Clutch won't bleed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch won't bleed

So had to put on a new slave cylinder and got it on and it is hanging so we can bleed it. I filled up the master cylinder hoping for the fluid to gravity bleed down the line into the slave cylinder, well it didn't and it won't no matter what type of pumping or series of steps I do, had two guys working on it so I have enough help it, the fluid just won't go down. So what is the deal if the fluid won't even go down to the slave cylinder?
1985 Ford F-250 w/ freshly rebuilt 6.9 diesel, reg. cab, 2WD, zf-5, 10.25 rear, short throw exhaust 2.5" down pipe to 5" to 7" tip, Banks non wastegated turbo, Isspro pyro, Isspro Tach., custom flatbed 9' long x 7 1/2' wide, 3g alternator, push button gp's, memphis audio sound w/ kenwood stereo and amp, Toredor Red and Cream white. Practically restored. 6500lbs
vegoildieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to NH2112 Send a message via Yahoo to NH2112
You have to fill the slave cylinder before installing it. It's a fun little job, hold the cylinder at an angle and dribble brake fluid in the line port till it's full. Then tap the cylinder to dislodge any air, and repeat many times. When you're certain it's full, tap it again and a big air bubble that's been sitting in there since you started will come out and you can keep filling & tapping.

Once the slave cylinder is full, put a pan under the hose and fill the master cylinder. Allow fluid to drain out of the hose until a solid stream with no bubbles is coming out. Fill the master to the top, quickly get under the truck with the slave cylinder, the roll pin for the line, and a small hammer. Insert the line in the port and install the roll pin.

Now for the most fun part of all. Clip the bracket halfway onto the mounting ear, and using some kind of pliers grasp the pushrod and force it into the slave cylinder until you can slip the pushrod into the pocket in the release fork. Then seat the slave cylinder fully on its mounting ear, and try your clutch. If it doesn't grind going into reverse at idle you're good. You may have a small amount of air in the system, that should bleed out with normal use.

Check my lists of common part numbers in my photos! Updated often!

1991 F350 Lariat XLT, 7.3l, 5-speed, crew cab, SRW, 3.55, 2WD.

1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, in the process of a major overhaul/upgrade. OM617 on the horizon! Front & rear Dana 44s from a Wagoneer till I get some 1-ton axles built & narrowed, and eventually a front shackle reversal. Diesel YJ, bay-BEE, and not a cookie-cutter 4BT conversion!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
When I replaced the clutch slave cylinder the part store had quarts of brake fluid on buy one get one free. I thought man that is more than a lifetime supply, until I used a quart and a half getting the system bled. What a mess!

Much later I found a ford issued TSB on the neat and easy way to bled the slave cylinder.
I usually have the front of the truck up on ramps to give me more room under the truck and it seems to help having the nose up, then with someone watching the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder, push the clutch-fork toward the front of the truck pushing the rod slowly into the slave and the slowly releasing. Repeat as needed.

Here are the steps from the TSB:
1. Remove the master cylinder reservoir cap and diaphragm.
2. Check the fluid level to be sure it is at the step diameter of the reservoir. Do not over fill.
3. From below the truck, push the release lever slowly towards the front of the truck several times. Figures 11 & 12.
4. If it will not move, the master cylinder pushrod is not set correctly. See repair Step # 19.
5. Check the fluid level and replace the diaphragm and cap.

I have used this on my truck a couple of times and it not only works well, but is easy and clean.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to NH2112 Send a message via Yahoo to NH2112
That's how I used to bleed my GMs, get everything hooked up with a full reservoir then crawl underneath and work the release fork back and forth a dozen or so times. I tried it when I first lost my F350 clutch pedal but it didn't work. I didn't have the front end lifted, though.

Check my lists of common part numbers in my photos! Updated often!

1991 F350 Lariat XLT, 7.3l, 5-speed, crew cab, SRW, 3.55, 2WD.

1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, in the process of a major overhaul/upgrade. OM617 on the horizon! Front & rear Dana 44s from a Wagoneer till I get some 1-ton axles built & narrowed, and eventually a front shackle reversal. Diesel YJ, bay-BEE, and not a cookie-cutter 4BT conversion!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get the jist on how to bleed the slave cylinder but my master cylinder isn't sending any fluid down to it, my master won't let fluid gravity drain down through the hose at all, the slave cylinder is off the hose. I tried all types of things but it seems that there is a big air pocket in the master cylinder or something. I tried the reverse bleeding method using an oiler can and all that did was build up pressure in the clutch line but didn't allow any into the master cylinder. I expected it to overflow the master cylinder by doing this if it worked out right but it did not. While doing this the clutch pedal was up. Is there a check valve or something in the master cylinder perhaps?
1985 Ford F-250 w/ freshly rebuilt 6.9 diesel, reg. cab, 2WD, zf-5, 10.25 rear, short throw exhaust 2.5" down pipe to 5" to 7" tip, Banks non wastegated turbo, Isspro pyro, Isspro Tach., custom flatbed 9' long x 7 1/2' wide, 3g alternator, push button gp's, memphis audio sound w/ kenwood stereo and amp, Toredor Red and Cream white. Practically restored. 6500lbs
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
If the clutch master cylinder push-rod is too long or mis-adjusted fluid can't flow back into the master cylinder. Try disconnecting the push-rod from the clutch pedal. That is what step 4 is talking about.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

The master cylinder was shot (the original from 85). I disconnected it and it came completely out of the master so I replaced it and all is well. Now for timing this old thing cause it won't start by itself and smokes like a some beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.