Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location

So I'm finally putting in a mechanical oil pressure gauge after my oil pressure drops off when the truck is hot. (after about 45 minutes of warm up)

The stock gauge freaks me out. Nice pressure at start up, going down the road, at stop signs it drops just low enough to flixer my engine light.

So whats the easiest way to get to the sender. I'm not sure about the exact location. Does it face upwards and just in front of the bell housing of the tranny? Or facing backwards. I've look at a few diagrams, but they say that this is the general location for most oil senders. (autozone)

JOEMC had suggested plumbing a tee in there to keep my stock gauge and not have a dead gauge. I think I'm going that route, I want to be able to keep my engine light working properly.

Also, I'm going with an 80psi full sweep. I also read from JOE that his pressure never gets up over 75 in the winter. My thinking was also, is that it has a marks for 5, 20, 40psi and up, instead of 20, 40 and up. I also read from CDNSARGUY that hot idle is a minimum of 10psi, so I want to know exactly how much it is droping below 10 if it does.

Also, does any one know what size fittings/ threads in the block for the sender to screw into.

And, the truck seems to be running great, starts good, tracks good, and sqeaks like an 87 truck should. Leaf spring hangers are next on the list though, and I'm wondering if my rear leaf springs are sagging too much, as the 3 spring helpers are starting to ride on the stops unloaded.

Thanks for all the help.

87 ford f-350 cab-chassis dually. 2wd, 6.9, 3 speed C-6. 3 leaf helper springs, 11,000 gvwr, pintle/ball hitch, 6 pin round trailer connector (unhooked currently). Rear generic truck stop lights. Twin I beam front end with coil springs. Plow lights and switch to go from headlights to plow lights. 8.5 foot meyer diamond plow with central hydrolics. 8 foot rugby dump bed. 167,000 miles and still strong. Solid State Glow Plug Controller.

Last edited by WhiteGardens; 06-28-2008 at 10:56 AM.
WhiteGardens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
The stock sender is located top/rear of engine against the firewall and can be a real bear to get to. There is also an oil pressure port on the block web, driver's side rear (near the oil filter/behind exhaust) that is a lot easier to get to and takes a 1/8" NPT fitting. Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location-oilport.jpg  

1988 F350 CC 4x4 SRW, 7.3 Banks non-wastegated turbo, C6 w/ HD torque converter, Tru-Cool 4590 trans cooler, Highjacker 'softride' 4" lift, pre/post luber, coolant filter, Racor fuel filter/separator, pyro and boost gauges, Progressive 16x8 wheels, 285-75x16 rubber, 3" downpipe into 4" straight pipe over the rear axle and into 5" SS tip. 1994 Alpenlite 33' 5th wheel trailer
suv7734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome Pic. That helps big time. That will be much easier to do. Is that the oil galley plug I've been hearing about? Do you know what size fittings those are??

I was planning on droping the motor by removing the transmission/motor mount block to get a little more room around the sending unit, but that way seems easier.

Is that a steel braided line ??? I'm sure I'm going to have to at least use copper, and sleeve it with poly tubing to help keep it from rubbing anywhere.

God, I hope you don't ever have problems with your exaust stud bolts. My mech. heated them, broke them, drilled, tapped, helicoil, put in GM style bolts and springs, so what a bear.

87 ford f-350 cab-chassis dually. 2wd, 6.9, 3 speed C-6. 3 leaf helper springs, 11,000 gvwr, pintle/ball hitch, 6 pin round trailer connector (unhooked currently). Rear generic truck stop lights. Twin I beam front end with coil springs. Plow lights and switch to go from headlights to plow lights. 8.5 foot meyer diamond plow with central hydrolics. 8 foot rugby dump bed. 167,000 miles and still strong. Solid State Glow Plug Controller.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

That plug in front of the exhaust pipe is the water jacket drain port. The braided line is for the turbo oil feed. That where I also installed my mechanical oil pressure gage by using a TEE. Then years later I changed the mechanical gage to electric. Then it failed. Isspro has vey bad senders and is aware of it. They are changing manufactors soon.
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't have a turbo, so I should have a plug there.

Ya, I'll make sure not to get the wrong plug, I would hate to drop any water out of the block.

I looked at your post SUV, thanks for the diameter info.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGardens View Post
I don't have a turbo, so I should have a plug there.

Ya, I'll make sure not to get the wrong plug, I would hate to drop any water out of the block.

I looked at your post SUV, thanks for the diameter info.
Git 'er dun!

Good luck

1988 F350 CC 4x4 SRW, 7.3 Banks non-wastegated turbo, C6 w/ HD torque converter, Tru-Cool 4590 trans cooler, Highjacker 'softride' 4" lift, pre/post luber, coolant filter, Racor fuel filter/separator, pyro and boost gauges, Progressive 16x8 wheels, 285-75x16 rubber, 3" downpipe into 4" straight pipe over the rear axle and into 5" SS tip. 1994 Alpenlite 33' 5th wheel trailer
suv7734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv7734 View Post
The stock sender is located top/rear of engine against the firewall and can be a real bear to get to. There is also an oil pressure port on the block web, driver's side rear (near the oil filter/behind exhaust) that is a lot easier to get to and takes a 1/8" NPT fitting. Here's a pic...
I know this is a year old thread, but I just got a '90 F Super Duty with the 7.3, 5 Speed. Absolutely love the truck, but the stock oil pressure gauge is completely shot and I want to add a Mech. gauge to keep track of the oil pressure.

The picture helped out here alot. I found the plug. I have mounted the gauge, and run the tubing down to where the plug is.....but I absolutely can not get the plug out. I have tried just about every tool I own trying to get a solid grip on this plug and it is just about round right now. Normally when things are this tight I heat them, but the block is soaked in diesel and oil so that is out of the question.

Can anyone provide any advice, or is there another option besides this stubborn plug?

Thanks for the help.
BigOldBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGardens View Post

Also, I'm going with an 80psi full sweep. I also read from JOE that his pressure never gets up over 75 in the winter. My thinking was also, is that it has a marks for 5, 20, 40psi and up, instead of 20, 40 and up. I also read from CDNSARGUY that hot idle is a minimum of 10psi, so I want to know exactly how much it is droping below 10 if it does.
As far a pressures go: I have an autometer C2 oil pressure gauge on my pillar. I run DELO 15W-40. I see 40 PSI at startup. After the truck is at operating temp (198 by autometer gauge) and the oil is all warmed up the oil is at 12 PSI at idle and just about 40 @ cruising. Hope this gives you and idea of what they "really" run. My dash gauge is still hooked up and it doesn't even move after the initial reading.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.