What causes cracked heads? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What causes cracked heads?

I see some dudes on the 7.3 forum talking about cracked heads. Is that something that occurs frequently in these motors and what causes it?
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What causes cracked heads?

It DOES happen. Often? not really...They arent "known" to be terrible head cracking engines. It could be from many things including: poor metallurgy properties during the casting process. Not giving a proper warm up time. (Driving at higher RPM's under load will cause the combustion chamber area to heat up and expand but still have cold coolant surrounding the chamber in the water jacket which is acting against the heating process by trying to cool it, obviously, this causes stress in the cast. And it also plays hell on your head gaskets.) Too much load for too little truck, re: High EGT's.

tractors:
706,806,1206,1256,5288,7140mfd.

vehicles:
-1985 Ford F250 reg. cab,blue w/ extra clearance lights,4x4,T19 4 gear,3.55's,Banks sidewinder w/ K&N, 3.5" straight pipe, 2 gauge pillar, and 3 below dash. Pioneer cd player & a pair of 12" RocFos subs shoved behind seat. Old school tuned Midland 23 channel CB w/ PA and 13 foot whip antenna, Solara DSC marine-band and 4 foot midland antenna hooked too a Delta diamond plate tool box, Aluminum rims,hide-a-ball, RoadMaster drop rear bumper,air gate, and stainless stick on's on the bottom body line.
-93 Ford F250 7.3L IDI Turbo Diesel, ATS upgrades, 4" exhaust and 5" stainless tip, 5 speed, 4wd, 3.55's, maroon on silver, American Racing rims, custom built air gate, DMI rear bumper, extra clearance lights.
-61 Ford Falcon Futura, 289HIPO, T10 4 speed, 9" rear w/ cleveland locker and 3.55's, linelok, Granada front discs.

Mosin Nagant's, K98's, K-31's, Enfields, AK's, and SKS's.
twelve0six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
cra

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I would also agree that the 6.9 heads are good solid heads, however we have had bad luck with the intake seats in them. We have had 16 different heads checked in the last few months and only had 2 that did not have cracked intake seats. These seats must be taken out with a step cutter, other wise the water jacktet will be hit. There are only a few shops that will even consider putting these seats in.
I does appear that the cracks are supperficial and will not cause problems, as they do not go to the water jacket and the valves were not burnt. We are about to put a pair on a rebuild and see how they do.
cra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Most here will tell you the heads can crack if you take them off by just removing any head bolts. The proper way to remove heads is 1/8th to 1/4 turn on each bolt in the reverse torque pattern till the bolts are loose. I have done it that way all along without any problems. I'm not really going to experiment now because of the costs of heads.
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

[ QUOTE ]
Most here will tell you the heads can crack if you take them off by just removing any head bolts. The proper way to remove heads is 1/8th to 1/4 turn on each bolt in the reverse torque pattern till the bolts are loose. I have done it that way all along without any problems. I'm not really going to experiment now because of the costs of heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true, Caterpiller figured that one out a bunch of years ago on the 1693 engine( the old D-9 dozer engine ). They had developed a reputation for all being cracked when removed, so they came up with the reverse untorque procedure and solved the problem. Any diesel can suffer the same fate if not removed properly.

------Robert
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

Never heard of that one. We had a long time Cat mechanic transfer over to our shop to get a supplemental retirement in addition to his Operating Engineers and he zipped them off with an impact wrench after breaking them loose with a breaker bar (on Cat dozers too) just like the rest of us have done for years with no problems. Of course we always just instinctively more or less started with the center bolts and worked out. Since 99.9% of head cracks are between the seats, plus most all heads are stuck so tight to the block (except old Detroits, they don't use hd. gskts.)that mechanics have a collection of little wedges to drive between the two to break the head loose, it would be interesting to hear another mechanic's opinion on the slow untorqueing theory.
Did you work for Cat, or was this an "I heard"?

