16" 5-lug trailer wheels? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
16" 5-lug trailer wheels?

Anyone know wher to find a pair of 16" x 6" or 7" wheels with the 5-lug x 4-1/2" pattern found on my Wells Cargo tool trailer? I don't care if they're plain steel, aluminum, whatever. I have some 235/85/16E tires which would work great on my trailer, but need the wheels. The sidewalls are stiff as hell, and the tire is rated at around 3100#ea, so I'm not worried that they're not specifically trailer tires. Should I be?
'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, old black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 307k miles on 18 Oct '13; probably won't run forever but neither will I
JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: 16" 5-lug trailer wheels?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know wher to find a pair of 16" x 6" or 7" wheels with the 5-lug x 4-1/2" pattern found on my Wells Cargo tool trailer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No such animal at Southwest Wheel. http://www.etrailerpart.com/trailerwheels.htm

[ QUOTE ]
I have some 235/85/16E tires which would work great on my trailer, but need the wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you'll probably have to replace the entire axle(s) on the trailer with an axle that includes 6 or 8 studs in the hubs.

Or probably less expensive is to replace your current 5" wide wheels with
stock number CW128696MS
size 15" x 6"
bolt pattern 5-4.5"

wheels from SouthWest Wheel's eTrailerparts.com, then buy new ST225/75R15D tires. That's what I did. But don't try to mount those tires on your current wheels unless your current wheels are 6" wide.

[ QUOTE ]
The sidewalls are stiff as hell, and the tire is rated at around 3100#ea, so I'm not worried that they're not specifically trailer tires. Should I be?

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to worry - LT235/85R16 are fine and dandy as trailer tires. They come standard on many of the heavier RV trailers.

But for 15" tires, stick with ST (special trailer) and not LT (light truck) tires.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Try www.uniquewheel.com They are aftermarket wheels but watch the load rating. Looks like 2000 pounds.

2007 Dodge 3500 Quadcab, 4x2, 6.7L Cummins, a/t, longbed, 4x2

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
V10 man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good find!

Yep, in their series 297 wheels, they have 5 different 16" wheels with 5-hole bolt circles, but the load rating is only 2200 pounds per wheel, or total axle rating of 8,800 pounds on a tandam-axle trailer. That should be good for up to around 9,500 pounds GVW for a tandam-axle tag trailer or 10,000 pounds GVW for a tandam-axle 5er or goose.

Also determine the PSI limit of those wheels and don't inflate the tires to more than the wheel limit. Probably 44 PSI, but might be as low as 35 PSI. At 45 PSI, the tires have a load capacity of 2,030 pounds. If the wheels allow 50 PSI, then the tires will have a load capacity of 2,205 pounds per the load/inflation table at http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/LoadInflLTMetric.pdf

Unique Series 297
Black "SOFT-8" Steel Wheel RWD

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

PART NUMBER RIM SIZE BOLT OFFSET BACKSIDE SHPG. WT. CENTER BORE LOAD
CIRCLE (+/-)MM SETTING RATING

297-7712 16X7 5-4.5 0 4" 35 3.3000 2200

</pre><hr />
Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Can you use truck rims. Chevy and Dodge both have 5 hole 16" wheels on their half ton trucks.
Ag__Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, and it turns out you can order them from Discount Tire.

Black steel 16" x 6.5" with 5 on 114.3mm hole pattern are less than $40. (114.3mm = 4.5")

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...-4.5*5-4.5%2F5

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

That's what I have on mine. Got them at BIG O. I needed more rail height height even after flipping the axles, Put on 7.35 x 16 trailer tires e rated.
Just have to be careful, I now only have about 2-3 inches between the duals but no problems so far with about 15,000 miles on them and I go over some VERY rough territory. (that is why I need the rail height).
I am weighing in at about 8500 lbs
garyT

DYNO: 325 hp 728 ft lbs
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Chevy and Dodge both have 5 hole 16" wheels on their half ton trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this I noticed a new Dodge 1500 CrewCab in a parking lot. Yep, only 5 lugs. With 20" tires and wheels! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.