Fuel pump governor spring settings? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump governor spring settings?

Hi,

I am just starting to experience some strange happenings from the fuel injection pump. I live at the top of a 8% gradient hill and usually when driving up at 100kph or 60 mph, I have around 11 psi boost and the engine runs steady. Lately, I have had the governor overspeed kick in and the engine revs drop right back and then pick up again. This is not a regular occurance and is intermittent. It has happened maybe half a dozen times in the last four months. I thought perhaps, my C6 transmission was starting to slip and allow the engine to overspeed just a little. However everything seems fine with the transmission - lots of fluid and it is a nice reddish pink colour with no signs of burning or discoloration and changes gear with no problem or apparent hesitation.

Is there any adjustment I can make myself or is it a fuel pump problem requiring fixing?

Have any of you out there experienced this problem and if you did, what was your fix or remedy.

The pump governor seems to be working ok and resets as the revs reduce. There have been no adjustments made to the fuel pump for a long time other than timing adjustment - the fuel delivery rate has not been touched in about four or five years.

If any of you guys can throw some light on this problem I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: Fuel pump governor spring settings?

Here's my 2 Cents..

At what fuel level was the tank selected, I think your getting a possible surge from fuel starvation........ It is a known problem when the fuel tank pickup breaks off, surging could be advanced by the angle of the fuel in the tank......on the grade.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Pete,

The fuel level varies, so I doubt that the fuel pickup tube is the problem. I have driven with fuel tanks as low as less than 1/4 full and have not normally had a problem climbing hills. However, the last time it happened I had just filled both tanks up so the leaking pickup tube scenario should not effact it. It is almost as if the spring tension is failing, though knowing my luck that probably isn't the case. It is intermittent and doesn't do it other than on a steep hill and only once in a while.

After I stopped towing regularly with this truck (the Dodge does all the serious trailer towing now) I adjusted the fuel screw (with 5/32"allan wrench) so that the maximum boost I could get was 12 psi - built in safety. That was in the fall of 2002 and nothing other than timing adjustments (once), have been made to the pump. Something is changing - either the pump internals, springs etc. or the transmission is slipping ever so slightly that I cannot hear any engine change, just the pump governor working. There is a possibility that something else might be causing it but am at a loss as to what it might be.

Thanks for your comments as every little helps at this stage, when the cause/problem is not so obvious.

J.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

Our trucks do not have a varible speed governor, which means we have to give it more fuel with the pedal when revs start to drop. We have a limiting speed governor that only controls idle and and high idle (foot to the floor) and we control everything in between. So, what you are saying, you used to be able to keep your foot steady and your rpm's would adjust to the different load conditions climbing the grade? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1990 F-350 XLT Lariat CrewCab 4X4, 7.3L NA IDI, E40D, 3.55, Rebuilt injection pump and injectors, Manually controlled TC, Fleetguard DC4A, 277,000 Kms, Two tone brown. Completely stock. 9200# GVWR. ***In the works of being converted to a ZF-5 with Luk Clutch/ Single mass flywheel conversion***
1986 F-250 supercab 4X2, 6.9l, T-19B 4spd, 3.55LS,8800# GVWR 200,000 kms.
1983 F-250 supercab 4X2, 4.9l, T-18 4spd, 4.10, dad bought it new, dark teal metalic, 317,000 Kms drivetrain all original. 8800# GVWR.
2005 E-150 XL, 7 passenger, 4.6l v8, 3.55 LS, Navy Blue. 44,000 kms.
FraserScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

AFAIK the fuel pump has a cutout should the speed reach a dangerous level or go beyond the 3500 RPM setting (I am guessing on the limit value here). The engine just dies and and I get a big puff of smoke. Once the revs drop to a much lower level, the engine picks up again and will climb up to the required RPM to give me the speed I was doing. When that has happened I obviously backed up on the throttle a little.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that I might have a small amount of water in the fuel tank (s) and at a certain gradient there just might be enough sloshing around for some of it to be picked up and I end up with a slug of water going through the fuel system. I use Stanadyne fuel additive and also Kleen-Flo (not at the same time though). I would have thought that would have dealt with any small amounts of water.

