few questions related to the injector pump/ vacuum pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
few questions related to the injector pump/ vacuum pump

first of all, my truck hasnt been running this well in 2 years, or even running at all as a matter of fact. i recently set up the injector pump and switched thermostats. the injector has that nice brasss fitting on it that is connected to what looks like a limiter thing that goes directly into the injector pump. when i took the little limter thing off it wasnt letting any fuel through the line and causing the engine to stall out or run very weak. so i cleaned it all out and whatnot and the truck starts right up when warm or plugged in for about half an hour (glow plugs cycle causing burnt out plugs) because all the glow plugs are bad. but when i start it up for the day, it smokes white, but when it warms up, no white smoke. and while under a load, it smokes black.

ive heard too many cases of a bad injector pump and smoking white and wanted to find out for sure if this is just a warm up thing or something to worry about.

now on to the vacuum pump. i know it helps the truck shift, but i think mine is going out possibly because im at ~2700 rpm's before the truck will shift and it shifts quite hard. i dont know where the pump is located but i was wondering if this is a vacuum pump issue or a transmission linkage issue.

thanks for reading

Rusty Red (aka 1985 F-250 XLT Lariat 4x4)
oldiesF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: few questions related to the injector pump/ vacuum pump

the hard shifting may be caused by a faulty transmission modulator. I had the same problem and asked the diesel gods for help, and after replacing the modulator. my 86 shifts so smooth i almost think something is wrong. you should be able to pick one up at your local auto parts store. If you are having problems with your vaccum pump, you would notice that the brake would be more spongee and weak feeling, start with the modualtor and go from there

matt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: few questions related to the injector pump/ vacuum pump

the vacuum pump is located under the alternator. look at the alternator and there is a small belt running vertically down to it.

ASE Master med/hvy Truck Technician
Brianedwardss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.