3.73 vs 4.10 rear end - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.73 vs 4.10 rear end

I tow a 20 ft gooseneck with my 97PS which has 4.10 rear end gears. I am looking at buying a 2002 f350 PS and some of them that I have looked at have 3.73 rear end gears. I pull about 15-17K loaded with my 97PS and have no problem. What is the difference in pulling the same weights with the 2002PS with 3.73 gears? Am I going to have to change to the 4.10??? Any imput would be appreciated
1997 F250 PS 4 wheel drive John Wood towmaster tranny with Tru-cool tranny cooler and second Summitt tranny cooler with pusher fan on at 175 degrees, tranny temp gauge 4:10 gears aluminum diff cover with royal purple supercab flat bed, stancor glo plug relay, factory aluminum rims Firestone ride rite airbags rear 430,600 miles. 2002 F350 PS 4 wheel drive, 133,000 miles. Stock. Will be adding to make it my road tow vehicle to Vegas. Just added 31 row 6.0 cooler with Isspro tranny temp gauge and steering column mount.
dennis11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

What speeds are you going to be going? What is your percentage time towing versus unloaded. I pull 10-12K with no issues (with my DP-Tuner), but I would imagine at 17K it would start to be a challenge. I wouldn't want to be going 70mph with 4.11 gears considering the mileage drop above 2000 RPM. If you are predominantly towing at 60-65 mph and below, I thing the 4.11s will serve you best. If you only tow periodically, then the 3.73 will do. Either way, you MUST get a transmission temperature gauge and a 6.0 transmission cooler or another JW transmission will be in your future shortly. The DP-Tunes make towing so much more enjoyable.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

3.73 vs 4.10 rear end

Thanks for the input..I already have planned on another trip to Holtville. My tranny in my 97PS was still good when I visited John Wood. It was the best move I made in my hauling firewood to Vegas business. I change my tyranny fluid regularly and I have peace of mind when I am pulling the hills to Vegas.. Thanks again for the info

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1997 F250 PS 4 wheel drive John Wood towmaster tranny with Tru-cool tranny cooler and second Summitt tranny cooler with pusher fan on at 175 degrees, tranny temp gauge 4:10 gears aluminum diff cover with royal purple supercab flat bed, stancor glo plug relay, factory aluminum rims Firestone ride rite airbags rear 430,600 miles. 2002 F350 PS 4 wheel drive, 133,000 miles. Stock. Will be adding to make it my road tow vehicle to Vegas. Just added 31 row 6.0 cooler with Isspro tranny temp gauge and steering column mount.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dually I hope....

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rear ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Dually I hope....
I considered a dually but my f250 with the firestone ride right air bads towed my loads to Vegas for over 400K miles in the last 10 years that I am upgrading to an f350 but not a dually. I have blown tires on every possible wheel over that 10 year period and have gone down the road straight as a string in every instance. The only problem I really experienced was stopping. Came close a couple of times with everything locked up to rearending some idiot in Vegas who passed me and then had to brake to stop for a red light, but I paid very close attention to what was going on around me and with a lot of luck included never had a wreck. I just don't like the duallys in the hills and I take my trucks in the hills. You are right that it would probably be safer....That I will not deny. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Correct gear ratios have to do with being in the "sweet-spot" of the power-band, or the lowest RPM at the max torque.
Anyhow, proper axle ratio is calculated by: tire height (inches) x .12= Correct gear ratio. This calulation puts you in the center of the sweet-spot for best all-around use.
If you want better economy drop 1 gear size. If you want better towing go up one gear size. Any further jump then 1 size up and the engine will over-rev & waist fuel. More then 1 gear smaller will start to lug the engine below the power-band.
2001 F-350 7.3 6spd manual 4x4 extended cab long bed, K&N intake, open draft-tube, ATS ported compressor housing, 4" exhaust, BullyDog 6-position chip, exhaust valve eliminated, dieselsite-boost fooler-waistgate-crossover line, Diamond B bumpers.
Always remember my murdered FDNY brothers on 9/11
davejobes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis11 View Post
I am looking at buying a 2002 f350 PS and some of them that I have looked at have 3.73 rear end gears.
All the 2002 F-350 SRWs have a stock 3.73 ratio. On the DRW, 3.73 open axle was standard and 4.10 limited slip was optional.

Quote:
I pull about 15-17K loaded with my 97PS and have no problem. What is the difference in pulling the same weights with the 2002PS with 3.73 gears?
Probably about the same. The '99-up has more power and torque with the charge air cooler (so-called intercooler).

Your GCWR is 20,000 pounds, so you'll be a few thousand pounds overloaded over the GCWR. And if your 2002 is a CrewCab 4x4,you'll also be overloaded over the GVWR. So if you must tow at night, then install air bags and use them so your headlights don't blind oncoming drivers. And if your truck is an automatic, don't leave home without installing a tranny cooler from a 6.0L PSD, and a tranny temp gauge with the sender in the pressure port on the driver's side of the tranny. NEVER allow the tranny temp to go over 225, or you'll soon be visiting John Wood.

If you don't like the lack of performance when towing, then first install a pre-turbo pyrometer, then a 60-tow or 40-tow tune from DP-Tuner or Power Hungry Performance. Even dragging just 8,000 pounds, I would not want to tow without my 60-tow tune. With you heavier load, you might prefer 40-tow. And if you never allow more than 1,250 EGT, the towing tune won't reduce the longevity of your 7.3L engine.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 02-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.