The Diesel Stop banner

Seized 6.9L IDI suggestions

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Pantherpiss 
#1 ·
86 f250 4x4 automatic 6.9

As title suggests motor is seized. Drained oil and found some shavings. Would like to get it pulled but it's seized. Flexplate no budge.
Should i throw it into reverse or drive and rock it back and forth? How much more damage can i actually do? Is there a way to salvage the block? All suggestions welcome, if more info is needed let me know. First deisel.
All glow plugs pulled cylinders soaking in pb blaster. Cylinder 3 tip busted but was expected when I threw test light on it and didn't light up.
THANK YOU ALL!!

#2 ·
You can pull the engine with the torque converter still attached. It isnt the easiest thing to do.

I would probably pull the transmission and then pull the motor. With it in the air you can drop the oil pan and hopefully see what happened.

#3 ·
Thanks, that will probably be my plan of attack. No transmission jack engine hoist or stand...lol might be a little while.
I'll Try and find some treads on weight ratings of hoist and stand for a 6.9+ torque converter. Don't want it to bend.
Is there any hope of freeing it by rocking it?
What could be binding it?
P.o. stated it clunk for 10 seconds before dying and not being able to turn again. Rod?
If the block MAY not be salvageable I don't mind doing what I can to free it up if possible. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Trying to rotate the engine is most likely a lost cause. If it broke a rod, the rod may just be wedged. I would just pull things.

The 6.9 with the TC probably weighs in at about 950 lbs.

#6 ·
A rod could have ventilated the block which would convert it into a boat anchor. It could be a spun bearing based on you clunking description. That will lead to a crankshaft needing replaced. You won't know until you pull the pan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: chuckster57
#7 ·
#8 ·
I have a question. How many cans of PB Blaster does it take to fix a bent rod?

Fully dressed these engines weigh close to 1200 Lbs.
Each head weighs ~85 Lbs.

Harbor Freight items
You need a 2000 Lb engine stand.
A 1 ton engine hoist. Don't get the folding style, they have a short reach.

To pull the transmission, you need at least 27" clearance to get the trans. out from under, if it's on a trans jack. The trans weighs 350 Lbs.

Your best bet is to take the hood off, radiator out, grill off, then pull the engine and trans as a unit. You need two people to do that, hook the engine on the lifting tabs so it will tilt a little as you pull it.

#9 ·
I give up...how many?

I'm thinking one, and a lighter.

#10 ·
That ought to do it- as long as your insurance is paid up... Alternatively, a gallon of diesel and a bag of fertilizer should work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.