The Diesel Stop banner

Brake Controller Gain

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MichaelPatrick 
#1 ·
I have owned a camper since 2007 and have been using the same brake controller since then. Someone screwed with my brake settings and i can't get them right again. i have a simple controller with a squeeze thing for just trailer brakes and two knobs on each side, one for gain, one for power. First of all what is the difference between the gain and power settings. second how should i go about adjusting them. I was pulling a cupple of days ago, and every time i go to hit the brakes, it would jerk for a second then be smooth until i got to about 10mph then it would jerk on and off until i stopped. toy hauler does weigh 16k loaded and pulling in PA mountains so i want them to be right for the next trip. If you think i need to upgrade, what kind should i get? Thanks.

#2 ·
Which controller do you have?

They all have a lever of some sort to manually apply trailer brakes so we don't need to discuss that. One dial will be power, that sets the voltage sent to the magnets and as you increase voltage the magnets drag more, increasing braking.

Some controllers use a pendulum to "activate" the brakes based on inertia. Turning the dial for it allows the pendulum to swing faster or slower for quicker response.

As far as how to set the brakes: ideally with the brakes warmed up, if your doing 30 mph and press the truck brakes you should feel the trailer slightly tugging like a friend sort of pulling on your shoulder. If the trailer pushes you, increase power. If your head gets jerked ease up on the voltage. Make SMALL changes and test.

Hope this helps. With information as to the brand/model of controller more specific information/help is easier.

#3 ·
Using the model, see if you can find the manual online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
16K is a lot of weight. You might want to take a look at the Tekonsha P2 or P3 controlers. I have a P3 and it has done really well over the three years I've had it. It's truly a set and forget controler also you can store up to five settings.
Good Luck,
Bill

#5 ·
I think its time for a new cotroller--P3s have a very good rep. And don't let anyone mess with this one--might be a shootin' offense...

#6 ·
Ok thanks, I will look into them and try to get one. And yea I had it perfect before someone went messing with it.

#7 ·
Speaking of, Chuckster, thanks for the recommendation of the Prodigy P2 about a year ago. Finally installed it in my wife's pickup yesterday.
Freddyh, you can go to Google and get the operating instruction for most any controller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.