Start. Then stall out ?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Start. Then stall out ??

I have a 1986 F250 6.9L. I have a problem with it. It starts after glow plug light goes off then it stalls. It will start after I crank it for 2 to 5 mins. I took it to a shop and had the glow plugs replaced.(500.00) I thought that was steep. The guy also put a additive sedadye or something like that in it. He also said It need the injector pump timing advanced ($100 more) This was 3 month ago It was starting and running fine with nappa diesel additive. Now its up to the same old tricks of starting and stalling and starting again. The glow plug light has always blinked on and off for 30 sec at a time even after starting?? Then it shut off after 2 or 3 min. Do I need a injector pump or can the timing be advanced? where is this pump located and how is this done? Any help please. :shrug:
virgwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2007, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Re: Start. Then stall out ??

Sounds like you have air in the system. You might want to replace the return line and t's, they are known to cause air intrusion problems as well as the water separator. Did anyone drain it recently?
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

How do you drain the system and what return line and t's are you speaking of???
Old 04-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Water drain is a small ring by the brake booster. It is easy to find up against the fender. A 3/8" line runs down by the wheel well. Pull the ring and fuel/water comes out. I found mine leaked right away since it seldom was used. Many have said the valve does not seal well and they put a bolt in the hose for added protection.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

AE scanner in the Inland Empire Sunny So Cal.

Autoenginuity

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

Return lines would be going between the injectors, plastic caps and rubber hoses.....called an injector kit

http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_69.htm

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

So the injector pump is not the problem.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I just went thorugh what you are having, get yourself a injector installation hit and replace the caps, o rings and hose.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I had similiar symptoms in the past. Would start, run for about 2-5 minutes then die. After sitting for awhile it would start and do the same thing again. My injector pump went south. I could clean out the check valve on the IP and get about 20 miles worth of run time. Ran fine on the flats, only 5 MPH up a grade with a tail wind!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Hope yours is something easier/cheaper as above. The day before my IP died the engine ran a little noisier, had a surge of new power, then acted as above.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

The truck surges when it starts for the 2nd time for a little while then runs fine. Starts OK when re start on the road.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

where is the check valve located? my fuel system seems to fill with air after 1 out of 10 startups, I take out the air at the fuel filter and it seems to be fine until the next episode. I have replaced the injector return lines.
Dave87F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Does the hose run down the wheel well and out the bottom of the truck on the driver side. I have a hose hanging down under there that leaking fuel. Is this hose what the bolt goes into. The truck is running worst now.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

Thats the fuel/water seperator. Try sticking a bolt in the end of the hose...

Sorry to all the loyal 7.3 guys, but I traded my '91 7.3 in on a 2002 F250 Ex cab V10 4x4. SCT Xcalibrator2 with tunes by Powerplay Performance. 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's. Took a long time to get used to the ping-pop of a cooling catalytic converter...LOL.

'85 Bronco swapped up to a 302 4bbl from the 300 I6, NP435 4spd, NP208, 32x11.50x15 Radial RVT's, Soon to be 6.9 turbo powered.

86 F350 Cab&Chassis with a dump bed. 2wd 6.9 and 4 spd tranny. No mods to engine.

2000 Volvo 660 N14 Cummins, 500hp 1650 ft lbs, Autoshift tranny 10spd.

What part of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" do you NOT understand?
aceohearts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had an '85 that I had to troubleshoot the same problem. Even cold, it would fire right off the first hit of the day, only to quit after 1 or 2 seconds. If I would grind on it for a few seconds it would reprime and fire off. Started perfect the rest of the day until the next morning. After a Ford dealer changed the glow plugs (after I had told them not too) I still had the same problem (They changed all 9 of them??????) Next the said it was my injectors, they change them all, I asked "even the new one I put in last month" response "uh, yea", then the truck ran like crap. They put my injector pump timing back to stock. After about a month of this crap, and yes, changing the water seperator, I ended up puting a brand new $29 lift pump on the motor. The check valve had been leaking back. The truck would fire on the fuel in the injector pump, then get a charge of air. After cranking it for a few seconds, it would reprime and run fine.

P.S. we found over the years that Autolite glow plugs were the best, and there are two different sets out there. 6 amp, and 12 amp. Take a 15 amp batt charger and hook them up. The meter will show either 6 or 12 amps, the 12's will glow red much faster.
Building a 1966 GT40 replica 289 w/webbers
Downard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

[ QUOTE ]
(They changed all 9 of them??????)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get the extra cylinder?

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. we found over the years that Autolite glow plugs were the best, and there are two different sets out there. 6 amp, and 12 amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair warning...saying Au****te on here is about the same as swearing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] From general experience, the Beru/Motorcraft GP's are about the only ones that hold up. The Au****te's tend to swell and break off creating a whole new set of problems. Most of the guys one here would warn you away from Au****te GP's.

Sorry to all the loyal 7.3 guys, but I traded my '91 7.3 in on a 2002 F250 Ex cab V10 4x4. SCT Xcalibrator2 with tunes by Powerplay Performance. 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's. Took a long time to get used to the ping-pop of a cooling catalytic converter...LOL.

'85 Bronco swapped up to a 302 4bbl from the 300 I6, NP435 4spd, NP208, 32x11.50x15 Radial RVT's, Soon to be 6.9 turbo powered.

86 F350 Cab&Chassis with a dump bed. 2wd 6.9 and 4 spd tranny. No mods to engine.

2000 Volvo 660 N14 Cummins, 500hp 1650 ft lbs, Autoshift tranny 10spd.

What part of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" do you NOT understand?
aceohearts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

What is the lift pump and where is it location.?? Also it look like I have a vacum resavoir that looks like a tin can that has some rust and holes in it. This also has 3/8 hose attached going somewhere????

Diesels are Greek to me HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.