glow plugs not working! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
glow plugs not working!

ok the glow plugs not kicking on ! it is new controller! engine turns over great! i guess loose wiring! any ideas????
deerepower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: glow plugs not working!

Have you done a Test light check on the GPs, what brand were they.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

What year and what GP system do you have? The 6.9's were available with 2 different systems - where is the controller located?

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

the wait to start light does not come on! the controller is not kicking on, you can tell by the amp gauge! the controller is at the back of the engine! it was working the night before! i check the controller and it is good! the glow are ford glow plugs, i would not
have those junk autolite!

87' ford f-250 6.9l c-6 4x4
Old 01-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via ICQ to Powerstrokedogg

i just ran into this the other day and it turned out to be the plug was bad going to the controller

when the engine is cold(when the glowplugs would usually operate the longest) turn the key to on and wiggle the plug on the controller and see if it activates the relay
2001 F-350 7.3L 4X4(ESOF) CC LWB 4R100 4X4, WIX 46637 open element air filter, Wicked Wheel, walker BTM, 203* Tstat, IC tube foil removed, coolant filter, AIH removed, 08 aluminum finned rear end cover, DP tuner 80econ 140smoke high idle,Phantom gauges, ATS transmission,ATS deep trans pan, 5 star torque converter, V10 trans cooler, 4" MRBP SS downpipe, twin 4" stacks

1989 F-250 6.9L IDI E4OD 500,000+ miles(sold)
1982 VW rabbit 1.6L diesel
2007 Arctic cat 700 diesel ATV
1975 W900 Kenworth 500 Cummins
1997 Ford school bus 5.9 cummins
Powerstrokedogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

i redid the wiring! and it still won't come on! i tested the glow plugs and they are good!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

If you want to send me your email via a PM, I will send you a copy of the Ford 87 Solid state glow plug manual. Might help.

One thing I would check is to be sure you have a good ground. The ground wire comes up to a double ended stud, I believe it is an intake stud. Your problem may be in the ground, or it might not. I am not sure how you tested the controller, but the guide I have may help. Does it still have the bullet style glow plugs? If someone converted it to the spade style, it will not work as the controller senses voltage drop accross the bullet type. The spade type do not work in this system. I know these sound like simple questions, but sometimes the solution is simple as well. These trucks have SERIOUS ground issues and I had all kinds of problems, including exactly what you are describing because of these ground issues.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Funny you say these trucks have ground issues. I am finding on all diesel forums everyone is having ground issues with the cold weather. Now it takes more to crank and the glow plugs are cycled more too. On my Samurai I added additional grounds for the chassis and ran the main ground directly to the starter bolt. Spun a lot faster and no more issues. Maybe I will do the same on my truck before I start having the same issues.

My truck is 2 weeks old with me and a lot of parked issues are coming up. I am sure there will be a lot of corrrosion from sitting so long. The heater core was rotten thru and only took 4 hours of run time to pop open.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

AE scanner in the Inland Empire Sunny So Cal.

Autoenginuity

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

When I replaced my cables, I put the grounds to the block as OEM, then ran ground straps from the same stud to the frame and then back to the cab. I also ran straps from the top of the motor back to the cab. I have an electric/hydraulic hoist and ran a ground back to it as well, secured it to a stud on the frame and then continued to the pump. What was funny is I fixed all kinds of problems in the process without even knowing it. The gauges all started to work, fuel was all over before the "paranoid" ground wire attack etc. Everything, even those that seemed to work ok, now work better! I also ran a 10 gauge wire from the engine grounding point up to the GP controller ground, so it should not be a problem again.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via ICQ to Powerstrokedogg

the only thing i can think of is check the power and the ground at the plug for the controller and test it with a load such as a headlight(something to draw a couple amps)
2001 F-350 7.3L 4X4(ESOF) CC LWB 4R100 4X4, WIX 46637 open element air filter, Wicked Wheel, walker BTM, 203* Tstat, IC tube foil removed, coolant filter, AIH removed, 08 aluminum finned rear end cover, DP tuner 80econ 140smoke high idle,Phantom gauges, ATS transmission,ATS deep trans pan, 5 star torque converter, V10 trans cooler, 4" MRBP SS downpipe, twin 4" stacks

1989 F-250 6.9L IDI E4OD 500,000+ miles(sold)
1982 VW rabbit 1.6L diesel
2007 Arctic cat 700 diesel ATV
1975 W900 Kenworth 500 Cummins
1997 Ford school bus 5.9 cummins
Powerstrokedogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks for all the help,I will look at it later this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.