Flatbed plans or pics - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flatbed plans or pics

I'm thinking about building a flatbed for my F250. Does anyone have any plans or pics available that I could use or get ideas from? Also be interested in bed builders and manufacturers. It might be cheaper to just buy one. I just need simple steel bed for a SRW pickup. But, would like it built as light as possible so as not to lose payload (which sucks anyway). Thanks, Nick.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
There is a how to from one of the members here on the site.

CLICK HERE to go there.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Actually, Mark has two different articles on making two different flatbeds. The other one is at:
TheDieselStop.Com - DIY Flatbed

But to double-check on buying one you might install yourself, or having one installed, first realize that a flatbed for a chassis cab will not fit on a pickup, and vice versa. So if you discuss this with a truck upfitter or bed manufacturer, be sure to specify that you are talking about a pickup and not the more common chassis cab that they usually install a flatbed on.

If you want to do some research first, then look at the sticky at the top of this forum about beds and tow bodies for chassis cab trucks. Most of those upfitters in that post have various types of beds, including flatbeds and stake bodies for pickups. If you notice such things as brand names of truck beds on the road, then you've probably seen Knapheid, Omaha Standard, Reading, Stahl, ABC, and Supreme beds and service bodies. All of those and lots of others are in that sticky post.
Beds and Tow Bodies for Chassis Cab Trucks

Also note that flatbeds and stake bodies are very similar. In fact, you would probably prefer the stake body. The only difference is the "stake" pockets around the outside edge you use to install sideboards and tailgates. A flatbed without at least a short sideboard and tailgate is very frustrating, because stuff falls off the bed too easily. So you'll probably want at least a 2"x4" or 2"x6" sideboard and tailgate to stop that from happening.

In addition to all those sources in that sticky post, your first stop should be to "let your fingers do the walking" and find an upfitter near you. In the yellow pages of the nearest big town or small city, there is proably someone listed under "truck bodies". Even out here in the sticks, we have two such upfitters that carry various name brands of flatbeds and other truck bodies. Their main business is to build oil field work trucks from chassis cabs, but they will also install a flat bed on a pickup frame.

If you DIY, then realize that components are available to finish the job. Headache racks, tool boxes or toolbox/fuel tank combos, side boxes, etc. are available on the internet or from the same truck upfitter you found in the yellow pages, as well as from lots of 4x4 and offroad shops.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've seen some nice aluminum ones I'd like to have, especially this one on the 2008.

ALUMINUM TRUCK FLATBEDS - lightweight , save fuel, and look great! by Highway Products

12/98, CC, XLT, LB, 4x4, 7.3, 6sp, '06 front end, 4" front springs, Bilsteins, DiPricol Pyro,Boost and Fuel Gauges, 35" Toyo, SouthBend Con-O, 197,000 miles, 4" exhaust, Performance Friction rotors and pads, DP F5 chip, RedHead steering box

BWD Turbonetics .84 Quickspool Turbo/Spearco
EBPV Deleted
Dieselsite BRV+, Intercooler boots
Banks Tubes
Terminator
ITP Reg. Return, Intank, and Delete

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
barnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via AIM to BlueMuleTrucking
If your going to buy I'd suggest EBY. I know they make really good stock and horse trailers so I'd imagine that their beds are just as good.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMuleTrucking View Post
If your going to buy I'd suggest EBY.
Nick is in MA, and the nearest M.H. Eby plant is in PA. But that's not so far.

Aluminum Truck Bodies, flatbed, platform, dump, grain, livestock, custom by M.H. Eby
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Nick is in MA, and the nearest M.H. Eby plant is in PA. But that's not so far.

Aluminum Truck Bodies, flatbed, platform, dump, grain, livestock, custom by M.H. Eby
Yep I know. I've been passed their plant several times, tis why they suggested it. Oh they'll probably even install it in a matter of hours for him.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Locally, cheapest steel bed is gonna run me 2k. Aluminum is gonna be around 3k. I'm going to price out steel to build my own and see if I can lose some weight overall. Probably best bet is going to be fixing up my pickup bed.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKent View Post
Locally, cheapest steel bed is gonna run me 2k. Aluminum is gonna be around 3k. I'm going to price out steel to build my own and see if I can lose some weight overall. Probably best bet is going to be fixing up my pickup bed.
Nick have you called EBY? If their prices and weights are comparable, it might be worth the day trip to go get one(and have it installed).
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88beast
don't use thick main rails just use a flat plate to hold it together or something when off truck when on use bolts through frame (rails of truck act as bed rails too
wood floors are more user friendly imo and i think lighter for the most part
a headache rack thats removable will save 400# in a pinch
i have a ton of pics im planning on doing the same when i have time and money and i got some plans for light to heavy duty beds you just modify them to fit your truck
pm me if you want with your email and ill send some

7.3 idi t70, 3g, g31,

other mods, oba, warn winch, big steel goodies including a headache rack etc.

check out my site at http://ihiditech.comeze.com/
88beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.