Fiver Hitch (Air ride 0r fixed hitch) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fiver Hitch (Air ride 0r fixed hitch)

Hello Guys

I am in the market for the best Fith Wheel Hitch for our new 450. looking for some great recomendations for this hitch, Thinking of going with air ride hitch, do you recomend going with a fixed hitch and running the air ride on the trailer or instaling a air ride hitch in the truck?

Thanks
Chris
Delivery Date August 01/07
Will post lots of picks of our new Rig.

Web Album http://picasaweb.google.com/happycamper64

2006 Antiqua Travel Trailer (Starcraft)
1999 Chev Astro,
Mods for towing, Rancho Shocks, HD Sway bars, Locker Diff, Aerotravel Wind Deflector, Gibson Dual Cat back exhaust, MSD 6AL & blaster coil, AirAid cold air intake, Dual Electric fans, Firestone Air bags with compressor, Windmaster Aerofoil Wind Deflector.

Traided in our Antiqua travel trailer for a 2007 Terry Resort 29.9 Fithwheel (Our First fiver)
cstones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fiver Hitch (Air ride 0r fixed hitch)

I have not felt the need for an "air ride" hitch. I had a 16k Reese on my F-250 and liked it. It never gave me a reason to replace it with something else. I used it to tow a 12k pound fifth wheel. I never felt/heard the "chucking" others speak of. For our F-450, I am going with Reese again, this time a Signature Series 24k. I like the install, not having rails mounted in the bed. I havn't seen any air rides that are rated for our needs, 22k+. While not air ride, I have been impressed with the Mor/ryde pin box that a friend has. Also I can purchase and self install a Signature Series for right at $1k, hitches like the TrailAir are $3k+.
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/C...host=community
CaptSkup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

I am going to have a pullrite 25K installed as a hitch, using a 5th airborne on the trailer. But, I am sure you will get a lot of differing opinions.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Love your tonneau cover, is it a jack rabbit looks like it! if so do you know the part numers for the cartrage & rails. also what make is your mud flaps.

Thanks for the reply
Chris
Delivery Date August 01/07
Will post lots of picks of our new Rig.

Web Album http://picasaweb.google.com/happycamper64

2006 Antiqua Travel Trailer (Starcraft)
1999 Chev Astro,
Mods for towing, Rancho Shocks, HD Sway bars, Locker Diff, Aerotravel Wind Deflector, Gibson Dual Cat back exhaust, MSD 6AL & blaster coil, AirAid cold air intake, Dual Electric fans, Firestone Air bags with compressor, Windmaster Aerofoil Wind Deflector.

Traided in our Antiqua travel trailer for a 2007 Terry Resort 29.9 Fithwheel (Our First fiver)
cstones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice truck Dieselgem!
I have an Escalade by KZ and had a fifth airborne installed and upon completion of the install hauled the coach down the road. Noticed it did not pull like the OEM pin box that came with the coach. Furthermore, the coach rode high in the front and put most of the weight on the back axle. Everything was good with the co that installed the 5th airborne, until I started complaining about the bad rake and did not like the load on the back axle. I was told I needed air bags, and new shocks, and my truck was not big enough to pull this rv. When I purchased the unit, I was told the 2005, F-250 was plenty big enough to pull the rig. The bolts that hold the shock in place were bent after the initial haul, and I was told the unit was made this way, and the bent bolts were made that way.
I stopped into another RV co, and asked them their opinion and they told me the wrong fifth air borne hitch had been installed and the pins or bolts should not be bent, and sounds like the wrong airborne unit had been installed on the rv. I was told I was the first one who ever complained about the airborne hitch. I hope you have had better luck and experince than I have had. Co is putting the OEM back on the unit.
bigdawgkp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Love your tonneau cover, is it a jack rabbit looks like it! if so do you know the part numers for the cartrage & rails. also what make is your mud flaps.

