The Diesel Stop banner

1st long tow over 10xxx lbs for 6 hrs.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  boatpuller 
#1 ·
the time is very near now. i have been visiting this site and reading alot of the posts about towing and setting up tongue weight....thanks - i have learned alot.

i am heading out of spfld il, heading to the lake of ozarks. my '02 7.3 x, pulling a 30ft scarab, (6400lbs plus 1000 lbs fuel, and trailer weight.

i have adjusted the brake setting and all is looking well. no wd hitch or air bags yet.

one question that some of you may be able to help with,
which route would be better....i55 thru st louis to i70, or take i72 west and cut thru some highways (rt 54)to kingdom city.

i will be traveling on a wednesday going down and sunday afternoon coming back.

how are those roads i72 and rt54....smooth. no rough patches??

thanks for any input!

#2 ·
i thought i would add one comment.

if you visited my history - the last time i posted this my boat never made it out of spfld....a wheel hub busted off as i was crossing the i55 bridge over lake springfield. what a mess...semi tow truck to haul boat away. i also did a little more research on the weight of my boat.

this time the tow is going to happen.

#3 ·
Easy tow. Take 72 to Hanibal (however you spell that!!!) and then down 54 to the lake. Smooth roads, and light traffic. You'll be on two lane highways some of the time, but they are wide and in good repair. Watch your speed on 54 north of 70, as one local PA will NOT plea bargan speeding tickets. Just won't do it. And there is a speed trap between Mexico and Kingdon city.

I like to trailer as empty as possible and fuel up at a truck stop 12 miles north of the lake, at the southern eldon exit. Depending on where you're splashing the boat, you may find cheaper gas in the lake area, but the Eldon truck stop has lots of room to turn around.

Don't mess with Saint Louis. The roads are more torn up, and the heavy traffic is a bad start/finish to your vacation. Have a great time down there.

#4 ·
I second his route! I have driven that with a car trailer a couple times. No problems at all. (One bridge is narrow,,and some two lane as he mentioned.) But overall good roads!

#5 ·
I don't have a recommendation on the route, but I wouldn't haul that fuel (unless you get it free at home). I live in IL and work in StL. You're way better off buying fuel in MO plus not paying to haul it.

Hope that 30' is enough for the Ozarks.
Best of Luck,
Devo

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Hope that 30' is enough for the Ozarks.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif, x2

I would probabilly come down 54 also the roads are in good shape and there will be less traffic.

#7 ·
Run the double nickel south into St. Loius. then run I-70. Thats my recomendation. That was always the smoothest flowing area for me when I drove a truck. You will get a good test on your truck once you get over towards the lake there. Youve got some decent size hills to run. Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.