Why did my Block heater start tripping the GFCI? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

6.9L Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why did my Block heater start tripping the GFCI?

Problem came up late this winter, just getting around to it. BH trips GFCI, but I can use same cord and outlet for 1500W element in WVO tank so I don't think the GFCI is getting weak or old. Besides, I just replaced it about a year to year and a half ago.

I have continuity between the two flat prongs on the BH.
No continuity between either flat and the round.
I have continuity between the round and the truck ground. I should have that, right?
No continuity between either flat and the truck ground.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

99 F250 CC LB 4X4 255K AT

85 F250 SC LB 2WD with Banks aftermarket turbo, C6

87 F250 Lariat SC LB 4X4 with an NA 6.9, C6 with deep pan and 4.10's. Dana 50 IFS up front. 263K mi. 3" exhaust, Ram air. New aluminum radiator and coolant filter Sep 09. Parked due to horrible engine knock.

96 F350 CC LB 4X4 AT 292K- creamed by Brain Dead Cager turning left 02/18/10 RIP
DevoK12RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Why did my Block heater start tripping the GFCI?

I've had the same problem with a couple trucks. I wired a special non-GFCI outlet in the garage for the heater cord.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]
Problem came up late this winter, just getting around to it. BH trips GFCI, but I can use same cord and outlet for 1500W element in WVO tank so I don't think the GFCI is getting weak or old.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you running them at the same time? That would be a heavy load. (2500/120=20.83 AMPS). The GFCI is probably seeing the heater as a short to ground. My guess is that the block heater probably sees close to it's true wattage where maybe your WVO heater doesn't need all that amperage. I am not sure the ground on your heater should see continuity on your truck either. Will check mine to see. Those really should be two separate circuits.

Might do what was suggested and use a non-GFCI outlet, although it is nice to have the outlet there just in case.
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, I'm not running them at the same time- only mention the hot water heater element (for WVO) as a comparison/ reference. I use the same cord and same outlet to run a heating element very similar to the BH but with 50% more watts--- and no problems.

I wasn't sure about the continuity between the plug ground and the truck ground either- that's why I asked....

Thanks,
Devo

87 F250 Lariat SC LB 4X4 with an NA 6.9, C6 with deep pan and 4.10's. Dana 50 IFS up front. 263K mi. 3" exhaust, Ram air. New aluminum radiator and coolant filter Sep 09. Parked due to horrible engine knock.

96 F350 CC LB 4X4 AT 292K- creamed by Brain Dead Cager turning left 02/18/10 RIP
Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

does it trip immed----if not--there may be the start of a short in the bh--and as it heats up--gets worse---
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am GC doing lots of kitchens and baths and GFCI are the bane of my job. If they are used the customers start calling at 6 months to a year of service. The GFCI circuit breakers are a bit better. Can't wait for the new arc fault breakers.
My .02 Don
00 Oddy (Moms)
Artic Tern
Standard Guilimont (mine)
Red healer Aussy Cattle dog,Murfy
One Mutant cat,r.i.p Tasha
2beeone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, it trips immediately.

Yeah Kayaker, they can be a pain. I've been tempted to just switch this one out and see if the problem goes away, but I believe I am working it harder at other times so I think the problem lies in the BH.

Would anyone mind checking the ground prong against their truck ground?

I'll let this thread simmer a few days and see if anyone has any ideas. Otherwise, I'll try a 'normal' outlet.

Thanks everyone,
Devo

Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]

Would anyone mind checking the ground prong against their truck ground?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checked mine last night but the storms took out my wireless internet. Anyway, yes, the round ground plug on my block heater shows continuity to the negative battery post, so that is not it as mine works fine, GFCI or no!
1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - T19 Trans, 4.10 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.
sle2115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

My block heater does not trip my GFCI.

A GFCI outlet compares the current going into the "hot" prong to the current coming out of the "neutral" prong and if there is more than a 5 milliamp difference then it trips the outlet because it is assuming the lost current is going somewhere it shouldn't (like your body). It is there to protect humans not equipment.

Anyway, you should have continuity between the "hot" and "neutral" prongs on the plug of the block heater (the two flat blades). However, it should not read 0 resistance...there needs to be some resistance in there which is the heating element (my truck isn't here so I can't measure but it's should be around 10 ohms). There should not be continuity to "ground" from either the "hot" or "neutral" prongs but there should be continuity to the truck from "ground".

So, bottom line: you are leaking AC current from your block heater into your truck. Try plugging the block heater into another outlet and then measure AC voltage between the coolant (in the rad filler neck) and the engine block...see what you get.
1985 F250XL, 6.9L, C6, 4x4 (BW1345), Dana 44HD front, Dana 70 LS 3.54 rear, 190,000 miles, Rebuilt longblock (88,000 miles), ARP studs, electric fuel pump, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, Velvet-Ride Shackles, Firestone Airbags all around, Transfer Flow fillnecks, lots of gauges, Line-X, Jordon Brake Controller, B&M Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler, TCI Aluminum Transmission Pan, Banks Sidewinder (wastegated)
shimonmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L Diesels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.