BigTex trailers....anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: BigTex trailers....anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

Tell Mark Buster and Richard Drake hello for me when you bump into them. Did I hear right that Riverby Trucking shut the doors or something?
'03 "TNT Ranch Edition" F350 CrewCab Lariat 4X4 DRW, 12V Cummins, P&P head with 60# valvesprings, PDR QuickSpool cam, built pump with 4K GSK, S366 Turbo, ZF6spd. with Valair Ceramic/Kevlar, manual hubs, 3.73's, 5.5" lift w/285 Dayton Timberlines, 2" DRW Spacers.
Bullrack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I've read all of the posts for this article. I think most of them are fair, even the ones with a little "rubbing." I think the folks who posted the negative responses are the same here as you would find anywhere in life where generally unhappy folks beat down a good thing to make themselves feel a little better,,lol..Just my opinion.
I can tell you that my first time around Big Tex was in the Late 1980's when they were producing some 12,000 trailers annually and shipping them coast to coast. Somehow they have managed to grow even well beyond that and only a well managed, consumer service oriented operation with an eye out for quality and value could possible achieve the stats they have. Plus as the former sales manager mentioned, Big Tex has product liability insurance. No one else in this low profit margin industry seems to be able to figure out how to accomplish this in order to protect their customers and dealers. I've spent years in the trailer business and then after that operating my own companies. I can tell you that at 40 years old I'd love to be part of the Big Tex team because they "got it!"
Good Luck!
P.S. Ohh yeah, one other thing I failed to mention. I saw some concerns about the weight of their trailer? LOL,,WOW,,upset because they put a lot of steel and bracing into a trailer! That alone should justify any price difference. I do remember sitting in Ricky Bakers office (the owner/founder of Big Tex) and he was on the phone. He told who ever he was talking to that "so far I've never had any of my Gooseneck trailers frames' twist." Even at that point he'd produced thousands of trailers for many year running.
NicholsStu01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

T-Bone -- Go visit the Brute trailers web site. The quality and value speak for themselves and they will build you whatever you want. www.brutetrailers.com
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Another well built trailer is Trailerworld in Bowling Green, KY. I have bought several of their GN trailers and grossly overloaded them. The only one that I ever had trouble with was one that I turned over when the road shoulder gave way. www.trailerworld.com

Sold '88 F-350 SRW 7.3

Sold 95' F-350 with 135K and 97 with 180,000K

Sold '99 F-450 with 130k Hypermax chip & exhaust

2002 SRW F-350 w/120,000 miles
rrangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #35 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

big tex are some good trailers I myself have a 25ft gooseneck that is a couple years old and at times still gets loaded to the max and some more, and ive never had an issue with it. awesome trailers
Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

After having to reweld broken welds on 2 BT trailers that my buddies own,( this was back in 1999/2000) you bet I can say never owned one, never will. One of them we ended up flipping over to make it easier do the the amount of rewelding needed. I will tell you a topnotch trailer manufacturer though
May trailers in Ada, Ok.
My 97 model (8k empty with boxes and chains)has well over a million miles on it and no broken welds, and its lighter than BT..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] which means you can haul bit more poundage [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] and get a bit more $ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
The BT trailers I saw scaled in at 9500 to 10 k empty at 40'.
I have owned May, Koening(built in Wharton Tx) and TWF (7400k empty)G/N trailers May trailers is the best overall, TWF is the lightest.
FYI - West Wind did not build all their trailers, outsourced to many different manufacturers, so basically you got the lowest bid trailer, rebadged. RoadBoss is a good example of a supplier to WestWind.I bought 3-18' carhualers from RB, went to pick them up in OK from them. That was eye opener for sure, regretted that purchase.
Adios, have fun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img]
txslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hauling frieght with a 1 ton , you look for the lightest well built trailer, so yea empty weight is an issue if you are a for hire carrier. Design and durability are the key here, to keep empty weight in check. So added steel/bracing really effects the trailer and is a viable concern.
I am 38 yrs old and really would like to be apart of the May trailer team.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #38 (permalink)

Here is what you need to look for in trailers. Primed and automotive paint on the trailer. Sealed wiring harnesses. Crossmembers on at the least 24"centers, using 18 wheeler style bed screws to secure the floor to crossmembers, -- not just flatbar at the end of the boards. Go under the trailer and make sure the wiring is ran thru tubing/pipe, not just between the board and crossmembers( which by the way I have a angle iron BT 16' er to take pics and show you the lack of quality on this, IMHO. I bought it used to haul my hunting buggy and kept blowing running light fuses. They ran the wires thru washers welded to the frame/crossmembers-- OK so how long is the insulation on the wires going to hold up to bouncing down the road before it wears thru? Keep in mind they used just the basic wiring harness that many other trailer guys use, not a sealed harness etc.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

I have a '98 PJ I bought new in 97 or 98 and have NO complaints. This trailer has plenty of miles. NC to AK, AK to UT, UT to VA, and soon VA back to AK. That's the big trips, but in and around quite a bit at each duty station. I'll admit it "looks" some what rough at this point, but you pull ANY trailer up the Alaskan highway with 35" AT tires in 99 and it(rock damage) will take the paint off the fenders...

