How to tell if the injector pump is going bad - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to tell if the injector pump is going bad

I'm curious as to the symptoms of an injector pump going bad. I'm not sure as the previous history of the IP on my truck, it has paint on the IP adjustment screws preventing tampering, is this typical of an original IP or a rebuild?

At 186k miles I would have though that the original IP would have been changed out ages ago.
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: How to tell if the injector pump is going bad

<font color="green">There is no set in concrete life-span for injector pumps.

I have seen abused, neglected, pumps that never had a regular filter change, last for a million miles.

I have also seen the same brand/style pump, cared for religiously, give it up at less than 50,000.

A sure sign of pump weakening is having to crank a long time before starting.

Of course, with an IDI engine, this is a symptom of more than a dozen possibilities.

Weakening down, like a stopped up fuel filter will do, is also a good indication of a pump in need of rebuilding. </font>
3:55 DANA 70
LongRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well the truck has good power but a loud knocking sound is coming from it.

The truck starts right up but the knocking noise comes and goes after the engine gets warm. It sounds like it may be coming from the IP, but it's loud underneath the engine.

I sure hope that I dont have a rod knock, I don't think so as the knocking noise isnt constant it will come and go.

I really want to make sure it's an IP before I lay down another 400 bucks on this truck.
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

<font color="green"> I don't think it is the injector pump.

If it is the pump knocking, it will soon be obvious.

I don't believe the fix is going to be so easy as replacing the pump. </font>
3:55 DANA 70
LongRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Alot of the signs I'm hearing/seeing are pointing to a leaky exhaust manifold or pipe.

Engine power is just fine. I've posted a similar question under what a bad exhaust gasket sounds like. Judging from the noise it sounds like a pumping noise.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well with another friend listening to the engine, the noise is up high in the engine.

I may have to bleed the injectors and see if the noise goes away.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

loose injector or glo plug???
Old 08-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think I found the cause, loose vacuum fitting. The sound was coming from the area of the brake booster, when I fiddled with the elbow on the booster, the noise went away.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

WHAT???? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
NC State law defines biodiesel as ''any fuel or mixture of fuels derived in whole or in part from agricultural products or animal fats or wastes from these products or fats.''
Exemptions from the excise tax
h2odrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not sure yet, but I'm certain that there is a leaking vacuum fitting on the driver's side the fire wall.

It's complicated, but the signs are there.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

The pump's general condition can be determined by checking the timing, Assuming the timing has been constant, a worn pump will make the timing off.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well the truck's running fine, it's this intermittent chugging noise that is driving me crazy.

The truck runs fine, doesn't miss so I know it's not in the valve train or the injection system, it sounds like it's coming from the area of the brake master cylinder and I'm now thinking that it's some sort of intermittent vacuum leak.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ok I took off the air cleaner and the noise is coming right from the air inlet tube to the turbo, it sounds like a thwock thwock noise.

Engine doesn't miss a beat. I took off the CDR to the intake tube (I have a Hypermax system) to see if maybe the CDR was flapping, no change in sound.

What could be causing this? I sure hope it's not a dropped valve, the noise comes and goes, not something you would expect of a bad valve or broken valve spring.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok the truck really lunched this afternoon.

Lots of black smoke, really loud knocking noise, and over heating.

Please tell me this is the injector pump. The truck was running fine the past few weeks. It did this before I put 8 new injectors in. What gives? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Also, looks like there is fuel in the crank case, the engine is over full on oil and I filled it properly last week. The lift pump is brand new as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

why do you keep going to the pump???? the pump is very simple and almost never makes nosies just produces low fuel psi. or to much ...... almost sounds like a bad injector with a blown head gasket.... injector putting in to much fuel and then blowing the head gasket ,,y i say this is you said black smoke and fuel in the engine .... when you put in the new injectors did you have the psi of the injectors incresed from stock to match your turbo system???

this is just a gess

2000 f250 XLT, 4x4, PSD,transmedic transmission gresham oregon , auto, XC, 3.73 gears, LB bradford built flatbed, edge juice with attitude, 4"Banks exhaust with Banks jake brake, Banks Trans command, Banks smart lock, Banks big head wastgate, Banks k&n air filter intake kit,ATS ported shroud compressor housing, CFM+ intake manifold,AIH delete,ITP overboost annihilator, Fuel Rail Crossover, Riffraff SS HPX oil cross over tube,Fuel pressure spring settings 66-72 psi, propane injection set at 7psi boost.

1983 f250 6.9, STC, 4X4, 5 speed, LB bradford built flatbed,with BANKS sidewinder turbo kit, BANKS 4" exhaust injectors set at 2150psi

1970 f250 FARM AND RANCH SPECIAL
djbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.