central hydrolics. 8 foot rugby dump bed. 167,000 miles and still strong. Solid State Glow Plug Controller.
WhiteGardens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
So, I finally have to ask, after reading so many post.

Has it been proven that the oil entering the intake from the CDR is what is blowing the head gasket? Or maybe the higher heat is turning a weak head gasket into a blown head gasket.

I'm runing %100 WMO, as are MANY others, and no one seems to be blowing gaskets any sooner than on pump diesel.

Maybe i would understand if its because you've only got two higher-heat cylinders and i'm running all 8 cylinders the same temp.

Sorry to go off topic, my CDR is bad, but i'm not loosing near that much oil.

Homemade Propane Injection.

RUNS ON PURE WASTE MOTOR OIL!
No more diesel for me...
1987IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987IDI View Post
So, I finally have to ask, after reading so many post.

Has it been proven that the oil entering the intake from the CDR is what is blowing the head gasket? Or maybe the higher heat is turning a weak head gasket into a blown head gasket.
Probably a combination of both. CDNSARGUY has stated that when oil enters the intake it naturally rolls backwards to the rear passenger cylinder. So, most of the oil is concentrating on the rear two cylinders and the 6.9 is known to have leaky head gaskets there.

I would think the Higher BTU's on those cylinders would be the first thing to worry about. It could potentially raise your egt's to the melting point.

I know too that the 7.3 went to a bigger head bolt to compensate for the head gasket issues of the 6.9, so the 6.9 has more head issues anyway.

Hopefully Pete will chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

87 ford f-350 cab-chassis dually. 2wd, 6.9, 3 speed C-6. 3 leaf helper springs, 11,000 gvwr, pintle/ball hitch, 6 pin round trailer connector (unhooked currently). Rear generic truck stop lights. Twin I beam front end with coil springs. Plow lights and switch to go from headlights to plow lights. 8.5 foot meyer diamond plow with central hydrolics. 8 foot rugby dump bed. 167,000 miles and still strong. Solid State Glow Plug Controller.

Last edited by WhiteGardens; 03-18-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Trying to find the cdr valve, what does it look like. I have taken the air filter off, and cant see anything. My repair book doesn't seem to have any enlightening info on it.
ladnerranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Oh ya, a bad CDR will allow too much oil to go back into the intake.
And how exactly does that happen when it's bad versus not bad?
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
And how exactly does that happen when it's bad versus not bad?
The rubber baffle inside the cdr is suppose to allow vapors through but not oil. When the rubber breaks down, it allows too much oil to get sucked through.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
I've been meaning to install a gauge to keep a closer eye on EGT's. Can anyone recommend a cheap one?

I haven't read about too many problems in non turbo motors with higher EGS's caused by running WMO. If i remember correctly, the BTU level of regular motor oil isn't too much higher than that of pump diesel.

I also didn't realize the 6.9 had more head gasket issues than the 7.3, thanks for the tip.

Homemade Propane Injection.

RUNS ON PURE WASTE MOTOR OIL!
No more diesel for me...
1987IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The rubber baffle inside the cdr is suppose to allow vapors through but not oil. When the rubber breaks down, it allows too much oil to get sucked through.
No it doesn't and it's not a baffle. The CDR is an approximately 1" diameter unmetered orfice that's always open under most all engine conditions and RPMs allowing crankase gases to constantly bleed into the intake stream. The rubber diaphragm is spring loaded to stay in an open position. If the rubber diaphragm broke, if anything it would partially block the flow of crankase blowby, therefore you'd have less oil-laden crankase fumes rather than more.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
No it doesn't and it's not a baffle. The CDR is an approximately 1" diameter unmetered orfice that's always open under most all engine conditions and RPMs allowing crankase gases to constantly bleed into the intake stream. The rubber diaphragm is spring loaded to stay in an open position. If the rubber diaphragm broke, if anything it would partially block the flow of crankase blowby, therefore you'd have less oil-laden crankase fumes rather than more.
O.K. so I don't have all the techincal lingo down, but doesn't it react to engine intake vacuum too. So when the intake vacuum is higher, it closes it down to not allow too much oil through???? I've always understood that you observe more blow-by when at idle.

Also, I've always read that when the rubber breaks down, you get more oil in the intake??

That's what I've always understood about it.

Massive Blow By ????

Last edited by WhiteGardens; 03-19-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

cant one remove the CDR and by pass it? i hear about getting more performance with out one? any thoughts?

oh yeah anyone know where to get a cheap EGT gauge?

thanks!
- 86 Ford F250 6.9 IH navistar non-turbo idi diesel 4x4 dana 60 rear w/ limited slip, dana 44 front wishbone style, w/ 3.55 gears, C-6 w/ oil coolers, manual walbro frb-13 fuel pump, manual wellman glow plugs, K&N air filter no soup bowl and a homemade cold air intake, 3 inch pipe, class 31 heavy duty tractor truck batterys, lots of real gauges.
big drippy - 86 Ford F350 4 door crew cab, long box, 7.3 Navistar IDI non-turbo diesel, 2wd Dana 70 dually rear with 4.88, c-6 w/coolers.
The Swan - 87 chipmore wood chipper chuck and duck old school style. vm motori sun 4505 3.9 air cooled non-turbo DI 4 cyl diesel, rockford pto.
skunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
Do a search on here for road-draft tubes if you want to get rid of the cdr, the topic has been well covered.

I don't know why you want to install cheap gauges in your truck, the stock ones are an example of CHEAP gauges and most replace them.
The gauge you are looking for is called a pyrometer.
I am running the R3607TR. Click here for where I bought mine.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Right Joe, can't beat Isspro for quality, they've been factory installed in heavy trucks and equipment for decades.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
Do a search on here for road-draft tubes if you want to get rid of the cdr, the topic has been well covered.
sorry joe i only have 5 mins left at the computer here and my local library. if someone would post some info here that would be great! im thinking of pluging the hole for the cdr with jb weld? i have tones of oil in there and cant find the cdr at any of my auto parts stores... thanks yall!
- 86 Ford F250 6.9 IH navistar non-turbo idi diesel 4x4 dana 60 rear w/ limited slip, dana 44 front wishbone style, w/ 3.55 gears, C-6 w/ oil coolers, manual walbro frb-13 fuel pump, manual wellman glow plugs, K&N air filter no soup bowl and a homemade cold air intake, 3 inch pipe, class 31 heavy duty tractor truck batterys, lots of real gauges.
big drippy - 86 Ford F350 4 door crew cab, long box, 7.3 Navistar IDI non-turbo diesel, 2wd Dana 70 dually rear with 4.88, c-6 w/coolers.
The Swan - 87 chipmore wood chipper chuck and duck old school style. vm motori sun 4505 3.9 air cooled non-turbo DI 4 cyl diesel, rockford pto.
skunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
I would be worried that sealing off the cdr hole would increase the pressure in the block and cause oil to weep past the mail seals.

The cdr is available from Ford and International.

You can install a RDT (Road Draft Tube) from the cdr, a valve cover, or the oil fill tube.
The RDT should extend a little below the truck to get some airflow around the end of the tube. These tube usually drip a little oil and when you get to do a search you can read about the ways people have tried to catch this drip. The other problem with the RDT is that if you have much blow-by other people may think that your truck is on fire when your at a redlight, this has been reported by some using an RDT. I have seen stock RDTs on trucks, tractors and even a 1931 model A.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.