G1 alternator w/ external regulator wiring - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
G1 alternator w/ external regulator wiring

Working on the truck in my sig, I replaced the alternator and while putting it together, I realized that the T-shaped plug that goes into the top of the alt only has 1 wire in it, going to the field. Plus, I pulled the loom off the harness coming from the regulator/etc on the passenger fender and it looks to have had some previous owner splicing and such going on. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the charging system on these setups?

I have the Moosestang/Agnem diagrams printed out, but this shows an alternator with internal regulator. I have the external one. Thanks for any help guys!
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: G1 alternator w/ external regulator wiring

The other wire is used on gasser applications to send power to the electric choke. It is not used on diesels.

86 has the internal regulator, someone swapped an older alternator or maybe a whole older motor.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Door tag is 4/1986, maybe it was one of the last to get it. Still, is there a wiring diagram for say 1985 model year out there anywhere? My local auto electric shop sold me a neat aftermarket regulator that plugs right into the top of the alternator with a little box on top that has a regulator in it, and 3 wires coming out, one for ground, one for B+, and one for a low voltage indicator light (don't have one on this truck). My only remaining question is what wire going to the regulator gives signal to the ammeter in the dash. I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, I've never been much of a charging system expert.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

The ampmeter doesn't work off the regulator - There is a shunt circuit parallel to the main (large) charge wire.

Don't expect that ampmeter to do much, it takes a pretty large charge or draw to make them move at all.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah ok, I was kind of wondering about that, I saw the shunt you are talking about in the harness and wondered where it went. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)

My 86 has the external regulator on the passenger fender-well and the wiring harness appears to be stock. The 3 times I have picked up alternators from 3 different NAPAs they have always handed me ones for the external regulator. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know, maybe it's based on amperage, having or lacking A/C etc... Or maybe they changed sometime in the 86 model year.

I know when I worked on the line at Ford we would use up an old part and you'd get a new crate with a redesigned part..... Could happen any old time.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 82F100SWB Send a message via AIM to 82F100SWB Send a message via MSN to 82F100SWB Send a message via Yahoo to 82F100SWB

It was a running change during the model year, my diesel has an external regulator, while my gasser has an internal, build dates are a month apart(that's all I remember tho... LOL) Both have towing and camper packages, and A/C.
86 F250HD 4x4 6.9/T19/1345/10.25/D44HD
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

my 91 has external, all factory wiring. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

made 218hp/461tq on a mustang dyno lasst dec with 80k on the rebuild
pyro,boost and all stock guages ignored with mechanical real ones
Fugitive sandrail. type 4 2840 turbo fi, lots of fun

PM please not visitor message
typefour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

White STR wire on diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Roboto View Post
The other wire is used on gasser applications to send power to the electric choke. It is not used on diesels.

86 has the internal regulator, someone swapped an older alternator or maybe a whole older motor.

So, provided a person has an external regulator on an '84, will an alternator work without the STR wire being hooked up at all? It appears that in my '84, the white/black wire comes from the T connector and travels back to a loom connector, then stops. It looks like it came from the factory this way. All other wires are in place and external regulator, with only three wires, is in place, but the alternator doesn't charge. (I don't have the original alternator and this one has never worked from the time it was installed by the owner of the vehicle.) My suspicion is that the voltage regulator is simply not working. I get voltage to it from the ignition switch (green/red wire) and voltage from the battery (yellow wire, which also parallels to ammeter,) and the orange wire going to the FLD terminal is grounding through the alternator which does work on a test bench...but the system does not charge and the FLD terminal remains neutral as the engine is running. Again, the STR terminal from the alternator is going nowhere by means of the factory wiring since there's no ECM to feed a choke signal to....
ahilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88beast
ps use the low voltage just run it into the dash to a led they can be bought at a truck stop running 12v
that would be a cool mod

7.3 idi t70, 3g, g31,

other mods, oba, warn winch, big steel goodies including a headache rack etc.

check out my site at http://ihiditech.comeze.com/
88beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.