Restart after running out of fuel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Restart after running out of fuel

I ran out of fuel as I arrived at the pump today. After I fueled up, truck would not start. I eventually got it running to the point that I could get it out of everyone's way. Cannot restart the truck. Had to leave it overnight. What do I need to do to get the beast running again?
RDBennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you got it to start and run enough to move it from the pumps, then you're all but done allready. Make sure the batteries are fully charged and then try to start again. You could bleed the lines by loosening the fuel line from an injector and try starting until you get fuel. But I think that it is just about bled, Just get it to kick and then feather the throttle to keep it running til it smooths out. Might take a minute or two.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
If you take a car back to the station, jump-start the truck to get more starting power.
Keep the throttle on the floor while cranking, you want the IP to move as much fuel as it can.
Make sure the fuel filter is full, you may need to bleed the air out of the filter.
If you do need to bleed the lines never touch the line-nuts with your hands, only with a wrench. The system has enough pressure to inject fuel through the skin.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
How much fuel in the tank selected must be over 1/3 (possible fuel pickup problem).

Always drain air from the filter first while cranking until a good stream of fuel comes out (need a rag). Now with your foot to the floor crank the engine....yes I still pump it like a gasser with some results....... there are still things opening and closing in the IP which move air out. Don't over do the starter.....if it is a manual trans tow start it.... FASTER.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

1/2 tank of fuel.
I had a friend cranked the engine while I checked the valve at the fuel filter, no flow. We cracked all the injection lines, no fuel.
I disconnect the supply line from the filter, no fuel.
We checked for suction from the fuel line while cranking the engine, no vacuum.

I have to assume at this point that I have air between the tank and the pump or I have a plugged fuel pickup. Agree disagree.

Towed the truck home, sitting in my shop.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Probably full of air. Fill the filter with fuel and see what happens. If the lines went dry, it takes a LOT for the lift pump to pull a vacum all the way from the tank(s). I don't know if the starter can turn the engine fast enough for the fuel pump to cycle fast enough to overcome the air in the lines.

When a gasser runs out of fuel and the lines go dry, a little fuel in the intake will make the engine fire up and the mechanical pump cycle fast enough to get a prime. CAN'T do that with a diesel.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Before you start tearing things apart.... Fill the filter as stated, check for power at the front drivers side spade terminal on the IP....... KEY ON.

You can also try spraying WD 40 in the intake and cycling the GPs as normal while cranking. Do not spray too large an amount to cause pooling....just misting.

"Remember to cycle the key off and back on so as to cause the GP controller to heat the GPs on "EVERY" start attempt.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

The filter is full of fuel. Has been all along. My plan is to disconnect the supply line from the filter and apply compressed air to clear any debris at the pickup in the tank. Curious as to whether there is a screen or is the fuel pickup just a tube? Seems like I could reverse this and apply air at the tank side and try to push fuel up the supply line to the filter and then tighten it down. Then I would do the injector lines. I will also try the wd40 technique as well. Appreciate all the help.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

If your filter is full of fuel, then you only need to bleed the injector lines.
Trying to put compressed air through the fuel lines does not sound like a good plan.

To bleed the injector lines:
Crack the nut on top the injectors about a quarter turn.
Crank the engine with the throttle to the floor. Crank 10 seconds, wait 2 minutes.
When a line starts getting damp close the nut with a wrench.
Should start before you get all eight closed.

May not be the fuel system, it could be an electrical problem. Make sure you get 12 volts at the FSS (fuel shutoff solenoid) both with the key in the on position and the start position. If the FSS does not get 12 volts while cranking it will never start. Mine ran fine one-day and would not start the next day because of a $9 switch.
Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW

135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum

Last edited by Joe Mc; 06-29-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Finally getting around to working on my truck.

Here are the facts:
Fuel in the filter. When trying to start, no fuel coming out of the schrader valve. Cracked open all the injector lines to bleed, no fuel.
Pulled the fuel line on the supply side of the filter, no fuel when turning the engine over.
Pulled the fuel line on the supply side of the fuel pump, no fuel coming from the tank.

Questions:
could the pickup tube in the tank be plugged? Remember, I ran out of fuel when I pulled up to the station.
Joe said something about the FSS failing. Could this be a coincidence that this would fail at the same time I ran out of fuel? The truck was working perfectly up to this point.

Next question. Where is the FSS on the engine and what is it's purpose? How does it affect the fuel system?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sounds like the lift pump died or you have an air-leak between the lift-pump and tank. You may not have run out of fuel.

Although it is surprising that the fuel filter is full.

FSS, the fuel shut-off solenoid lets the IP pump fuel to the injectors when the solenoid is open and cuts-off the fuel when it is closed there-by stopping your engine. Of the 2 wires going to the top of the IP, the fss is the one closer to the front bumper.

Last edited by Joe Mc; 07-10-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.