Best tires for towing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best tires for towing

I tow a 33 ft 5th wheel thats about 14,000lbs. I tow both on road and on beaches . I've had Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos, I liked them but they only lasted 35K miles. Switched over to the Nitto Terra Grappler also 35K miles. (liked them but not as much as the Bridgestones) They both wore evenly but not happy on the tread life. Always kept tire pressure up to snuff and rotated properly.

Any suggestions on a good AT towing tire that will get good tread life?

Michelin's maybe?

thanks

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!
salamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

i ran the revos and had the same issues. then switched to han**** atms and same issue. now I have gone with michelin highway ribbed. (fronts only as the ATMS still have another 40k plus left on rears.) expensive tires but from what I have read in tirerack.com alot of people are getting 80k plus out of them. I too tow alot and alot of weight. about 20k. I also added airbags to help keep the truck level and front tires down.
rfishoutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Yours are lasting longer than BFGoodrich AllTerrain or Cooper Discoverer did on mine. I switched to Michelin XPS Rib and they are lasting a lot longer. I have over 50,000 miles on mine now, and the worst worn has 8/32nds tread left, with the others having 11 and 12/32nds tread left.

Not cheap. $271.48 at Sam's Club. Over $300 at my local Michelin dealer.
Sam's Club-LT235/85R16E 120/116Q Michelin® XPS® RIB

The XPS is available in two tread patterns, Rib and Traction. The traction tread costs about $12 more per tire, and they won't last as long as the Ribs. I wore out one set of Tractions, but since I don't really need the agressive tread I'm running the Ribs this set.

My second choice would be the Michelin LTX M/S2 - only $203.88 at Sam's Club.
Sam's Club-LT235/85R16E Michelin® LTX® M/S2

But even cheaper at our sponsor Discount Tire. $175.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fil...ager.offset=10

Now if we could just talk Discount Tire into selling the XPS Rib.

I don't have any experience with the new LTX M/S2, but Michelin rates them as higher tread mileage than the XPS Rib. Plus the biggest size the XPS comes in is LT235/85R16 while the LTX M/S2 also comes in LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 09-03-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add Discount Tire as a source for the M/S2
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Are we talking total treadlife or miles/dollar?
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Yours are lasting longer than BFGoodrich AllTerrain or Cooper Discoverer did on mine. I switched to Michelin XPS Rib and they are lasting a lot longer. I have over 50,000 miles on mine now, and the worst worn has 8/32nds tread left, with the others having 11 and 12/32nds tread left.

Not cheap. $271.48 at Sam's Club. Over $300 at my local Michelin dealer.
Sam's Club-LT235/85R16E 120/116Q Michelin® XPS® RIB

The XPS is available in two tread patterns, Rib and Traction. The traction tread costs about $12 more per tire, and they won't last as long as the Ribs. I wore out one set of Tractions, but since I don't really need the agressive tread I'm running the Ribs this set.

My second choice would be the Michelin LTX M/S2 - only $203.88 at Sam's Club.
Sam's Club-LT235/85R16E Michelin® LTX® M/S2

But even cheaper at our sponsor Discount Tire. $175.
Tire Products By Vehicle - Discount Tire

Now if we could just talk Discount Tire into selling the XPS Rib.

I don't have any experience with the new LTX M/S2, but Michelin rates them as higher tread mileage than the XPS Rib. Plus the biggest size the XPS comes in is LT235/85R16 while the LTX M/S2 also comes in LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16.

I ordered mine from discount tire so just ask them and they can get them. usually with in a couple of days. They also price match from the net. i got my price match from discountwarehouse for $207 per tire and discount tire matched there price. i did order the michelin xps ribbed
rfishoutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
Are we talking total treadlife or miles/dollar?
Treadlife in miles. You cannot compute miles per dollar until you know (or estimate) treadlife.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

OP, I would say your tire life was exceptional for the conditions.

I certianly wouldn't be complaining about that.

Highway ribs are an option, but I myself wouldn't run them unless I was towing full time.
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
I had the Nitto DuraGrapplers on my '08 SRW, and loved them. In fact, whenever the tires on the new dually wear out, I plan to replace them with Duras.

