How to know if AC compressor is dead or just clutch - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to know if AC compressor is dead or just clutch

TO the experts,or any one that knows more that me. How do determine what to start with to get my AC working? The system does have a leak i belive but it hasn't been charged in many year so it is empty. If I select AC on the controls the clutch never engages. Is this because it needs recharged or do you belive that the clutch is bad and or the copressor?

JON

1992 dodge W250 Cummins 5sp daily driver/plower
78'F250 4x4 "trailer special" 4"lift and 36's
JonRollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How to know if AC compressor is dead or just clutch

There is a pressure switch which prevents the AC compressor clutch from engaging when the system is empty.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Exactly, I thought the A/C was gone in my truck. When filled with refridgerant, the system started right up once the proper amount was in the system.
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good Deal I thought if went something like that i was just not sure. I did price the compressor and clutch and if dosn't work with just a recharge i will just go with the 2 at 55 kind of in cab cooling. Thanks for the info

JON

1992 dodge W250 Cummins 5sp daily driver/plower
78'F250 4x4 "trailer special" 4"lift and 36's
JonRollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you have to replace the compressor, you need to replace the drier/accumulator also.

86 F250 N/A 4WD w/HomeGrown Propane, Poly Spring/Body Bushings, PushButton GP Controller, 3.55L rear, Goodyear WorkHorse II XTRA Boots, 248k miles, Rotella 5-40W Synthetic
Rick_Hipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

All you have to do to test the compressor is to jump across the wiring harness for the cycle switch. Don't leave it run for more than the second it takes to make sure it engages, or you will burn up the compressor.

But if the system is empty, the clutch will not engage. Just jumper the switch connector to make sure the clutch works, and evac the system and recharge with an R134A retrofit kit. Do not add the R134A without evac'ing the system, all you will accomplish is creating acids which will destroy the system. The oils and refrigerants are not compatible.

I have done many retrofits with no problems after evac'ing the system.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I have the same problem; leak, no refrigerant, but compressor good. How does one evac the system. I see conversion kits available, do these come with all needed materials/tools? If you wouldn't mind, would you mind a brief rundown on what to do to switch the system to 134A?

Thanks in advance-
Familyduner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just had mine serviced.Thought i needed a new clutch,didnt cycle anymore and wouldnt engage.Turned out it just needed a new pressure switch...
1967 Mustang T/A replica..289 4spd
1964 Mustang 289 4spd
diamondtguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

One of the guys here has a great article on troubleshooting the system, maybe Mel, SARguy or Ziggy...

In short, I had the same problem. Followed the article...first step was jumping the pressure switch in the "can" which is located near the heater core lines on the passenger side. Tall black can, maybe 10-12" high, 3" diameter. There are two wires that go to a switch that screws into the side of the can. Start the engine, disconnect the connector to the switch, and stick a wire between the two plugs on the connector, see if the clutch engages.

Those pressure switches are a "weak link" on the older trucks. Turned out that was my problem...switch was $30. Screwed it in, connected the plug, and presto...cold air [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lob
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have the same problem; leak, no refrigerant, but compressor good. How does one evac the system. I see conversion kits available, do these come with all needed materials/tools? If you wouldn't mind, would you mind a brief rundown on what to do to switch the system to 134A?

Thanks in advance-

[/ QUOTE ]

To evac the system you need a A/C vacuum pump or have a shop do it. I bought a relatively inexpensive vacuum pump from JC Whitney to do the job myself... I have used it on probably 5 vehicles now.

THe conversion kits that you can get at Wal-Mart, etc come with everything that you need to do the work, except the evac pump of course. The kit instructions "insinuate" that you can add the R134a to an R12 system, however that is not true. All of the old refrigerant and oil must be evacuated first. And a vacuum must be held for at least 30 minutes in order to boil off any moisture that may be in the system, particularly if the system was low or empty. An A/C system will actually pull outside air through a leaking O-ring under certain circumstances.

As far as refilling the system, that's easy. You screw on the R134A adaptors onto the two system fittings, and refill the system with refrigerant / oil.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.