TwelveOsix, I agree, a lot of that plus overheating is the main cause. And ironically, like one poster above found for about the second time, when the slow untorquers get the heads off they find cracks up the wazhoo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
But whatever floats your boat.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of that one. We had a long time Cat mechanic transfer over to our shop to get a supplemental retirement in addition to his Operating Engineers and he zipped them off with an impact wrench after breaking them loose with a breaker bar (on Cat dozers too) just like the rest of us have done for years with no problems. Of course we always just instinctively more or less started with the center bolts and worked out. Since 99.9% of head cracks are between the seats, plus most all heads are stuck so tight to the block (except old Detroits, they don't use hd. gskts.)that mechanics have a collection of little wedges to drive between the two to break the head loose, it would be interesting to hear another mechanic's opinion on the slowly untorqueing theory.
Did you work for Cat, or was this an "I heard"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, while we did mostly gassers, we did do the occasional diesel. Keep in mind that most of the work we did in the machine shop was already torn down, I would guess 75% or so, but we also used an impact to remove them and I can't remember seeing any big difference between those coming in and the ones we tore down as far as cracks. I know quick cooling will crack them, like taking them out of a 500 oil drying bake oven then having an accidental fire sprinkler go off (hint: you let them cool before opening the oven, unless you are the new guy that tries to pull 1000lbs of cast iron out into the workshop on the trolley!) I can say that will crack them, but haven't seen the slow loosening process used anywhere other than mentioned here. I was ASE master certified and spent my youthful days working as a mechanic.

That being said, when/if I ever do the heads on my 6.9, I will probably remove them slowly! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Actually, the service manager at the Cat dealer informed me about it when I went in for parts about 25 years ago for my 1693 that I had in my '72 Kenworth, he broke out the service bullitin book and showed it to me, then he copied it off for me along with the proper procedure.

--------Robert
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

[ QUOTE ]
I know quick cooling will crack them, like taking them out of a 500 oil drying bake oven then having an accidental fire sprinkler go off (hint: you let them cool before opening the oven, unless you are the new guy that tries to pull 1000lbs of cast iron out into the workshop on the trolley!) I can say that will crack them

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, once in a while we had to do some really off the wall welding or brazing of cast iron that absolutely shouldn't work but due to part unavailability we had no choice and had to go for it. We had a general machinist who had my undying respect, pure genius, metal expert, etc, and he'd make sure we kept that baby warm as long as possible. Odd as it sounds, he didn't weld or braze but there wasn't much else he couldn't do and very little he didn't know. One day I went over to him and said, "Holy Crap, you're actually making a helical gear", and he had to blow my drawers in with his favorite statement, "Machine work's easy, it's just gett'in rid of steel where you don't want it".
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, once in a while we had to do some really off the wall welding or brazing of cast iron that absolutely shouldn't work but due to part unavailability we had no choice and had to go for it. We had a general machinist who had my undying respect, pure genius, metal expert, etc, and he'd make sure we kept that baby warm as long as possible. Odd as it sounds, he didn't weld or braze but there wasn't much else he couldn't do and very little he didn't know. One day I went over to him and said, "Holy Crap, you're actually making a helical gear", and he had to blow my drawers in with his favorite statement, "Machine work's easy, it's just gett'in rid of steel where you don't want it".

[/ QUOTE ]

We welded aluminum heads. They generally went in the oven in the morning (stripped of course) and were gradually brought up to 350 to 400 degrees, then taken out hot, welded for short periods, then put back in and the temp brought down overnight. We rarely repaired a cast iron one, too many variables, but when we did, he process was the same. Our oven, which was used mainly to dry grease on cast iron or aluminum parts, had a step up/down timer, so we could cool/heat them slow. At any rate, I truly believe that was why are repairs held so well and the company is still in business after about 35 years. It was owned by an old man that taught me a lot about welding, he was 88 when I left in 1998 or so and had welded on oil rigs and ships most of his life when not in a war somewhere! He is still kicking today, and I would put his welding against any I have seen, even though he is in his 90's! His sight isn't so good, he sometimes welded things to the iron tables etc. and it was a REAL pain to get off!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.