I was 'poor' at the time of purchase and had to walk away from the sticker shock of a Tex at the time. If I had to buy one today I would compare the two and go from there... I will not knock a Big Tex, but my PJ has done me right [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #40 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I have a Big tex..10k and it tows like a dream, no problems .

cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
my major beef with big tex is that they do not protect their dealers..if big tex sees you making money being a dealer for them, and they feel like they want in that market, they will pull your dealership, and open up a dealership of their own in the same town...the reason that a lot of small trailer places sell them, is because they will put the inventory out there on your lot without you having to pay for it up front, helps with cash flow on a small company.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had looked into opening up a trailer shop a few years back with Big Tex being our main line. Your statement above is the Exact reason we stayed away from BigTex. I talked to many other trailer shops that carried BigTex and they all said almost exactly what you have stated regarding fear of BigTex moving in on them. They are greedy. They do make a damn good trailer. Their prep and paint work (read durability) is second to none.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

I agree on the PJ to BT comparison, PJ's hands down. I have not owned a PJ, but have had the opportuntity to check them out via the hotshot drivers I use that pull them. I still rate the May above the PJ, but not by much. Of course the BT cheerleaders will not like that.
Im not so sure on the Hayes to Dexter axle comparison. I have always had good service from Dexters, plus the trailer parts places I deal with have the parts instock for Dexters, maybe its just location.
One of our company trailers had the axles changed out 3-4 years ago with Hayes, no problems to date and its my first experience with Hayes.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #43 (permalink)

Why did he dig up a 2 yr old post for? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

STOLEN 1-8-07
1999 F-250 born on date 6/98, 7.3 PSD, 135K, ex-cab 4X4, Tymar mod, muffler delete, key-in-ignition mod, more to come
Serious case of PMS since I found this site
panhandleredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #44 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies guys

So I went to a dealer today and looked at the 10ET and the 12ET today.(Those are car haulers, 10,000 pound and 12,000 pound) The truck I will mostly tow on the trailer is 6000 pounds, my pulling truck. Plus the 2600 the trailer weighs would make the whole thing weigh 8600 pounds where the 10,000 GVW trailer would suit me just fine. But I like how the 12,000gvw is built much heavier, has 16" 8 lug wheeles and has a 9400 pound payload, not 7400 like the 10ET. So if I ever need to haul my (or someone elses) one ton or whatever that wont be a problem. The price difference is only about $450 too.
So I think I just about made up my mind on getting the 12,000 pounder, then the salesman tells me I would need a clas A license to tow it. Well thats a flaw in the slaw right there. Why is it I can pull a 12,500 pound camper with a class C but not a car trailer that will probably only weigh 8600 pounds at the most even though its rated for 12,000?

BTW, I live in California

[/ QUOTE ]

The laws state(nationwide) if you tow any trailer over 10K GVW then you are required to have a class A license. If you tow a travel trailer, a trailer not for hire or have an AG exemption then you need to have a non-commercial class A. You are tested in your rig so the driving part is easy. The written test is the hardest part. I haven't met someone who failed, it is that easy.

If you talk to the trailer MFG, they can put the heavy axles on the trailer with a GVW under 10K if you want. I have a trailer that is technically designed to haul 13K but the GVW is rated at 9960lbs. No special licences is needed but if it were to somehow to get overloaded it can handle it no problem. Plus the tires are never maxed out unless you inadvertantly/unknowingly overload the trailer, somehow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Annoy A Liberal
Work Hard, Succeed, Live Happy!

Family of 5 saved by Grace.....
strokin_early_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 AM   #45 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]

The laws state(nationwide) if you tow any trailer over 10K GVW then you are required to have a class A license.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't say that at all. It says that if the combined weight ratings are over 26001 and you tow a trailer over 10K, you need a Class A. Alternatively, in the definitions it also says if the GCWR is over 26001 and the GVWR of the towed vehicle is over 10K, you need a Class A.

This myth just won't die.

Here are the two quotes from the actual reg:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Link: CDL Program

(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or

Link: CMV Definition

So, with a '07 F350 which has a GCWR of 23K, and the truck weighs 8500, I can pull 14500, legally without a CDL. I do need to have a license plate in my state for at least 23K if I'm doing that.
MX727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.