GVWR, GCVWR for '85 F-350 dually flatbed? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GVWR, GCVWR for '85 F-350 dually flatbed?

I just bought an '85 F-350 dually flatbed, 4 speed, 6.9 liter. I also picked up a couple of repair manuals (Haynes, Chilton) but they did not list any weight ratings, either hauling or towing. Any ideas?

Also, I have been a member here for years and learned a lot regarding my '02 PSD. This will be my local shop truck. Any suggestions on maintenance or low cost power mods?
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
my 85 flatbed is 10k. and do the soup bowl get a pyro and turn the pump up as well as exhaust. they are cheap and easy. im 17 and did it. anyone can haha. also turbo would be nice on it. i plan on gettin one.
85 ford f350 6.9 flatbed dually. soup bowl mod.ip up 2 flats. Autometerc2 pyro 4 inch ofset stack with a flapper black wheels smoked cab and tailights and .mirror mount whips, a cb, dual head unit with sony explodes, and soon 4x4 mabe a sub and some navistar mud flaps. Yes a cab and chassis with a sub (my first truck)
[FONT=Arial Black] 04 ford f250 4dr shortbed 4x4 6.0. . (grandfathers truck)
09 ford f350 V10 4dr longbed 4x4. banks monster exhaust. chews up chiped 6.0s / 7.3s and spits em out. (dads tow rig)
fordf350flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

When you say 10k, I'm assuming that's the tow capacity?

Thanks for the tip. Found a description on the soup bowl mod. Sounds straightforward.

What are the options for upgraded exhaust? Haven't found anyone with aftermarket down pipes. I bought a '93 7.3 just before the Powerstrokes came out and remember how restrictive the factory exhaust was back then.

Is there much external hardware that is shared by the 7.3 PSD and 6.9? I'd love to upgrade my '02 and create some "hand me down" mods for the 6.9. Exhaust? Starter? Turbo?
2002 F-250 Lariat, PSD, CC, short bed, 3.73, auto tranny, Line-X bed liner, AFE Filter, HX crossover, intake heater delete, Evans NGC+, Dieselsite 203 thermostat, coolant filter, Amsoil by-pass filter, Schaeffer's synthetic blend tranny fluid, Bob Riley's tranny filter, Velvet Ride shackles, Rancho 9000 shocks with in-cab adjustment, 60 gallon aux tank for burning heated WVO, burning veggie since fall of '04.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

ToddT Welcome!

he means 10,000 GVW, I'm sure you know it is a 1 ton truck that has over 8500 GVW. For exhaust I wouldn't go smaller than 3 inch, but any bigger isn't required either. Dynomax sells a 3 inch downpipe/y pipe but you might have to modify the firewall to make it fit. No hardware is the same between those two engines, they are totally different blocks. Powerstroke changed the design of the IH Navistar IDI's so you will not be able to interchange parts except for a oil filter maybe...
1985 Ford F-250 w/ freshly rebuilt 6.9 diesel, reg. cab, 2WD, zf-5, 10.25 rear, short throw exhaust 2.5" down pipe to 5" to 7" tip, Banks non wastegated turbo, Isspro pyro, Isspro Tach., custom flatbed 9' long x 7 1/2' wide, 3g alternator, push button gp's, memphis audio sound w/ kenwood stereo and amp, Toredor Red and Cream white. Practically restored. 6500lbs
vegoildieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
It doesn't take a 1 ton to be over 8500, F250 came up to 8800 in 1992 and contemporary chevys are 8600
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

you can go to your local napa for the dynomax downpipe. they can order it. they actually make a really nice system for these trucks
85 ford f350 6.9 flatbed dually. soup bowl mod.ip up 2 flats. Autometerc2 pyro 4 inch ofset stack with a flapper black wheels smoked cab and tailights and .mirror mount whips, a cb, dual head unit with sony explodes, and soon 4x4 mabe a sub and some navistar mud flaps. Yes a cab and chassis with a sub (my first truck)
[FONT=Arial Black] 04 ford f250 4dr shortbed 4x4 6.0. . (grandfathers truck)
09 ford f350 V10 4dr longbed 4x4. banks monster exhaust. chews up chiped 6.0s / 7.3s and spits em out. (dads tow rig)
fordf350flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to take my truck across the scales.

By the way, I also run veg oil. I bought the truck specifically to become my "shop" truck for collecting grease. I have a small chemical company which I run entirely on bio.. my other truck as well as a diesel generator for electricity.

Have you converted your 6.9 to run on heated WVO or are you running biodiesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.