Do I need a CDL? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a CDL?

After all the CDL talk I'm wondering if I need one. I pull a 3 horse gooseneck (6,000 lb.) with up to 3 hoses (say 1,200 lbs. each) and maybe 300 lbs. of tack & misc.. Total would be around 9,900, I pull with a 99 F250 (say 7,200 lbs). Gooseneck is about 26 feet long but about 5 feet are over the bed. Am I legal without a CDL in Ohio?
dwelch250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Do I need a CDL?

I guess it varies a little from state to state, but the general rule is GCWR of 26000 or less no CDL needed. You are of course over your GVWR with that load and a 18% tongue weight. I'd be more worried about that than the GCWR.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
After all the CDL talk I'm wondering if I need one. I pull a 3 horse gooseneck (6,000 lb.) with up to 3 hoses (say 1,200 lbs. each) and maybe 300 lbs. of tack & misc.. Total would be around 9,900, I pull with a 99 F250 (say 7,200 lbs). Gooseneck is about 26 feet long but about 5 feet are over the bed. Am I legal without a CDL in Ohio?

[/ QUOTE ]
Many rules and each state has its own variations (it seems) Here is what I see... IF you own all the horses are NOT pulling for hire (even one horse) you SHOULD be ok without CDL.
Want real fun? My cousin's wife could LEGALLY drive a semi with 80k lbs total weight loaded with her basic lic IF it was their hay/grain/machine on the trailer. No training needed. Same if it is a RV. Tons of rules the only way to know for sure is go to DMV get books THEN ask questions and get answers written down/signed by them. (good luck)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
Want real fun? My cousin's wife could LEGALLY drive a semi with 80k lbs total weight loaded with her basic lic IF it was their hay/grain/machine on the trailer. No training needed.

[/ QUOTE ]Probably could only do that within 150 miles of the "farm". Any further away than that and she would need a CDL A probably with air brake certification.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Want real fun? My cousin's wife could LEGALLY drive a semi with 80k lbs total weight loaded with her basic lic IF it was their hay/grain/machine on the trailer. No training needed.

[/ QUOTE ]Probably could only do that within 150 miles of the "farm". Any further away than that and she would need a CDL A probably with air brake certification.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not since any blue hair can hop in a Prevost Coach pulling a full size suv on a trailer without a CDL. The key is "not for hire"
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.