They are more of a hiway tread than AT, but have enough lug to do OK in mild mud and sand. They are extreemly quiet and smooth, and tow great!!

At Discount Tire, they are around $150 for a 235/85-16. Not bad for a E rated tire.
Disc Tire

Mark

Pulling a 2010 Sierra 355QBQ 5er

Sold- '08 F-350 - pic

Sold - '01 F-350 - pic
MDarrough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Having gone through a lot of tires in the last 10 years towing with these SuperDuties. I think any tire that gets more than 30,000 miles tread life
is doing great.

They are heavy trucks and when you are towing a lot, it wears the tires out fast.

This past year I decided to try the Goodyear Silent Armor tires. They are supposedly built for this heavier trucks. They have a pro rated 50k tread warranty. About the only AT tire that offers any kind of tread warranty. Tires did great in winter snow. They were not noisy. I was pretty impressed with them until this summer when it got hot and they started bulging on the sidewall. Tire dealer said I was overloading them. I replied I'm pulling the same trailers that I have for the past 10 years and none of the previous Conti, Toyo and other brands of tires have ever bulged. I replaced two tires at 16,000 miles in July. I just don't think they held up to the weight and the 100* heat of July.

As you can see, there is no obvious external damage that caused the bulge.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

That looks like a defect. I hope they replaced it under warranty.
BTW, your replacement list for your 06 is very scary Painted Horse.
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.

Last edited by 69mach1377; 09-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I guess I should edit my sig, The turbo went out at 108,000 and that was the final straw that pushed into buying the new 2011 truck. I don't mind changing the oil or fuel filters, But I really don't enjoy replacing serpentine belts or turbos.

I don't think the 6.0 was a bad engine. I just work the trucks hard. Between my horse trailer, Skid loader, Mini excavator, and dump trailer. My truck was towing something more than it ever was driven empty.

I had two tires that looked exactly the same during July. About 3 weeks apart. They did replace them but after they charge you the Pro-Rated mileage fee of about a $150. You kinda wonder if you came out ahead. I was pretty impressed with the Goodyears up until these failures.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

You did not say if your truck was SRW or DRW. SRW trucks usually don't get good tire life when towing, just too close on the weights. Using my truck (sig), I have consistantly gotten over 100,000 miles on rears and 85-90,000 on fronts. That has been with every make of tire I have put on it.

I used to pull camper and other trailers for a transport company and have 398,000+ miles on my truck. Trailers have ranged from an empty boat trailer to a 16k, multi-slide
5'er. Granted, most all those miles have been highway and are not as taxing as city driving.

Tire presures are the most important thing for good tread life. I have found running 60psi cold in the rears and 70psi cold in the fronts to give me the best tread wear. The tires I have had the best luck with are BF Goodrich Commercial TA's (from Discount Tire). Last set of rears were replaced at 116,000 miles with 4/32's left. Current front tires are at 58,000+ miles with 8/32's left.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mileage as of 09/20/10: 398,250
alfalfa44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have SRW. I I'm leaning toward the Michelin LTX A/T 2"s. Costco has a sale good until 10/13 for $70 off a set of 4 Michelin tires. So that's about $210 per tire plus tax. Plus Costco will do free tire rotation,balancing and flat fixes. which here in NY will save me $$$ over a few years. The tire Manager says I should get at least 60,000 from these tires if I treat them right (which I always do)

appreciate all of the input.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!
salamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

If life and durability are your biggest factors then the Michelin XPS ribs or XPS traction are the winners. I do think they are a bit harsher due to ALL steel carcass and tread plies.
I have been through a small fortune in trailer tires on living quarter horse trailers and the XPS ribs are the ONLY tire that holds up to it that you can find readily available (they are some commercial tires for low boy trailers hauling heavy equipment that re high load rated and durable but cost twice what the XPS Ribs do).
I have had the G rated Goodyear purpose built trailer tires in three different models all fail for no reason and I was blaming it on road debris but when I switched to XPS ribs on trailers I have had no blowouts and the trailers have been dragged many more tens of thousands of miles over the same roads since switching. These tires have been great on trucks too.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.