Thanks for the reply
Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mud Flaps are Go Industries. The top is a pace edwards jack rabitt. I do not know the part number, just had the dealer install it. Thanks for the comp.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Nice truck Dieselgem!
I have an Escalade by KZ and had a fifth airborne installed and upon completion of the install hauled the coach down the road. Noticed it did not pull like the OEM pin box that came with the coach. Furthermore, the coach rode high in the front and put most of the weight on the back axle. Everything was good with the co that installed the 5th airborne, until I started complaining about the bad rake and did not like the load on the back axle. I was told I needed air bags, and new shocks, and my truck was not big enough to pull this rv. When I purchased the unit, I was told the 2005, F-250 was plenty big enough to pull the rig. The bolts that hold the shock in place were bent after the initial haul, and I was told the unit was made this way, and the bent bolts were made that way.
I stopped into another RV co, and asked them their opinion and they told me the wrong fifth air borne hitch had been installed and the pins or bolts should not be bent, and sounds like the wrong airborne unit had been installed on the rv. I was told I was the first one who ever complained about the airborne hitch. I hope you have had better luck and experince than I have had. Co is putting the OEM back on the unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had an 04-F250 with a camper package. It was not enough truck for the escalade. That's the reason for the F-450. I don't care who swears by it, there is not F-250 for that trailer. If it could have done it safely I would have kept my old truck. With the old truck I had timbrems and towed a toyhauler with two full size harleys at 11,400 + or -. I could have never handled an escalade which I expect to top out over 19,000 with the 250.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I started out with an 18K Reese and the wife complained about the ride even with the Air-Ride Suspension. The fifth-wheel would bounce the truck. If we went over a bump, you could feel the front wheel, rear wheels, and the trailer wheels. Switched to the Trailer Saver II and it made a world of difference. We don't even know the rig is back there, with less jarring and bouncing of both the truck and the fifth-wheel.
2000 White F550 PSD CC, Cabriolet Body, Firestone Air-Ride Suspension, 33.8G Aux Fuel Tank, 3 Pod A-Pillar gauges. TTT mirrors, US Gear D-Celerator, Pre-Pump/In-Tank Mod with Racor 645R30, 203 T-Stat/Bullet Housing, Fleetrite ELC w/filter, SunCoast Tranny w/3 disk TC, Mag-Hytec tran pan, and 6.0 Tran cooler, AIS Air Filter, AIH Plug, CCV Mod, SS HPX, Zoo-Dad, Trailer Saver II Air Suspension Hitch, Brake Smart Controller. Towing a HitchHiker 35.5' LKTG Premier at 16,360#.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

http://www.mountainmaster.net/
I checked out a lot of air ride hitches because our 17,000 toybox was rough on us old folks. The up and down wasn't bad as I have greatly modified the suspension on our 06 350 dually, but the forward backward jerk and resulting backslap was the biggest problem. This is normal when a trailer outweighs the tow vehicle by 2 or 3 times. Same problem in 18 wheelers. We bought a Mountain Masters hitch. It has a patented fore and aft movement of about 2 inches that is cushioned by rubber bumpers and shock absorbers as well as an airbag and shocks for the up and down. It is not as wide as our old Reese 20,000 lb. (easier to get dirt bikes alongside of when I want to haul them in the back of the truck) but it does drop right into the Reese rails. Also the air bag and shocks are tucked in out of the way where they can't be damaged and mostly out of the direct sunlight. This hitch is built stout, no thin stuff on it. They do have covers available. Todd Piercy and his dad own the company, it is a small co. They are in Phoenix, AZ. They also do towhauler conversions. Call 1-888-686-6278 and ask for Todd. Made a world of difference to us, especially my wife who has a hip problem. Her other problem is when I get rolling, I can't seem to find a stopping spot, so 600-800 mile days are pretty common. Now she makes the days a whole lot easier, and I don't have to stop because she is in too much pain to go further. http://www.mountainmaster.net/
fullservice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just installed a 20,000 lb. pullrite in truck and fith airborne on 36ft. raptor toy hauler, this setup bucks on my truck funny it did not do that in my 2001 f250 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I just installed a 20,000 lb. pullrite in truck and fith airborne on 36ft. raptor toy hauler, this setup bucks on my truck funny it did not do that in my 2001 f250 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your airborne is not riding level with your hitch. I am not sure if you have the plate attached or not, but I would call airborne at 1-866-352-7340 and ask them. Bucking is usually caused by the unit not being level. Hope that helps you.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

DIESELGEM, what plate are you talking about, where the two plates meet from each hitch ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

We had a Reese 22k hitch installed with rails. Our Reese Drawtite 18k on the Chevy 3500 pulling the same 5er gave us no problems & really liked no rails. But it wasn't quite large enough for the 18.5k 5er. Since Reese works well with the Trail-air pin box we have, we didn't think we needed to change mfgers.
33,000 GCWR 4:30
2014 DVR Mobile Suite Estates .... our home
21k GVWR
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a Reese Signature series 18k hitch on my 05 F350 single rear wheel. When that truck bit the dust, I had the hitch installed on my new 07 F350 dually KR. I absolutely love this hitch. My new trailer is a KZ Montego Bay and it came with an Airborne hitch pin on it. I love it also. It settles down the trailer nicely. Nothing moves inside the trailer, no matter what type of roads we drive on.

Joe
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Going to pm you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.