cold weather grill/ radiator cover - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold weather grill/ radiator cover

Why do (most?) big rigs cover their grills in the winter? Faster warm up, warmer operating temp, other?

Is there any benefit for us in doing so?

I tried a quick search but found nothing.

Thx,
Devo

99 F250 CC LB 4X4 255K AT

85 F250 SC LB 2WD with Banks aftermarket turbo, C6

87 F250 Lariat SC LB 4X4 with an NA 6.9, C6 with deep pan and 4.10's. Dana 50 IFS up front. 263K mi. 3" exhaust, Ram air. New aluminum radiator and coolant filter Sep 09. Parked due to horrible engine knock.

96 F350 CC LB 4X4 AT 292K- creamed by Brain Dead Cager turning left 02/18/10 RIP
DevoK12RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2005, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: cold weather grill/ radiator cover

When it's -40F my engine needs all the help I can give it. A grill cover is cheap assistance........by cutting down the cold air being driven into the rad at highway speeds.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

For us here in the midwest we use them so that the heater works faster. No you don't need on here in the midwest but like I said it sure makes the heat come on much faster. In The Enterprise it cut the time until I had heat in less than half - I hate the cold so for me this was a good thing.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Well typically a good running/maintained diesel engine runs pretty cool, so in the winter when its 10 degrees out and colder the motor really cant get up to proper operating temp. and besides have you ever acctually seen how big a big truck Rad is?? ITS HUGE! so if your runnin at 65 when its 10 degrees out the coolent can acctually get too cool, and ruin a motor. I know up here in NY i'll be run'n a cover to keep my truck runnin warm this winter!
* 1992 F-250 supercab XLT 4x4 7.3 auto 3.55 open rear 170K miles, Westin Nerf bars, Silvania Silverstar headlight bulbs (VERY NICE!) Mile Marker SS hubs, piped, cranked and cut! Dimondplate toolbox, Pioneer cd player. And 16-18MPG backroad/town/highway driving!
Friends truck
* 1988 (originaly) F-250 regular cab 7.3 C-6 auto 4x4 4.11 posi rear.
Custom mods: Dana 60 front, ZF-5speed, Banks Turbo kit with Boost, Pyro, and Oil Temp, F-350 Badging, 93 front clip, F-150 Lightning seats (oh those are nice seats!) CD Player, 2 10" subs, custom 4 inch exhaust, soon to be 5" stacks! Turned up IP
Ford makes it, International shakes it!

Diesel exhaust make me (censored) baby!
Barebackcwby2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.