problem w/ 86 glow plug relay/solenoid - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
problem w/ 86 glow plug relay/solenoid

Ok, well this is my problem.

We just purchased an 86 f350 diesel recently. One small issue it has is that the glow plugs do not turn on every time.

Some days it starts up like a champ, other days, the glow plugs do not turn on and it obviously doesn't start.

The glow plug light in the cab doesn't light up on the days we have trouble starting it. I'm guessing it is the relay for the glow plug.

Now there is one problem regarding glow plug relay. I bought a manual at the local store and it does not list which solenoid it is needed.

anyways, these are the two different solenoids to replace.

solenoid/relay 1

http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_36yBShY/26055.jpg

Solenoid 2

http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_36yBShY/26056.jpg

now here is where it gets pretty messy.

it seems that when we tap solenoid 2 with a screwdriver, the light in the cab for the glow plugs turn on and the truck starts up. But when I purchased a glow plug solenoid, they gave me one similar to "solenoid 1"

i purchased a starter solenoid and it looks exactly like the one we're having trouble with which is "solenoid 2"

anyways, this is the glow plug solenoid I purchased

http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_36yBShY/26057.jpg

and here is the starter solenoid I purchased (but it looks exactly like the starter giving us trouble)

http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_36yBShY/26058.jpg

well I'm going to be tearing sht up tomorrow to see which one I need to replace. anyways, you 6.9 gurus, help me out!

I'm so bloody confused as to what to do.
redfred18t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: problem w/ 86 glow plug relay/solenoid

Check the wiring connectors, there are a couple that will burn up on the right fender. One has a large yellow wire and is a grey connector, the other is a large black connector with large black and orange wires, yellow, etc

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

From your pics, the first one is what my glow plug relay looks like, and the 2nd one is my starter solenoid.

Sometimes my glow plug light doesn't come on either, but I have found if I cycle the key once or twice, the GPs will usually come on and the truck will start like normal. I'm presuming that the relay sticks or has semi-burned contacts and doesn't close the circuit 100% of the time, I just haven't changed the relay yet.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

well the only time wecan get it to work is if we tap on that solenoid with a screwdriver. It is odd because it is the "starter solenoid" that is giving us issues with the glow plug light.

when the light is on, the truck starts like a champ. when that light doesn't turn on, the truck cranks but doesnt run.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

it like, doesn't make sense to me because if I'm having trouble with the starter solenoid, shouldnt that cause the truck not to crank at all? weirdddddddd
Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah...makes no sense. Change both solenoids and see what happens? Solenoids are relatively cheap...
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

well i did replace both.

did one at a time. i did the "glow plug solenoid" first. the glow plug light was lighting up but it wouldnt start which was odd (may have been too cold).

then i replaced the starter solenoid then a pure glimpse of genius flashed before me.

I think the old starter solenoid may be damaged where one of the top wires were mounted. I decided to leave the wire unplugged and voila, no glow plug light when the key is turned.

so i hooked it back up,hopped in the truck, and started the truck. it was cranking but wouldnt start up, so i hit the pedal a couple times and bam it started right up.

hopefully that should fix it. i've never worked on a diesel truck before, and never have messed around with any starter kind of stuff.

so anyways, is it normal when its cold to have to hit the pedal a couple times to get it to turn over?

thanks again guys
Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

According to the starting instructions on the sunvisor, to start the engine you are supposed to hold the throttle pedal halfway down to start the engine in warm weather, and all the way down in cold weather.

In reality, I have found that mine likes it best if I just cycle the glowplugs twice, then push the throttle down and release it to set the fast idle, then just turn the key and it starts right up. If I cycle the plugs just once it kinda hiccups and gallops and I have to crank for a few seconds to get it to start. I'm sure a new set of injectors would make it better as I know I have some that aren't performing too well. 2 cycles on the plugs just makes it easier. I figure glowplugs are cheaper than starters, so I'll abuse them instead of the starter. I let them cycle once, then turn the key off and wait 5-10 seconds for them to bleed the heat off into the prechamber, then cycle them again and crank as soon as the GP light goes off.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

1986 f250 6.9 glowplug light flashes

es the Light comes on while I am driving around every minute or so. I am also having a glow plug issue seems that they are not operating I tested with test light and they all lit up does it matter if the wires were left connected or not??
Just bought this rig 160K switch under dash was wondering if that was a bypass switch for the glow plugs does not seem to make a difference one way or the other for starting. I also replaced the glow pug relay.
thanks, Dwight

Last edited by logsport; 04-14-2008 at 12:10 AM.
logsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

It does matter if the wires are connected. You need to unplug the glow plug that you are checking. Otherwise the test light can ground through another glow plug giving you a false reading.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.