CDL Test & F450/Gooseneck? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CDL Test & F450/Gooseneck?

Hello,

I am considering buying an '08 F450 for work and I have a 34' enclosed gooseneck trailer registered for 14,000 pounds. Has anyone taken a test with a pickup and gooseneck combo? How hard was the driving test thinking the parallel parking may be my only issue (like I would actually do that in real life). Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks Tim
moosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: CDL Test & F450/Gooseneck?

I haven't taken the test, but I would go take the test with a combo that I was comfortable driving. If you think you can drive a bumper pull trailer better, then take the test with that. Whatever you like. I would think that your trailer might be a tad long for the test, but something too short would not be great either. As long as your combo comes in at or over 26,001 lbs you should be good to go. Oh yeah. Make sure you know your pre test run through and check. I've heard/read that most people fail the run through before you even get to the driving section.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not knowing your state its hard to give info. It USED to be ok to take test with pickup and GN flatbed and it covered class A. Now (to my understanding but I did NOT look it up) If you don't take with semi (air brake)with trailer you don't get a full Class A.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am in New Hampshire. I don't need airbrake endorsement, just the class A to operate this rig legally.

Tim
moosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

combo truck and trailer must be over 26,001 GVWR parellel parkin them ain't bad, i have my Class A, and you'd be surprised when you get into situations when you have to parellel park one, or use that manuver.

good luck

oh and like the previous post said, make sure you know your pre trip insp. they're anal about that most of the time
computergeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

CDL tests are crazy, while it is a national license, the test varies from state to state. In some states all you have to do is drive forward...

From my experience in taking both Class B & A tests in Ohio, the pre-trip part is the hardest, there are a lot of things to remember. But the driving test is more than being able to drive the vehicle. You may be asked about road signs, and asked to safely pull the truck off the side of the road (using the proper procedures). One of the thing they would do with us was we would pass a bridge clearance sign, then 30 seconds later the tester would ask what the exact clearance was. No correct answer, no pass.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Thats how it is here in colorado also. They changed it recently too. I dont know the whole story but if you go for a class A you will need to take it in a semi. They now came up with some other endorsement that you will receive if you take it with the pick up that will make it legal to drive your pick up that heavy but it wont make you legal to drive a semi.
1982 Mustang 302 HO

HOURS TO BUILD, SECONDS TO BREAK
mflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I took my class B test back in August in NJ. The driving part is easy. It s you know how to drive or you dont. But I can say one thing that many people fail on is the PRETRIP inspection. Anything you can see make sure you tell the dmv person that it works and it properly mount and secured. Im talking about everything gauges on the dash, steering wheel, consoles everything. Then when your out side of the truck touch everything as well. Make sure for the tires you have a tread depth gause with you and touch every lug nut and them there tight. Anything you see, touch it and say it properly mount and secured.
1996 F-250 CC SWB 7.3L XLT traded
2004 US Cargo 14x 7 enclosed trailer
Markford14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just a thought - but you should be able to sneak by with a 1 ton and be under 26,000. Don't know what the ford's GVW is, but on my GMC it's 11,400 lbs. That leaves me about 3500 lbs for tongue weight, with me in it. That would be enough for a 14,000 lb gooseneck. A one ton is also much easier to drive and MUCH cheaper to repair.

My GMC will pull a 14,000 lb trailer all day long without working hard at all. I'm sure the ford is similar.
mgraveman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Any trailer over 10K GVWR requires a class A CDL, regardless of the total combination GVWR.

The only exception would be for farm use.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

DITTO on what Mr_Roboto says. Practice looking at the bridge signs, in a curve that says 45mph(yellow speed limit sign) speed you better be going 5mph under that suggestion.If its raining go a bit slower While driving around town in you car/truck just practice paying attention to every road sign you see. Most important of all is look ahead in traffic like 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead, watch for brake lights, slowing traffic in a particular lane, like say a 6 lane hwy. Be prepared for the tester to say , what lane of traffic did you see brake lights in?, What was the clearance of that overpass? Suggested speed on that curve?, blind intersection---how far ahead? thats what a CDL tester will be looking for in my experience.
Know your pretrip inspection and explain it in detail as you go thru it. For example start from the front and say " i am looking the windshield for any intersecting cracks, I am looking at the headights for cracks or moisture built up under the lense, now I am inpecting tie rod ends for looseness or missing nuts or cotter pins, now I am inspection lug nuts looking for missing nuts or rust stains that would indicate a loose lug nut.
Just remember this is the government at work here, common sense has no place here
good luck
Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Depends on your state and your commerce. In Tx you can gross upto 26,001 and be legal for no DOT requiremnets, now if you cross the state line 10k has you,(10,001 is USDOT requirement, not the states,each state has its own weight rating max for commercial) if you are in the furtherence of business.
There are alot of RV's way over 10k
So a f450(15k gvwr) and a 10k trailer in Tx would not require a CDL, if crossed state lines it would and thats for business, not personal like an RV. Personally I think all these RV'ers should be under DOT rules and have to get CDL's.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

It may be different in other states, but Kansas definitely does not do that. I actually think that it is a Federal thing that any combination under 26,001 lbs does not require a CDL. A truck with GVW under 26,001 can also pull a trailer under 10,001 lbs and not be need a CDL either.

Either way - if you are considering this - you should not trust internet advide and do your own research.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

You can listen to people or you can go read the regs for yourself:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...egulations.htm

Here is the definition of a CMV from DOT:

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle-

(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or

(b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more); or

(c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

So it looks like he'd be OK with a one ton and that trailer?

One more thing - I've been thinking about this. I had a 32' trailer a while ago. It weighed close to 6000 lbs empty. What are you putting in there? I was easily able to go over the rating of that trailer, and I had a higher capacity than you. You might want to add up the weights of what you are putting in there and check if that is enough axle.

You could step up to a triple axle - but that's a problem in and of itself. I had that and hated it as much as my other problems of not enough capacity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.