Remove truck bed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remove truck bed

How difficult is it to remove the bed off my F250? Rust is starting to eat the truck frame. While I was doing my brakes I painted my drums with POR15. Thought the frame could use the same love and care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)
Re: Remove truck bed

How do you like the POR15? I'd like to try it on my springs.

1983 F-250HD 4X4 The Moose Truck - Moose Pump, Moose Mister Injectors, Hypermax Turbo, Intercooler, GV 7spd., 3.54 Gears, Moose Air, RDT, Dual Stacks, 35&quot;tires. My Album 55MPH at 1400 RPM. 19MPG Avg.

1993 F-350 CC DRW The Lady Moose - Hypermax Turbo, GV 9spd w/Double OD. 4.10's. Dual Exhaust, custom trim, turned up 6.9 fuel system, Lucky Flywheel.

1987 Bronco The Moosestang 1987 Bronco Diesel 6.9L C6 4X4 with 3.54 gears, 2&quot; body lift.

HeadGasket/Turbo Article
A BOOB man! Visit EZBoard.com and search for IDI.
agnem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I just put it on. I used the rust preventer and the black top kote. It sets up very hard. I know people who have used it on their boat trailers. They say it works great.
It should work for $35 a quart. Time will tell.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (31)
Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Removing the bed is pretty easy in a sence and pretty hard in another sense, Technically it is easy not very much to do, but pulling out old carrage bolts and such on a rusty truck can proove to be a good ole pain in the butt. Basically if memory serves me right, open your fuel doors and disconnect the filler necks, should be a couple of screws and the necks should be free from the bed, may not actually fall outa the way but should be disconected. Then under the back of the bed near the tailgate I think there should be a harness plug to disconnect the taillights in the bed from the harness on the truck. Then you should be able to start removing the carrage bolts in the bed. These can be a real pain just from rust and then if they start spinning and stuff. When we removed the bed from my diesel donor truck the carrage bolts would just spin freely when the impact gun was put on em. My dad ended up taking a piece of flat stock bout 1" wide 1/8th inch thick and 2ft long, and just tack welded em to the top of the carrage bolts, sure stopped them from spinning lol. It was a pretty crude method but worked very well. Then just get 3 or 4 guys to help ya out, and it should just simply lift off.The filler necks will stay with the tanks and should just either stay semi up in the air or will flop down over the frame rails. Good luck on your work, I know I am gonna be checking out that POR15 or maybe some of the Eastwood products over this summer to finish up my frame, staight paint is good to make it look good and seal it, but I want something that is going to last another 15 years and not start rusting out just a few years.

05 F350
jdc753 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

That POR 15 is the greatest rust sealer. I've used it on lots of rust and some without even wire brushing and it has lasted for years, looks great! The main thing is to get it into smaller containers so it does not solidify. It is everything that it claims to be. I hate rust! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]
Sold! 1986 F-350 XLT, Crewcab 4x4, converted to Dually, AT, Axle 39, 3.55 ratio, 7500lbs empty, aluminium wheels, K&N filter, rebuilt IP, and injectors, tach, trans oil temp gauge, chrome headers 2-1/2" exhaust to glasspacks to Magnaflow to 4" single, new headgaskets, new radiator, Mitsubishi starter, Big alternator, Big batteries, Racor R26S water seperator, Folding gooseneck hitch. 97 Taurus electric arm chair front seats, PW, PDL, using Power Service additive.

New Truck. 2005 Dodge 2wd dually, 6 speed, gets 15 mpg with 4000 lb camper and pulls any hill easily!
chumstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

I wish someone on here had tried the Eastwood product too! Would be nice to have a side by side comparison by someone we knew was independant. I am going to try the Eastwood stuff in the next couple of weeks, but I don't have any POR15 left to try side by side with it. I did see the POR15 edge off slightly as the article on Eastwoods mentioned. It lifted on the edge of a frame I used it on. Anyway, I plan to give the Eastwood product a try because they are just great people to deal with.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I haven't tried either of these products.

I did sandblast, prime, and coat my frame with Herculiner. I wanted to do everything with Line-X, but recently I have not won the lottery.

I also sandplasted, primed and Herculined my cab floor (top and bottom), the inside part of the front fenders, my rear wheel hubs, skid plates, fuel tanks, receiver hitch, and rear axle. I still have to do the bottom of the box, and the new Dana 60 front axle. Planning on doing the inside of the box with Line-X.

I'm still in the process of getting it back on the road, but if you fellas are interested I'll keep you posted on how it holds up.

Incidentally if anyone is interested in using this stuff, don't fool around with the kit. Just get the single cans of Herculiner some Xylene and find a cheep siphon feed general purpose spray gun from walmart. Follow the directions for adding the Xylene. When you spray it on, it really looks nice when it's done.

I know a couple of people that have used this stuff on trailers with good results. Verdict is still out for me though!!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

I have four gallons of it in my building, waiting on this flat bed to be installed. Was planning on doing my trailer as well, but not underneath, like you said, would have to hit the lottery or take out a loan!
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

When I had a problem with some of the bolts I ground the head off the carriage bolt and used a long punch to push them out through the bottom. Worked like a champ.

When I removed the box from the frame, I lifted the box (one corner at a time) up to get it off the mounts. Then positioned my trusty cherry picker in the center of the wheel wells and as far up as possible. I positioned my chain diagonally using the box mounting holes and a couple of the old bolts. I got it to balance just above the wheels and rolled the frame out from underneath.

Paul
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.