I have a Racor filter added to my system and the last time I changed the filter (6500 km ago)there was no sign of any water just a small amount of dirty sludge and not abnormal in appearance.

Maybe the problem is water related and not due to injection pump governor settings - I just don't know.

Anyone else have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks again for any comments and suggestions.

J.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

That sure is weird. If you put your foot to the floor in neutral, it should hit 3450 ,or somewhere close to that, and maintain that. It should not go over that if the governor is working properly. I just wonder why your truck dies when it hits the rated rpm. It should keep running. Is that your original pump and injectors? Have you fooled with any other screws other than the 5/32 under the triangular plate?
1990 F-350 XLT Lariat CrewCab 4X4, 7.3L NA IDI, E40D, 3.55, Rebuilt injection pump and injectors, Manually controlled TC, Fleetguard DC4A, 277,000 Kms, Two tone brown. Completely stock. 9200# GVWR. ***In the works of being converted to a ZF-5 with Luk Clutch/ Single mass flywheel conversion***
1986 F-250 supercab 4X2, 6.9l, T-19B 4spd, 3.55LS,8800# GVWR 200,000 kms.
1983 F-250 supercab 4X2, 4.9l, T-18 4spd, 4.10, dad bought it new, dark teal metalic, 317,000 Kms drivetrain all original. 8800# GVWR.
2005 E-150 XL, 7 passenger, 4.6l v8, 3.55 LS, Navy Blue. 44,000 kms.
FraserScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Doesn't sound like the governor, maybe fuel starvation somewhere.

My present truck will run 80 mph with 4.11 gears, I've never once hit the governor. I can only assume that the IP was modified.

An 85 that I used to have would hit the governor about 72 mph. All you felt was a reduction in power like you let off the accelerator some.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

It really sounds to me like a fuel starvation issue or drawing some air at the demands you put on it during hard hill climbing. Now if you had an electric fuel pump it would probably handle the air leaks but if the filter is restricting the flow at that high rpm then the pump wont changed anything. Maybe you can do a lift pump flow test. It may be a failing lift pump. Something to look at...
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is the same exact thing my truck went through until it died and would not run much above an idle with your foot in it. If you tried to idle it would cut off. I thought that someone had siphoned off all my diesel because the gauge read empty when I switched tanks though I had filled the front recently. I bought 5 gallons and tried to dump that into my tank, got approxiamately 1 gallon in before it started to dump out of the fill tube. after 20 minutes there was still fuel in my fill tube so I guess the injector pump has gone south.
Mitchalvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

John.......

[ QUOTE ]
I adjusted the fuel screw (with 5/32"allan wrench)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you bottom it out and leave it or back it off a couple flats.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

I had the same issue when i put a turbo in mine, the reason was i had moved the wire to the IP shutoff solenoid.
When the engine got up to speed, the wire loosed contact with the IP, and the engine dies for a second then the wire got contact again when the engine stopped to vibrate.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks guys, for your replies.

Pete,

The IP was replaced with a rebuilt one about six years ago and had the fuel screw opened up a bit (I think maybe two flats or half a turn) at that time because of towing 27ft trailer. I could easily exceed 12psi boost if I wasn't careful. When I got the Dodge I reduced the fuel available so that I could not exceed 12 psi boost at all - trial and error and took about three or four adjustments.

Bamse,

Thanks for the info - that is something that might just be causing the problem. When I have had the temporary shutdown or loss of power it has been sudden - acting like the governor has actually shut the fuel off until the lower revs were reached. Yes, a loose electrical connection could cause that and I will check it out. I would rather not have to spend a lot of money on another fuel pump at this time of the year.

I doubt that this is a fuel starvation problem as that usually takes a few seconds to show itself, the occurance I am getting is sudden and immediate. Will check out the fuel system again anyway.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.