CDL Test & F450/Gooseneck? - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: CDL Test & F450/Gooseneck?

[ QUOTE ]
For the misinformed:

There is nothing in the FEDERAL regulations that requires you to have a CDL if the trailer you tow is over 10k pounds - commercial or not commercial. As long as your GCWR is under 26k you do not need a CDL. The federal regulations haven't changed in this area since they were put out in the 70's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you got that info from, but the federal requirements that standardized the CDL went into effect in the '90's. They are the same for all states. I'm looking at them right now. Here is the breakdown:

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

You can read about it here: Federal CDL requirements

Bear in mind that the goal of the law was to ensure that drivers of big rigs and buses were qualified to operate those vehicles. Individual states retained the right to make their rules more stringent. These regs only ensure that all CMV drivers meet a minimum standard.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

Here is some info from the FMCSA site. You can read all of it right here .

[ QUOTE ]
Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means that you don't have to be driving a truck with as GVWR over 26,000lbs in order to get a "Class A" CDL. Note also that you can't get a "Class B" with you F450. So any truck and trailer, regardless of size, which puts the combination over 26,000lbs GCWR would work for the CDL road test.

After re-reading your posts I realized you said your traier was RATED at 20,000lbs and REGISTERED for 14,000lbs. The registered weight is a tax issue and separate from the rated weight - which applies to whether or not you need a CDL. You will definately need a CDL in order to tow your trailer legally since it is rated at 20K. Hook up to any 3/4 ton pickup or larger and you will be over 26,000 combined rated weight. It doesn't matter what the truck and trailer actually weigh. This is where most people get confused. You need find the actual weight of the truck and trailer you will be driving and use this number to obtain your registered weight. Once you register with a number over 26,000lbs the taxes go up in hurry no matter the state.

It's possible in your state the trailer is registered separately from the truck. If this is the case then you need to register the truck at it's full GVWR and register the trailer with the remaining weight. It wouldn't hurt to add some extra since your trailer can handle it. Just make sure you buy enough registration for your combined weight and you should be fine. The newer F350 SRW truck are rated at 11,000(iirc), and would tow your 14,000lb trailer fine if don't want a dually. Another possbility is having your trailer de-rated with a new GVWR at 15,000lbs, which would put you under the 26K CDL threshold combined with a truck rated at 11,000lbs. It might save you a lot of hassle. I had 1 axle removed from my tri-axle trailer(derated from 18K to 12K)in order to get below 26K. The trailer place had no problem doing this since they were the manufacturer.

Here in GA you buy we buy registration based upon the weight of truck AND trailer. The basic plate or registration starts at 14k, then goes to 18k, then 26K, and up from there. All license plates 18K and up have the weight written on the plate. This makes it very easy to spot a truck which isn't registered correctly.

Hope this helps some.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #48 (permalink)

I guess I got the time wrong. The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was when the regulations started, and drivers in all states were required to have CDL's as of 1992. I was looking at some old Georgia info when I spoke. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowhere in this sentence does it say you are required to have a CDL for trailers over 10K if the combination is UNDER 26,001.

From the back of my Georgia driver's license:

[ QUOTE ]
Class C - May operate single vehicles less than 26,001 lbs GVWR. May tow trailer less than 10,001 lbs GVWR. May tow trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR provided the GCWR is less than 26,001. All recreational vehicles are included in this class.

[/ QUOTE ]

This follows the federal standard exactly. Not sure why they included "May tow trailer less than 10,001 lbs GVWR" - I would hope so since you can tow with a trailer over 10,000 lbs.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #49 (permalink)

You are right, I confused GVWR with GCWR for a second when I mentioned the class B. Class B would be useless anyway as I need to haul a heavy trailer.

Tim
moosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #50 (permalink)

Hello all, I have been reading this thread of a while now and most of the information has been correct. It is the combination of the tow vehicle's "GVRW" and the toed vehicle's "GVRW" that trigger the CDL law. If over 26001 lbs and the vehicles are used in a commerical venture you have to have a CDL. You can take your CDL test with whatever you plan to use as a tow vehicle. I took my class A CDL test with my F250 and my 32 ft 5th wheel trailer (21,300 LBS GVRW), but I did not get the air brake rating as I do not need it. The test is the same, per-trip inspection, driving, backing, parking, etc, just minus the air brake inspection. Again, if you are not going to do anythig commerical you do-not need a CDL (Commerical Driver Licence).

