Chattering speedometer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chattering speedometer

Hi guys, tis I again.

Got a question concerning my speedometer. At about 15 thru 55 it really makes alot of noise. I'm wondering if it's a drive cable issue or the gear inside that's gnashing away.

Any thoughts?
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Re: Chattering speedometer

It's the cable. Mine has been doing it for years, but been too lazy to replace it.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok where can I get a replacement and how much?
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bought one from AutoZoo and IIRC it was around $14...

~Vince

On edit: I believe they sell 3 different lengths. Whether or not you have cruise control will determine the length you need. If you have cruise, the cable is split into 2 pieces, just outside the firewall, where the sensor for the cruise fits in between the 2. You might be able to just change the short cable from the CC sensor to the speedo...or you could get the long cable and bypass it all and go straight to the speedo. Either way, fishing around behind the speedo is a PITA though.
Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is there anything in The Diesel Files about the replacement of said cable?

On another note, it would be nice to get my cruise control working again.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Often the cable is chattering because it is dry. While it may not be a long term fix, you can often disconnect one end and get some oil in there, if nothing more as a test.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Most likely it is the cable being dry. Some light oil should do the trick. If you have the adaptor under the hood for cruise, you should be able to disconnect it there and shoot some oil up in the housing.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Speedo cables have a nylon liner (since the 50's). By the time you hear noise, the cable has worn through the liner. Lubing it won't make a lot of difference, and the difference it makes won't last long.

The cable's cheap. The labor is a bit more work than earning the money for the cable, but replacing it is a more permanent fix.

SOLD1984 F-250 4x4 C6, BW1345, 3.54 D70, XLT extra cab, box-stock so far.
asavage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pull it out, clean it and apply a liberal amount of most any kind of grease. Chassis grease is fine. Usually always works.Jim
1986 E350 6.9 based 27' MH. Weights 15,000# ready to travel. Hypermax conventional turbo. All exhaust to turbo pipes wrapped with 2" Thermotec pipe insulation. Turbo hot side wrapped with " thick 2000 pipe wrap blanket material. Cold side wrapped with Foam sound deadening material. Turbo is silent! Hypermax hood inlet cool air intake system. Down pipe oulet to 3" then split to 3" dual exhaust exit behind rear tires. 3" in-out X 36"long round Walker mufflers. Ziggster40 design based propane injection. Gear Vendors Overdrive. 235/85X16 tires. Isspro EV pyrometer. Isspro 0-15 psi manifold pressure gauge. TCI C-6 deep finned aluminum trans pan. EV trans temp gauge. 10 3/4" brake booster from '93 E-350. Towing a '87 Suzuki Samurai Tintop
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree with Jim, I have always used some wheel bearing grease, but any kind of thicker grease would work.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a tube of speedometer cable grease, looks like 20 wt or so oil, but it is full of graphite flakes. I have used it on several speedo cables and they have been going strong (and quiet) for several years. It is true that they are not real expensive, but I have put new ones on that sound louder than the one removed. Most come with a grease packet with what looks like the same substance this tube of speedometer cable lube I have looks like.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

Ford has a TSB about speedo noise. Basically they say don't lube it - replace it. Verify that it is properly attached everywhere, and no worn parts.
James
<font color="green">1985 F-250 4x4 Extended Cab XLT Lariat, 3.54 LS, Pioneer radio, C6, Straightpiped</font> (Listen: 1-2)<font color="green"> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] 200k+ miles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font> Down since 1/03 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] <font color="red">Work in progress [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]</font>
<font color="cc3300">1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe 'The BOMB' 318 V8.
1981 Pontiac Bonneville 350 diesel, loaded.</font>
1995 Toyota Camry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] 'The Battle Wagon' Unfortunate DD. 242k
Member of FOKISD
<font color="orange">"Fighting for religion, something I don't understand."</font> - Dave Mustaine
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'll call Schmucks tonight and see if they have one in stock.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Ford has a TSB about speedo noise. Basically they say don't lube it - replace it. Verify that it is properly attached everywhere, and no worn parts.
James

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford makes money selling parts, would you expect them to tell you anything else?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

So do I squirt this junk in on the firewall side or the cabside, and do I need one of those special cable luber things like for motorcycles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.