Electric over Hydraulic brakes on a gooseneck? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric over Hydraulic brakes on a gooseneck?

When I order my new gooseneck trailer, I am leaning towards getting it with electric over hydraulic brakes versus standard electric ones. Looking for feedback from anyone who has or has had the electric over hydro setup, pros? cons? Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
The "electric" part means it works similar to ordinary electric trailer brakes in that it is controlled by an electric trailer brake controller.

The hydraulic part is where it's much, much better than ordinary electric brakes. And like hydraulic brakes on cars and trucks, you might have an option of either drum brakes or disk brakes. The drum brakes are less expensive, but subject to fading when used hard. Disk brakes are much better, and less subject to fading.

The only problem with electric over hydraulic brakes is you have to have a trailer brake controller that is made for your exact brand/style of brakes. The optional Ford factory brake controller won't work on most brands of electric over hydraulic brakes. Ordinary cheaper electric trailer brake controllers won't work. So be sure you have a source for a matching controller before you buy a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes.

So order the trailer with electric over hydraulic disk brakes and including the matching brake controller and you're good to go.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ive got a Prodigy brake controller, and as far as I know it is ok to use with that style of braking system. The trailer will be occasionally loaded to around 26k, would the electric over hydro disc brake setup be the best choice for me?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Q.) Will the Prodigy« work with Electric-Hydraulic Brakes?A.) Tekonsha« brake controls are designed to operate electric brakes that are activated by magnets. They have not been tested for the use on electric/hydraulic brake systems. Please contact the manufacturer of the hydraulic control unit for their recommendations. Tekonsha

Here is the scoop on the Prodigy brake controller from the manufacturer's website. Apparently they haven't tested them on the electric over hydraulic brakes and don't know whether or not they will work.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascadillac42 View Post
Ive got a Prodigy brake controller, and as far as I know it is ok to use with that style of braking system. The trailer will be occasionally loaded to around 26k, would the electric over hydro disc brake setup be the best choice for me?
Electric over hydraulic disk brakes are the way to go. . .now all you need is a truck rated for that trailer...
HiJack 21k 4way hitch
hiljoball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

400hp 8.3L Cummins powered FL70 is in the works, along with a 20 ton trailer, but I still need something to haul my off road trucks, skidsteers, mini excavators, personal cars, etc...... around with. And I cant afford to buy a crew cab FL70, so its a day cab that will be used more for work and trips by myself or with one other person. I do use the crew cab as it was intended once in a while, and still tow a decent load behind my truck. Im not saying Ill be crossing the scales at a max of 37,100 GCW, but the weights are bound to be up there sometimes. Thats why I want the best braking options I can have.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have never read a bad thing about elec. over hyd. brakes. If you can float the money I would get a Brake Smart controller. Have also read they are the best. I don't know what they're called now, as I think the name has changed.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.

Last edited by NickKent; 05-23-2008 at 10:14 PM.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKent View Post
I have never read a bad thing about elec. over hyd. brakes. If you can float the money I would get a Brake Smart controller. Have also read they are the best. I don't know what their called now, as I think the name has changed.
They are sold by Dr. Performance and IMHO are best brake controller for what you want to do. I have a 4Star horse trailer that weighs 10K# empty and it is rated to 23K# GVWR. I have had it a few # over 18K# loaded for a large horse show. The truck in my signature had no problems with that load. The Dexter Electric over Hydraulic Disc brakes are superb.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2Á Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203║ T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Titan BrakeRite works with every brake control and has a converter to work with the Ford and GM integrated brake controls.
darricks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darricks View Post
The Titan BrakeRite works with every brake control and has a converter to work with the Ford and GM integrated brake controls.
The The DEXTER Electric / Hydraulic Disc Brake Actuator works with the '08 Tow Command on my F450. The disc brakes are the way to go IMO.
Stalwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.