Can Gooseneck & 5th wheel hitches co-exist? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can Gooseneck & 5th wheel hitches co-exist?

Last night I read tons of posts on 5th wheel hitches, 5th wheel convertors, 46" vs 49" etc etc but didn't see any posts with my situation.

I have a Draw Tite remove-a-ball gooseneck hitch installed for my 24' gooseneck flatbed to haul tractor etc. Now we are buying a 30' Wildcat 5th wheel that comes with a 15.5k Shelton 4-way (rocking) 5th wheel hitch. The hitch rails are about $125 so I figured the cheapest way to do this is install the rails instead of buying a gooseneck convertor ($350-$500).

I'd like to leave the Draw-Tite gooseneck and the Firestone Air-bags in place. Has anybody seen this or done this before or am I going to have to loose the gooseneck hitch and buy a gooseneck plate?

Another concern I have is shear number of holes in the frame rails - I already have holes from the Draw-tite, then 4 more (although small) holes from the air-bags and now more holes for the 5th wheel rails.

Truck is 1999.5 F-250 SB SRW.

Thanks,

Jeff
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Can Gooseneck & 5th wheel hitches co-exist?

<font color="green"> I am not familiar with your set-up; but, I see many different trucks, every day, and quite a few of them have a gooseneck ball peeking up under a fifth-wheel mechanism.

The fifth-wheel has to be removed, before the gooseneck can be used.

With a little engineering/welding, you can probably re-design your fifth-wheel set-up to compliment your existing gooseneck. </font>
3:55 DANA 70
LongRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have coexisting gooseneck and fifth wheel hitches. I have an RBW Lil Rocker fifth wheel hitch with their bed rails. The rails have two sets of slots with the fifth wheel using the outer set. I have a thick plate with a gooseneck ball welded to it that has ears welded to underside of it to fit the inner set of rail slots. I can have either the goose ball plate or the fifth wheel hitch mounted or can have both at same time. With both, the ball is under the fifth wheel hitch and clears the underside of it by several inches. Of course to use the ball, the fiver hitch must be removed from over the top of it, but the ball can stay if you are towing a fifth wheel. The ball plate pins to the rails just as the fiver hitch does. The ball plate is custom made, but it is simple welding that can be done by any good welder.
2002 F350 4x4 CC DRW Lariat 7.3 auto 4.10 LS diff.(bought 5-05 @ 76,000 miles) Pyro, Boost, and Trans gauges. AIH delete. Tru-Cool Max trans cooler. Magnafine filter. Royal Purple MAX synthetic ATF. 55 gallon aux bed tank. 2LO Mod.

2002 Holiday Rambler 30-SKS Alumascape fifth wheel
24 foot gooseneck livestock trailer

1940 McCormick Deering restored Farmall H, used weekly (the grand-daddy of International)
Used goats for rent
twobit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green"> I am not familiar with your set-up; but, I see many different trucks, every day, and quite a few of them have a gooseneck ball peeking up under a fifth-wheel mechanism.

The fifth-wheel has to be removed, before the gooseneck can be used.

With a little engineering/welding, you can probably re-design your fifth-wheel set-up to compliment your existing gooseneck. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I had to do and it works well.

Capt Ron
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was hoping to keep the existing Draw-Tite Gooseneck and add the 5th wheel hitch 'around' it and have both independently mounted to the truck frame.

I'm pretty sure the 5th wheel rail closest to the rear bumper will be clear of the gooseneck hardware, just not sure about the 5th wheel rail closest to the cab - if it will need to be mounted in the same spot as the gooseneck is.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

If the Shelton bedrail kit will not bolt in without removing the gooseneck hitch, then get rid of the current gooseneck hitch. Install the Shelton bedrail kit that will fit your Shelton 5er hitch. Then buy the Shelton Gooseneck hitch that will use the same bedrails as the 5er hitch. Click here.

Yep, it will cost you a bit over $200 to have your cake and eat it too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

BTW, both Draw-Tite and Reese make the same type of gooseneck hitch that will plug into the 5er bedrails. But that's not the Draw-Tite gooseneck hitch you have. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

The Reese Signature Series uses what they call a Power Puck" system which allows you to use both a gooseneck and fifth-wheel head with the same rails (under the truck). The gooseneck unit is @ $500, the fifth-wheel is @ $750 (the rail system is around $250 I think).. Just had one installed for the fifth wheel, really nice and leaves the bed open when the hitch is removed.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I have the flip over ball type gooseneck hitch and the fiver hitch. I also have airbags. I don't remember anything special that I had to do to mount everything. The only thing is like stated above. I have to remove my fiver hitch to use my gooseneck hitch. I installed all of this before I discovered hitches like Smokey is talking about. But anyway I needed a slider fiver since I have a short bed.
03 F250 SD PSD Lariat 7.3, FX4 Crew Cab Short Box, 3.73 Gears, Auto Tranny, Jody Tipton 80 HP Econo Tune, Turbo Back 4" Exhaust W/5" Tip, Home Made Tymar, Isspro Gauges, T/C Lock Up Switch, 203 Degree Thermostat, Coolant Filter, Upgraded Headlight Wiring Harness, Diode Mod for Dims, Bilstein Shocks, Kenwood Head Unit, Sirius Radio, Valentine 1
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I read tons of posts on 5th wheel hitches, 5th wheel convertors, 46" vs 49" etc etc but didn't see any posts with my situation.

I have a Draw Tite remove-a-ball gooseneck hitch installed for my 24' gooseneck flatbed to haul tractor etc. Now we are buying a 30' Wildcat 5th wheel that comes with a 15.5k Shelton 4-way (rocking) 5th wheel hitch. The hitch rails are about $125 so I figured the cheapest way to do this is install the rails instead of buying a gooseneck convertor ($350-$500).

I'd like to leave the Draw-Tite gooseneck and the Firestone Air-bags in place. Has anybody seen this or done this before or am I going to have to loose the gooseneck hitch and buy a gooseneck plate?

Another concern I have is shear number of holes in the frame rails - I already have holes from the Draw-tite, then 4 more (although small) holes from the air-bags and now more holes for the 5th wheel rails.

Truck is 1999.5 F-250 SB SRW.

Thanks,

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the draw tite rail system, if so the fifthwheel will fit in it,
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.