Really loud grinding noise while driving! Driveshaft? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really loud grinding noise while driving! Driveshaft?

Hey all! I am new to the forum and new to diesels in general. I just got my new to me 1987 F350 6.9l xlt crewcab 4x4. The front driveshaft went bad so pulled it and replaced it. 60 miles later while I was coasting down from 35mph I heard a terrible grinding noise like when you try to shift gears without pressing the clutch in far enough. The noise went away when I dropped below 20mph.

As I limped home it started happening at even lower speeds so that if I get it up above 15mph it starts grinding really loud.

Any help would be great!
1987 F350 4x4 6.9l C-6 Automatic Transmission, BW 1356 T-Case, Plantdrive Veggie Oil System in front tank, Tank heater in front tank, line heater on veggie line, Ramco Turbofyner filter system, Manual Wellman 6v glowplugs, 4" lift, Warn Locking Hubs, Tires: Chaparral a/p 315/75/16, 15w40 Oil,
erikxtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is your truck manual? It could be the throw out bearing in the clutch. My truck use to do that, it was the transmission mounts on mine tho. the transmission acctually moved and vibrated around. This is just my lil experiance with it tho
Old 04-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is auto, and the noise only starts when I am decelerating, and then will continue until I drop below a certain speed, and will get louder if I accelerate. It is a really loud awful sound, It scared the crap out of me when it first happened!
1987 F350 4x4 6.9l C-6 Automatic Transmission, BW 1356 T-Case, Plantdrive Veggie Oil System in front tank, Tank heater in front tank, line heater on veggie line, Ramco Turbofyner filter system, Manual Wellman 6v glowplugs, 4" lift, Warn Locking Hubs, Tires: Chaparral a/p 315/75/16, 15w40 Oil,
Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Sounds bad...i'm not sure of anything that would cause those noises for sure, but the first step I would take is to jack the rear of the truck up and put the rear axle on jack stands, then put the transmission in neutral. Crawl/roll under it and spin the driveshaft by hand and see if you can feel anything in the rearend other than smooth even gear meshing.

Not sure of any other diagnostics for the transfer case and transmission itself, short of disassembling and looking for broken parts, sorry.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
Check to see if the fan is hitting anything. You may have a bad or loose motor mount.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Do you have the 2 piece driveshaft...........

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

turns out it was my tranfer case. The chain was super stretched out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.