Racor water\fuel separator-filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Racor water\fuel separator-filter

Does anybody use a Racor filter\separator w\heater here? Just want to see if anybody had good\bad experiences with these. Picked one up on Ebay so I could get rid of the Stanadyne one. And are they a pain to install? Thanks
1990 MB 300D Turbo diesel
'80 Harley Wide Glide 93" S&S motor
2000 SE Roadglide
jjqinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
Re: Racor water\fuel separator-filter

I have been using the 645 with a heater for the past 5 years and I like the unit. I installed it in the location of the stock separator and the only problem that I had was trying to use the filter wrench on it. I solved this by using 8 large washers as spacers between the filter-head and the firewall, 4 on each bolt.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

What racor unit did you get? One that bolts on to the original header like the ones here DIS or some other unit like Joe Mc did? The answer may make a difference. I'm running the spin on with drain bowl from DIS and like them. Good insurance since I run biodiesel mostly and buy Diesel#2 when I muist from the cheapest avaiolable source. The fazctory system really isn't adequete especially with the water sep. bypassed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
jdkline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

the one I picked up mounts in the same spot the fuel filter is now. I have to bypass the existing separator. Also I have to tap into the wiring for the heater to work. Hopefully the directions will be idiot proof. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
2000 SE Roadglide
Old 10-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is probably teh one I have. I ignored the fuel heater and WIF light deal. Just keep an eye on the drain bowl every couple of weeks. No real need for a fuel heater in Florida!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

I think we were bidding on the same item. I was going to buy it as well. I already have the 7.3 filter setup on mine, but liked the one on ebay better I think as it was new, mine was of course used. The 7.3 unit looks pretty much identical and hookups are about the same. You probably already have the heater in the line coming up to the filter head. Just unhook the wire from that and hook it to the new heater. As far as the WIF light, I haven't hooked mine up yet, but started on doing that today. I can't beleive how similar the two different filters appear. My metal bowl, from a 7.3 - 1992, looks exactly like the one in this kit. I just wonder if the filters are even the same, you might check it out as the Racor filters are pricey. The WIF hook up is on the metal base, the heater is on the top.

Great buy, sorry I jacked the price by bidding, didn't know anyone from here was bidding. I am sure it will hook up very easy.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

so that was you!I was saying to myself I need it more than this guy;keep bidding.Funny,I was thinking I might have been bidding against someone here. Last time I tried to drain mine it wouldn't close, and let so much air in the system it took me a 20 min to bleed it. As far as the filters go,this one comes with 3, so I won't have to worry about buying filters for a little while.
2000 SE Roadglide
Old 10-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

No, 7.3 and 6.9 filters do not share a common thread size, which was pretty stupid...IMO. The Racors have their own filter. Part # PF811 (new) or INF811 (old) if it's teh same system I'm thinking of. Scott, your system has teh advantage of having parts available everywhere, but seems liek teh Ford/IHC setup has a lot of little pieces which isn't reallya good thing for me.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes JD, I know the stock 6.9 and 7.3 are different, I meant quickster's Racor setup and the 7.3, the filters look just like the 7.3 filters.

And as far as the little pieces, I have been warned several times to keep an eye on things for leaks.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

I only bid once, and it was at the end. The only thing I did was raise your price, sorry. I did not recognize your ebay user name as anyone from here, mine is different as well, so you probably didn't know either.

I think that setup was easily worth over $100, so I think you still got a good deal. I bought a filter/water separator from the same people as well, it is just an inline that I wanted for another project. I also have a PermaCool inline, filter/water sep. before my fuel pump (Just changed it to a Carter P4594) so that and the 7.3 setup, I don't see water making it to my IP, or dirt for that matter!

I think your new setup will serve you well. My truck pulling neighbor has this setup on his farm truck, and it seems to do very well. You might also keep an eye on ebay for filters when the time comes, having 3, you should be good for a while as you said. I bought two 7.3 Napa Gold (WIX) filters on there for $15 plus shipping, they are about $28 per filter around here!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Racor #500 cost me $200. The local diesel shop sold them complete with a mounting kit which places it high on the air cond bracket. I also got the water sensing alarm kit with a dash mounted light and buzzer. I got all this prior to a cross country trip just after the big flooding in the midwest back around 93, I think it was.

My brother was working for the fire dept in Coralville IA at the time, he said they filled the trucks after the flood without thinking. They all had water alarms thankfully which saved them.
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 150K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

If quickster and I are speaking of the same kit, which I believe the 3 filters included proves we are, it came complete. It even had the wiring with the correct ends, the bracket to replace the pedastool mounted 6.9 filter, the heater, the water sensor etc. I would guess from pricing individual parts, along with the three filters at $28 per filter, there was about $200 worth of goods there. The water sensor alone was quoted to me at like $45!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]i guess i got the first one that was on last week . i put it under my truck as a primary filter and works good !!i like the heater in the head on this one that warms the fuel up going in to the filter rather than the 640 racor that is on the bottom,i tested the heating element and it has a temp sensor in it and turn s on at 40 and will shut off when it warms up ,so this is what i needed
2002 F350 XCAB D.R.W.auto 4x4 manual lock.P.S.D.3.73 axl(code-VDH2) (BONE STOCK).15 m/gal empty- 12/gal 19,500Lb piller gauges (ISSPRO)pyro,boost,trans temp-under dash cub mount (V.D.O.)oil pr,volt,eng temp.AIS air filter,baldwen spin on trans filter,RACOR INTERCEPTOR kit primary fuel filter (and fuel heater)6.0 transmission cooler,
uloadit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.