The Diesel Stop banner

HELP Injector return Leak off Tees

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bill1013 
#1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post so here it goes.....
I recently got a 1985 F-250 XL 4x4 with the 6.9L idi engine. I noticed when the thing ran it's exhaust was blue. To my dismay it also misfired. I did some research and found out that the injectors and or injector pump could be to blame. I removed the injection pump and had it rebuilt by Central Diesel Injection in Red Deer, Alberta. They did a wonderful job and i am quite happy with it. I ordered some re manufactured injectors and return line kit from ebay out of Pensacola Diesel. I have the pump installed and replaced the injectors and return line tees (used a Lot of Vaseline on the tees), hoses, etc. I went to start the truck, and it ran without the smoke for 2-3 minutes and abruptly died. It idled high and then the revs were up and down until it quit. I removed the fuel filter and it was only half full of fuel. this told me that there was a line leak, and air was getting in. I tightened the injector fuel caps and noticed that fuel was coming out of the tops of the tees. I've primed the filter, bled the lines and tried starting it several different times. It would run with the same results. And after trying everything that i could think of to make sure that the tees were seated correctly, fuel can still be seen coming out of the tees. I've removed them several times, re lubed and re-installed. I've gotten two different return line kits with tees, installed those, and nothing seems to be working. I've still got air getting in, and none of the tees seem to seat right. The remanufactured injectors that came were Stanadyne, not CAV england like the ones i pulled out. They looked the same and are the same size. I'm at a loss, and am wondering if its the injectors or tees. I'm getting tired of throwing money and time at it. Any input would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The remanufactured injectors that came were Stanadyne, not CAV england like the ones i pulled out.
I bought my pickup new in '91 and I was surprised it came with CAV injectors too. Although my experience with England automotive products is limited, that experience has told me anything made in England is CRAP. Stanadyne is a quality brand but IIRC Pensacola Diesel has a real bad rep when it come to their "rebuilt" parts. I'd pull the injectors, take them to a local injection shop and have them tested for spray pattern and pop off pressure. As far as caps go, there's evidently some low quality poorly made brands out there, the quality brand that good injection shops carry is Dipaco. you might try them. A sponsor here, Diesel Performance Parts, Fuel Injection Pumps, Diesel Injectors, Turbos, & Diesel Truck Parts carries Dipaco brand.

#3 ·
Had the same issue on my 86 did you save the original t's. When I got my replacement set they leaked so I changed the injector o rings re used the old ts and no leaks. Be careful of the hose That comes with the kits as after a few weeks it degrades and leaks. Hope this helps let me know your progress

#4 ·
Check ur lift pump, front of engine, easy fix. It's probably wimpy.

Another check is the o rings in the lines that go to the tank selector switch, I had air going in there once and replaced the line, Fixed it. Really easy,

I have an 86 4x4 6.9. Love it. She's a bombproof rig

#5 ·
I wouldn't buy anything Pensacola Diesel sells. Do as LMJD said, get the injectors tested and buy a decent return kit.

#6 ·
I remember a few years back (may have been a dozen) someone here was working on milling some aluminum or brass caps to market to end the plastic cap frustration....did that ever pan out? Personally I never touch, and I mean touch, this part of the fuel system unless I have the kit sittin right there with me.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks to all. Just to give a brief update. The lift pump is not the issue as it was replaced several years ago and does not have many klicks on it. This was my dads first brand new truck and I want to restore it on a budget. The rear fuel tank was removed by a certified mechanic many years ago due to rust issues (it is Alberta after all), but that is something I should check. Sadly, The original T's did not survive. After doing some research, I've decide to purchase another set of injectors and will use these stanadynes in another project. I learned that IH used stanadynes in their engines while Ford went with their own supplier CAV. I'm not sure if there's a difference, but I ordered some reman injectors from Mylex International. There's not much information on Mylex on the net, but they have been in business for many years, have a good rating with the BBB, and also have done some government contracts. The reviews I read (though they are few) are all positive. I also am looking at getting a cardone,Delphi, or Depaco return kit and will install them when the weather warms up. I'm done dealing with off the wall brands, and probably won't deal with Pensacola again due to the iffy reviews. Another lesson to check before you buy. Will keep you posted.

#9 · (Edited)
You might have the lines in between the injector caps too long, if any side pressure or twisting of the caps it will make them leak. the lines (hoses) have to be about 1/16" to an 1/8" from touching the cap. On some new caps there is a parting line inside, that has to be scraped or sanded off. The caps must be well seated, you'll hear a snap when pushed down.

On the blue smoking. I would clean the CDR, fill it with diesel fuel, let it soak overnite, empty it, then wash out with Dawn or a could detergent soap. DO NOT use gasoline to clean it.

#11 ·
Just clean the damn thing.

Why don't you tell him what's causing the exhaust blue smoke instead of trolling me.

#12 · (Edited)
Just a wild stab in the dark, but most diesel mechanics would agree, by far most of the time blue smoke in a 25+ year old engine is a hint that it's time for an overhaul. But not being there leaning over the fender, I'm not qualified to say for certain. A "dirty" CDR is blamed for everything from smoke, oil consumption to flat tires. Nowhere in the page after page of required steps for diagnosing oil consumption/excessive smoke is the CDR ever mentioned as a cause in the Navistar engine manual. Having worked in an IH dealership for a period of time, nobody's more thorough with their diagnosis checksheets than IH/Navistar. And further, there's no mention of it ever needing cleaning in the maintenance schedule. Mine had not been touched in over 23 years, but I had it off a while back to replace the rubber grommet and it had the typical normal oily surface on the diaphragm, nothing else.

#13 ·
Blue Smoke

CRACKED PISTONS

WORN OR DAMAGED CYLINDER WALLS

STUCK PISTON RINGS

WORN OR BROKEN PISTON RINGS

VALVE GUIDE SEALS OR WORN VALVE GUIDES

FAULTY CRANK CASE VENT "CDR"

OIL LEVEL TOO HIGH

WRONG DIP STICK--HI OIL LEVEL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.