What part is this? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Eep

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks again, LMJD. I am new to searching and buying for auto parts online. Can you recommend a site that sells either a Mitsubishi or Nippondenso starter for this engine?
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
If you already had a worn out Mitsu or Nippondenso, for the best quality parts and overhaul job I'd advise you to take it to your local autoelectric shop. Since that's not the case I guess Napa or Rock Auto would be your best bet. It appears some of the low-end on line parts outlets pedal rebuilt starters, alternators, etc, using nothing but offshore cheap foreign components.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Eep

Since Rockauto does not seem to carry either of those two brand names for this engine, and I do happen to have a Napa in my small town locally, I'll go in and check with them to see what they have to offer. I try to stay away from the cheap offshore components whenever possible. Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Certain foreign stuff I'm OK with but not with others. The one online parts house that had all the components for me to do a complete rebuild appeared to be low end foreign stuff. I ended up taking the starter to a local auto electric shop and he overhauled it with the best quality parts and the total bill was only $104----can't beat that. That original starter (Mitsu) lasted me 19 years and over 230,000 miles. Both armature bearings are huge and high quality. The brushes were about shot which they ought to be after all those years.

Last edited by LMJD; 11-19-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Eep

Thanks for the info, LMJD. I am certainly not what I would call a "mechanic", but after disconnecting both batteries, I removed the starter motor no problem. I then took it down to our local NAPA store, and went over the options they could get for this engine. The one I decided on was listed as a Mitsubishi Replacement. It is the 4N-6265, new, with gear reduction (OSGR starter type), and the paperwork it came with says "starter model: Mitsubishi". It says "NAPA New" on the motor, and made just this year. It definitely looked slightly different, and I was concerned about it not being a Mitsu brand, which is what I wanted (or a Nippondenso), but the worker at Napa called someone and confirmed that it should be interchangeable with the Delco that I had in it before.

I tried installing it today and it appears to be 3/4" longer than what I had, preventing it from fitting. $180.00 - this type of part would not be exchangeable/refundable, correct? I could get another Delco, which does have a 3 year warranty they said, but it sounds like most folks here recommend avoiding that brand. Their were remanufactured options, including both basic and premium options, although I think they were going to be Napa also, and I would prefer new, over a reman.

Any suggestions from the wise folks here would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with a different specific starter # from my 4N-6265, that they could recommend? Besides Napa, our small town also has a O'Reilly and a Autozone. I doubt I could find or trust a local auto electric shop to rebuild the one I took out of my truck, or could wait for them to do the job. Thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to NH2112 Send a message via Yahoo to NH2112
4N-6265 is what I installed on my previous 7.3l F350 and it fit perfectly. Cranked the engine over as fast as one of those Hot Wheels cars with the toothed stick you pull, too.

Check my lists of common part numbers in my photos! Updated often!

1991 F350 Lariat XLT, 7.3l, 5-speed, crew cab, SRW, 3.55, 2WD.

1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, in the process of a major overhaul/upgrade. OM617 on the horizon! Front & rear Dana 44s from a Wagoneer till I get some 1-ton axles built & narrowed, and eventually a front shackle reversal. Diesel YJ, bay-BEE, and not a cookie-cutter 4BT conversion!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Eep

thanks for the input, but it will not fit in my 6.9
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to NH2112 Send a message via Yahoo to NH2112
Where is it hitting? If something related to the turbo is in the way then I think you'll have to look for the shorter Nippondenso starter (NAPA 4N0208, for example.) But 4N6265 IS the correct NAPA new starter when I look it up by your vehicle on the website.

Check my lists of common part numbers in my photos! Updated often!

1991 F350 Lariat XLT, 7.3l, 5-speed, crew cab, SRW, 3.55, 2WD.

1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, in the process of a major overhaul/upgrade. OM617 on the horizon! Front & rear Dana 44s from a Wagoneer till I get some 1-ton axles built & narrowed, and eventually a front shackle reversal. Diesel YJ, bay-BEE, and not a cookie-cutter 4BT conversion!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Eep

I can get the gear side kind of in place, but when moving the opposite (flat) side, I can't seem to get it past a narrow steel metal line... Very tight and limited space in general. I do not know what the part are, that are in the way...
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm with NH2112, seems like it is the correct one. Maybe figure out what the line is and then we can go from there?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Eep

I'll see if I can get my mechanic friend over here to my house, and maybe he would either be able to fit it in, or at least know what parts are in the way. Thanks guys. It is good to know that I have the part that should be the right one.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Eep

My friend who is a good mechanic came over today and was able to install the new Napa starter. He said the cross member and a fuel line were what I could not get around, but he was able to do it with out much difficulty. Cranks and turns over very smoothly now Thanks again for all the reply's from you folks about this issue.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Glad you got it done. If it lasts as long as mine has you'll have no complaints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.