Paul
Keep on Strokin
Old 02-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #51 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

How did you take your test with a vehicle that has a gvwr of 21,300?
1982 Mustang 302 HO

HOURS TO BUILD, SECONDS TO BREAK
mflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #52 (permalink)

Oops, Sorry about that, The combined GVWR of my truck and trailer is 21,3000 lbs. 8800 for the truck and 12,500 for the RV. BTW, I use the F250 in a small (me) RV transport company. At this time I have 331,450 miles and still running strong. Next time I will check my post closer.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #53 (permalink)

"Again, if you are not going to do anythig commerical you do-not need a CDL (Commerical Driver Licence)."

Wrong, if your truck/trailer combo is over 26001, you need a CDL, unless you are in one of the few specific exempt categories (I won't repeat them again, but they do not include "not for commercial".

If you think I'm wrong, try renting a semi and trailer with your regular drivers license, "I'm not going to use it for anything commercial".

That's from the DOT handbook and the DOT inspector who threatened to give me a ticket for driving up for my test pulling the trailer when I didn't have the license yet (Yeah, I thought the same thing but didn't say it out loud).
1949 chevy 1/2 ton pickup - almost stock
psy999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #54 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

and....when you were done with your CDL test you CAN'T drive the truck home. You are not "legal" to operate a "commercial" truck until you get your official printed license. The one main reason I rented the test station truck/trailer.

Places like Ryder/Penske will rent you a tractor.....but the person DRIVING it better have a CDL! Plus if you are not a corporate business or plan on renting a fleet the deposit is $5000!!!! CASH!!! No business checks or Credit card! Ya, I know because where I work went thru this a year ago. Need a tractor for ONE day and had to hand them a bank check.
1969 F100 SB.....428 cubic inches of dual quad, 4 speed terror.
1964 Galaxie......390 cubic inches of blown big block...with a 4 speed
1964 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon.....428 ci and 5 speeds of wheelstanding race car
40ft Haulmark trailer..for the car, quad, AND kitchen sink
FOKISD MEMBER
ATHS MEMBER
....old trucks RULE!
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #55 (permalink)

what RIDICULOUS RULES!!!!!! and it keeps getting worse..
Rules to go by in the state of Texas.
If the trailer can haul more than 10K including the trailers weight (and doesnt have farm tags) you better have a CDL! I DONT CARE WHAT TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING!
Just having a 1 ton truck with a 20' tandem dual ( 20K rated) hooked up is enough to get a serious fine.

Its really chicken $hit of states and thier rules for testing etc in my opinion.. I drove MY truck and MY trailer to the DPS office and took the test AND drove it home...

In MY case where I am hauling equipment "operating" my business I have to have a CDL.and then I had to have a DOT number, be registered with the Texas Motor carrier association, carry commercial insurance, have a DOT inspection on my dually, carry triangles and a fire extinguisher etc etc etc... Its just a way for the state to get into your back pocket to the tune of about $1000.00

Keep in mind here in Austin that not only do we have to put up with Texas DPS officers, being that Austin is the capitol they ALSO have Austin police officers that are designated " lisence and weights" officers and ALL they do is pull trucks over and do road side inspections...ask me how I know..
LATE 1999 F350 CC Dually 2WD,4" stainless Magnaflow.Highly Modified GT38 Turbo
DP-Tuner 4 Pos. chip, PS2000,4" intake with fleetguard filter ,Suncoast Tranny With Triple disc T/C, Lunar Guages
12 Speaker 770 watt Fosgate,Sony and Infinity system with (((XM))), Stull Billet,BFG's and acetoned badges.ART rotors, More to come. 8100lbs.
1/4 mile 14.80 @ 94.24 MPH
2000 Limited 4X4 Excursion Toreador red and tan,(((XM)))Rancho RSX's, Hellwig anti sway,V codes on front, skyjacker dual stabilizer, Edge Evolution AFE with PG7, Eddins House of Diesel 4" Exhaust with Polished 5" tip, Suncoast tranny with triple lock, 15.1" DVD monitor,now rolling Akuza Bounce 20's w/ Toyo 305/55/20 AT's

