The Diesel Stop banner

Sagging and Tire wear

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Wildcat09 
#1 ·
There are two problems. Problem one, the front tires bow out when I back up, but only when I back up. This is worrying me, I just replaced all the ball joints and the bearing and it is still doing it. What could be wrong? alignment? The second problem is, it keeps eating tires like no other. I am a college student and can't afford to keep buying tires. It is wearing a lot more on the out side of the tire and has eaten through two sets of tires in the last year. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Radius arm bushings!

#3 ·
ok, how hard are those to change and is there any special equipment that is needed? Is this also a common problem with these older fords. Like most of people I am trying to get this done as cheaply as possible. It doesn't help that I bought this truck from a guy that abused the hell out of it.

#4 ·
Why not take it to a front-end shop?
I like doing my own repair work, but having a good relationship with an alignment shop will save you a lot of tires and trouble through many years of working on your own vehicles.
A good shop is very happy to give you a list of what parts need replacing and often offer helpful advice for changing those parts.
All for the price of the alignment you need anyway. Since your eating tires, getting an alignment done will also help your fuel mileage.

#5 ·
I am planning on taking it in to the shop, but at the moment I am trying to figure out how and if it is ok to keep driving it the way it is? I am currently unemployed and thus don't have the money to take it in just yet. And as for the fuel mileage, it would be great to improve it but as it sits I am getting about 18-19 in town and about 20 highway, so I am not too worried about that. I did crawl under it and took a second look to see if I saw anything out of place and I found one of the brackets for the radius arm is missing a bold, which I replaced, and also found that one of the bolt holes has been broken. So I am going to have to get a new bracket.
Thanks again for all the help, and any other suggestions are appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.