OUR TRUCKS and new ****350Z ****
EXCAV8TER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #56 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

Lately here in Ohio, there are ALOT more white crown vic's running around but they aren't Smokeys. They are enforcement officers looking for trucks to pick apart.
1969 F100 SB.....428 cubic inches of dual quad, 4 speed terror.
1964 Galaxie......390 cubic inches of blown big block...with a 4 speed
1964 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon.....428 ci and 5 speeds of wheelstanding race car
40ft Haulmark trailer..for the car, quad, AND kitchen sink
FOKISD MEMBER
ATHS MEMBER
....old trucks RULE!
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #57 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
what RIDICULOUS RULES!!!!!! and it keeps getting worse..
Rules to go by in the state of Texas.
If the trailer can haul more than 10K including the trailers weight (and doesnt have farm tags) you better have a CDL! I DONT CARE WHAT TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING!
Just having a 1 ton truck with a 20' tandem dual ( 20K rated) hooked up is enough to get a serious fine.

Its really chicken $hit of states and thier rules for testing etc in my opinion.. I drove MY truck and MY trailer to the DPS office and took the test AND drove it home...

In MY case where I am hauling equipment "operating" my business I have to have a CDL.and then I had to have a DOT number, be registered with the Texas Motor carrier association, carry commercial insurance, have a DOT inspection on my dually, carry triangles and a fire extinguisher etc etc etc... Its just a way for the state to get into your back pocket to the tune of about $1000.00

Keep in mind here in Austin that not only do we have to put up with Texas DPS officers, being that Austin is the capitol they ALSO have Austin police officers that are designated " license and weights" officers and ALL they do is pull trucks over and do road side inspections...ask me how I know..

[/ QUOTE ]

You think it's bad now, JUST WAIT. If you want an example of WHY go read the 4 page post "Help!! My new fiver bucks me like a bull!" This is an absolutely classic example of why we are going to be slammed with CDL laws and new restrictions PDQ. We have guys that have huge checkbooks, and not one lick of common sense. Guys with so-called "trucks" that are nothing more than glorified sports cars. Hell, that toy hauler might as well be hooked to a VW bug for all the better he is doing. He will keep dumping his cash trying to make it ride right, it wont, not in a million years! Saddest part of all, in 4 pages of posts 2 guys have told him the truck was too small. One was ridiculed by a moderator for giving him solid advice (even if it was not a good idea) it was still by far the best advice he has been given so far "PERIOD!", besides getting a bigger truck! Everybody else is starry-eyed and drooling over the new shiny thing he purchased. Wont be long till the guys that "need" to haul for a living are going to be drug down in a sea of new taxes and red tape. Never mind what its going to do to our insurance rates. This guy doesn't have the slightest clue what he is doing is dead wrong, dangerous and at the very least scary. Nobody is telling him its wrong, the vast majority are patting him on the back with "atta-boys" The scariest thing of all, and he doesnt have the slightest clue this can happen to him. If he gets in a wreck and somebody gets killed with that thing (it DOES NOT matter who's fault the wreck was) he is going to prison. Just wait till the DOT shows up to work that wreck.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #58 (permalink)

"and....when you were done with your CDL test you CAN'T drive the truck home. You are not "legal" to operate a "commercial" truck until you get your official printed license."

Freightrain, they did the same to you? I thought the guy was just being a real pr-ck with me when he made me drop my trailer until I came back with the offical CDL driver's license (wouldn't accept the temporary DMV forms showing I passed the tests). I guess I owe him an apology.

Dave
1949 chevy 1/2 ton pickup - almost stock
psy999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #59 (permalink)

The combined GVWR of my truck and trailer is 21,3000 lbs. 8800 for the truck and 12,500 for the RV. BTW, I use the F250 in a small (me) RV transport company.
Vickie Budreau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #60 (permalink)

Does the registered weight of that trailer qualify it for Class A CDL? I thought it was the placarded weight. I recall having to look at the placards for my Class A test.

Disregard didn't read the last page of the thread, already covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.